PDA

View Full Version : Well spec'd 850R auto.. How much?

AndysR
Friday 26th June 2015, 20:58
Been toying with the idea of giving up with the 850R, it's forever costing me a fortune and tbh I'm tired of throwing cash at it now. After a very substantial few years of cash investment I was hoping I wouldn't need to spend anymore extreme amounts of cash on it and the plan was to run it for the remainder of this year and the summer of the next with the view to selling it. Obviously as you know the car had other ideas and it's now laid up in the garage and I'm not sure if it's me or the car that feels sorry for itself but anyway...

The car runs, badly, and has an MoT, at best my guess is it wants a set of rings and quick hone, at worst it could be a new block and Pistons. So for those of you who know the car what money do you think the car currently would be worth, or more to the point should I expect for it if I were to sell it. I appreciate it's worth a lot more in bits but as much as I'm annoyed that it's gone wrong I can't bring myself to break it down into parts, I still think it's far too good for that.

Answers on a postcode, highest bidder may win a car... Lol

kmb
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:01
Probably in that condition it's worth less than a grand, better to fix her up or you'd maybe fetch more scrapping, in which case I would like first dibs on wheel and tyres if they're Volans, and maybe shocks/springs if they're recent ;)

AcidicDavey
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:03
Hmmm, it certainly is a tricky way to decide where to go from here.

Personally, I reckon you'd be daft to sell currently as realistically it isn't going to be worth too much in its current state. Or, there is danger that a breaker might buy it?

Honestly, put it in storage if possible, for years even and come back to it when in a different mindset?

Nealevo
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:04
Pm me how much you want/hoping to get and I'll bring a trailer down.

kmb
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:05
After giving me the wheels? :lol:

Ettienne
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:05
No offence kmb have you seen it? Then I'm guessing most likely not, it's worth much much more than that.

kmb
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:07
No offence kmb have you seen it? Then I'm guessing most likely not, it's worth much much more than that.

Nope - Never seen it, was only going on the description of an 850R with a broken engine (and this is what they seem to fetch on Ebay).

Hope I haven't caused offence, if it's in top condition apart from the engine, then clearly worth more!

Nealevo
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:08
It's probably the best 850 on the forum.. Please don't break it.

Ettienne
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:10
Andy is an extremely fastidious owner and has spent fortunes on the car, iirc he sent the calipers back twice as they were the wrong shade of grey lol.

Rough ball park over £3k so fixing engine puts you in at around £4k

And that's too cheap lol

kmb
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:12
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Environment/Pix/pictures/2011/9/5/1315225108441/white-backed-and-slender--007.jpg

t5 pete
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:20
It's a very tricky one to price up but a curly wurly and ide possibly go to two bags of monster munch.
Now seriously there has got to be around 4-5k in parts to sell so as a breaker 3k or for some one to re do the engine.
What you have to think about is if it's worth it to pay Russ to do you another engine I know southern rates are ridiculous expensive and at a guess if you've run lean ide said it could have well cause some major damage if you look worst case damage to piston and walls so that a new block you need and at least 1 piston and rings.
I don't know what it cost you first time around but factor that onto the 3k you should see for the car in its current state
Ide roughly estimate around 5 or 6k all up and running.
Then again if I was every to sell my fully restored Gul ide want over 10k to which I very much doubt any one would pay that the problem is what we want and what actually some one wants to pay are normally miles Appart.
If it was me ide just fit another good standard engine and sell it but then again I don't need to factor in the costs of parts and labour.
I wish you the best with what ever choice you do make.

Doingitsideways
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:23
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Environment/Pix/pictures/2011/9/5/1315225108441/white-backed-and-slender--007.jpg

That's funny!

I have to say, I agree with Davey.

Lay it up if you can and forget about it for a while, somewhere out of sight.
That will let you know how you really feel about it after a while.
If you miss it, you made the right choice, if not, move it on.

From what I've seen of it, only through pics on here, it's a fantastic car :)

Shinsplintz 101
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:27
As above. Dont break it. There's an 850r engine on the Bay for £400, another £500 to fit. And your back on the road. Appreciate your at the end of the stick with the car. If I had the funds I buy it in a flash, but I'm up to my eyeballs in cars atm. Good luck whatever you decide. Cheers, Morgan

Ettienne
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:34
What about a BBQ and we help change the engine?

Nealevo
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:36

I'd even travel down and help with that...

Ettienne
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:37
I'd even travel down and help with that...

Oblark is the one you want, a total legend with engine swaps, 2hrs and it's out

Ettienne
Friday 26th June 2015, 21:39
With the way the cars modded a 2.5 r lump shim would be ideal,or 2.4

Jamest5r
Friday 26th June 2015, 22:47

Yep I'm in for that :)

martin_r_smith
Friday 26th June 2015, 23:11
I'd be up for that too, not a mechanical legend but i can fetch the required spanners with great efficiency!

The Flying Moose
Saturday 27th June 2015, 00:01
Neal got a complete Manual conversion for the cost of three kfc big daddies so im sure we can cobble together for Andy.

One condition you. ant watch it being done... You'll cry!

stribo
Saturday 27th June 2015, 00:10
I'm in, if that's the way you want to go Andy. Personally I think it would be the most cost effective way of sorting it, then you can decide whether you want to keep it, or sell it for the money, it'll rightly command.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 27th June 2015, 02:37

I would be happy to assist in anyway I can - even if it was just with the cooking. I am mindful that there is only so much space around the engine bay, however I am fairly well experienced with these kind of jobs.

Redbrick
Saturday 27th June 2015, 02:40
It's worth what someone is prepared to pay for it remembering it is a saloon and an auto.

What mods does it have?

Paid £3000 for mine a few years ago with Gripper, KW's, 19T, AP's, rear R brakes, Milltek, ARB's, front and rear strut brace, polyed bushes. Only problem was the engine was knackered, I'm now on the third...

At the end of the day if the body work is mint then it is worth a lot to an enthusiast as a good one is hard to find nowadays.

Stick another engine in it and hide it ;) bring it out for a fortnightly blast. They need to be driven or they break.

AshDVS
Saturday 27th June 2015, 05:00
It's worth what someone is prepared to pay for it remembering it is a saloon and an auto.

What mods does it have?

Paid £3000 for mine a few years ago with Gripper, KW's, 19T, AP's, rear R brakes, Milltek, ARB's, front and rear strut brace, polyed bushes. Only problem was the engine was knackered, I'm now on the third...

At the end of the day if the body work is mint then it is worth a lot to an enthusiast as a good one is hard to find nowadays.

Stick another engine in it and hide it ;) bring it out for a fortnightly blast. They need to be driven or they break.

This is really sound advice. The cars are of the age now that 'value' is really relative to what someone will pay. An 'enthusiast' type, like you'll find on here, will likely pay more if it fits their specific criteria pretty well. They're also the type of car that does sit well, so you'll need to drag it out for a play now an then if it isnt to be a regularly driven car.

AndysR
Saturday 27th June 2015, 06:35
Here's a quick list, I'm sure I've missed some bits off but between here and VOC most of what's been done to the car is documented on project threads.

DO88 Intercooler
Snabb free flow maf to turbo pipe (power coated black)
Turbo Technics Hybrid turbo
Koni Yellows with 35mm lowering springs
JT 3" full system with 200 cell cat, completely heat wrapped apart from the cat
Snabb enlarged intake kit, essentially a 2.5 inlet with a 3" 960 throttle body (power coated black)
Smack black boost and coolant hoses
BSR optiflow induction kit.
S60R fuel injectors
Walbro fuel pump
Volvo strut brace
IPD front and rear roll bars
AP racing big brake kit with Ferrodo DS2500 brake pads and genuine AP discs. Calipers painted to match S60R calipers, disc bells painted to match rear discs.
S60R rear calipers, Volvo S60R discs Ferrodo DS2500 pads
Goodridge brake lines, all five.
Turbo tuner ecu with custom live map
Spare 850R auto ecu with live map from above flashed to ecu.
Genuine Volvo autobox oil cooler with all new lines and race spec gearbox oil, the oil was £300 on its own. Cooler fitted less than a year ago.
Five Volans all refurbished last year, not due to curbing just the odd chip.
Yokohama Parada Spec II tyres on car and P-Zero on spare, all good tread 5mm plus.
Tomcat front splitter.

Engine spec (built 2012 done approx 5,000 miles) only listing this so you know what's been done although potentially not relevant due to running fault.
CP Race Pistons 82mm bore
Snabb H beam rods
New Volvo oil pump
New Volvo main and big end bearings with all gaskets etc renewed with genuine Volvo parts

Rest of the car
Bonnet and headlight in fills recently repainted due to stone chips
Front and rear bumpers repainted due to poor quality previous job which was done before I bought it.
IPD Egg crate grille with chrome edging and '05 MY XC90 slash (Slash was over £100 twice the price of the grille lol)
Body work in a good standard odd small scratch and I think 1 maybe 2 very small parking dents, certainly presentable.

Things I've had done to restore car
A/C overhaul with new condenser, evaporator, receiver drier and compressor
Fitted genuine Volvo pollen filter kit to help prevent new evaporator from rotting as the original did.
New genuine Volvo carpet and rubber over mats
Brand new Volvo drivers seat cover the interior is probably one of the best standard R interior I've seen in a saloon now, wasn't when I got it mind.
Genuine Volvo headlight covers
Brand new Volvo front side markers
Brand new Volvo front and rear mudflaps
Brand new front wheel arch liners
Brand new windscreen wiper arms
Brand new headlight wiper arms
Brand new headlight wiper motor
Brand new brake master cylinder, brake fluid reservoir
Brand new coolant header tank
Brand new throttle and brake pedal rubbers
Radio upgrade to SC-805 from 1997 MY car with brand new remote control, still has original fit CD Changer.
Brand new Volvo MAF sensor
Brand new throttle position sensor
Brand new idle control valve

Up until it lost compression the car was driving faultlessly and everything worked from the rear ashtray bulb to the A/C. Gearbox performed faultlessly extremely smooth and always providing immediate lockdown on demand.

Car has covered 114,000 miles from new, has two stamped service books and a box file of receipts in date order with all mot's

Car had an agreed value of £8,500 and I was considering increasing that this year due to the brake work which was all done last year, everything I ever had done to the car involved brand new Volvo parts as the first option or the best aftermarket you could get if Volvo parts weren't available. I've spent more than a decent house deposit on this car and for the last 9 years it's been my hobby, restoring, polishing and enjoying but now I've got to the point of just being tired of paying to fix it when it breaks... I was relying on the car to finally take me and a group of guys to the ring this year and it's let me down massively... I'm gutted and not sure I want to give it the chance to do the same thing again at a later date.

AndysR
Saturday 27th June 2015, 06:36
Oh and thanks to all the kind offers of popping another engine in it but if that's going to happen id rather have it to the same spec as the one coming out, infact I'd rather retain the original lump for an silly OCD thing that I have where all serial numbers should match.

AndysR
Saturday 27th June 2015, 06:38
Forgot to mention that the O2 sensor and fuel pressure regulator were also recently renewed, brand new Volvo of course

Oh and the drivers seat belt was renewed when I bought it with a brand new Volvo time, cars done around 20,000 miles since I've had it over the 9 years.

Ettienne
Saturday 27th June 2015, 07:22

What mods does it have?

That's a good buy with the spec, where as I sold my std manual Gul estate for £4500 last year, in pretty good condition minor stuff to make excellent.

I also sold the olive 854 t5r modded for £4500 with some extra bits and the modded laser v70r for £2700

It's def what someone will pay.

I wouldn't sell my 854 Gul less than £6k which no one would pay or the sonic for a similar price, due to liking them and spending bloody hours under them sorting all the issues number plate to number plate.

LiamT4
Saturday 27th June 2015, 12:16
£3000?

Its a stunning car in great condition, apart from the engine. I can't offer you more, because i'd need to pay someone to fix the engine.

t5 pete
Saturday 27th June 2015, 15:19
£3000?

Its a stunning car in great condition, apart from the engine. I can't offer you more, because i'd need to pay someone to fix the engine.

TBH as I put earlyer in the current state I thinks that's a fair offer

Jamest5r
Saturday 27th June 2015, 15:25
Andy, unfortunately the only way your going to recoup the monies you want is to strip every mod off the car and sell them, put a.standard engine and parts back on then you'll probably get 3k for a.very clean 850r plus the money from the mods on top.

claymore
Saturday 27th June 2015, 15:42
how about a raffle on facebook, 49 numbers at £75 each, I'd deffo buy a number.

merc85
Saturday 27th June 2015, 20:59
Echo Jamest5r :(

T5frankie
Sunday 28th June 2015, 11:23
sorry but the best thing about andys car was the engine and if its knackered its a broken 850r auto, and is worth more in parts than selling it as it is, it has nice bodywork but isnt original with sprayed bumper tops, auto saloons are also the ones people never wanted. its not an original manual T-5R estate with low miles which are the ones to have, Best manual conversion it at same time as engine change to make it worth keeping.,
I'm having a break from constantly pouring money into making old volvos faster than theyre meant to go, they all just go bang in the end.

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 28th June 2015, 11:36
O
sorry but the best thing about andys car was the engine and if its knackered its a broken 850r auto, and is worth more in parts than selling it as it is, it has nice bodywork but isnt original with sprayed bumper tops, auto saloons are also the ones people never wanted. its not an original manual T-5R estate with low miles which are the ones to have, Best manual conversion it at same time as engine change to make it worth keeping.,
I'm having a break from constantly pouring money into making old volvos faster than theyre meant to go, they all just go bang in the end.

For once I agree with Frank, sad but true. Manual estates are desire able, auto saloon with broken engine, £1500 tops, so best to break it and make a nice tidy sum.

S70T5Chris
Sunday 28th June 2015, 11:49
Just going through your list, I reckon your sat on £5-6k if you were to break it. And you'd sell most of it pretty rapidly I'd imagine. Unfortunately it might be your best option.

S70T5Chris
Sunday 28th June 2015, 11:50
O

For once I agree with Frank, sad but true. Manual estates are desire able, auto saloon with broken engine, £1500 tops, so best to break it and make a nice tidy sum.

It's worth more than that mate. The front and rear brakes would bring in £1500 alone. I reckon it's worth £3k as it sits. But I wouldn't let it go for that, I'd break it.

T5frankie
Sunday 28th June 2015, 12:03
It's worth more than that mate. The front and rear brakes would bring in £1500 alone. I reckon it's worth £3k as it sits. But I wouldn't let it go for that, I'd break it.

but andy doesnt do his own mechanical work

AndysR
Sunday 28th June 2015, 12:57
Firstly thanks to all those who've provided an input and also to those who've contacted me separately.

Yesterday morning I was ready to let the car go, having been contacted with offers from genuine people who I know would look after it. This would be for half the value I think it can realise. But as chance would have it, while at Goodwood fos, I managed to bump into my dads old car and current owner. It was his pride and joy and tbh had some personal value to me too with memories and experiences. The car was stunning exactly as I remember it and I was equally as happy to see it being appreciated, as I was sad that it wasn't my dad who still owned it. This got me thinking about mine. How would I feel selling the car off as a complete car, but non runner, for a price which isn't realistic of its true value. To then see someone else enjoy the benefits of the investment, I genuinely think I'd be gutted. I also think that at some point in the not too distant future that the car will appreciate in value, I don't really care that it's not a manual estate tbh as the amount of interest it's been receiving as a broken auto saloon with painted bumper tops tells me that it's still very much desireable. So while I'm enjoying the 760 I think I'm going to leave it in the garage and forget about it, with the view to getting it repaired at some stage either next year or the year after. That's my current stance on the situation with the car and unless for some reason I suddenly need some cash in a hurry that's what I'm going to do. So it will be back at some stage, just not this year, thanks again for all your input, as said it's been much appreciated. To those who've registered an interest in the car, thank you for doing so I will keep you in mind should circumstances change.

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 28th June 2015, 13:06
Good decision Andy. A general question to everyone though. Why are people so hung up on what the car may be worth in the future? I'd rather enjoy driving the car as much as possible, instead of once in a blue moon and worrying about putting the mileage up etc.

claymore
Sunday 28th June 2015, 14:10
Good decision Andy. A general question to everyone though. Why are people so hung up on what the car may be worth in the future? I'd rather enjoy driving the car as much as possible, instead of once in a blue moon and worrying about putting the mileage up etc.
Good question Mike, I had a friend who would buy a new performance Ford every three years, he would leave all the plastic protectors on the door cards, cover the nice recaro seats with cheap seat covers front and back and I once remember he was going from Machynlleth to Shrewsbury
and turned back when he was only about 7 miles from Shrewsbury as they had just tarmacked the road, All he did was make it a lovely car for the next owner, he can't have possibly enjoyed the cars himself.

volvokid
Sunday 28th June 2015, 16:45
Good question Mike, I had a friend who would buy a new performance Ford every three years, he would leave all the plastic protectors on the door cards, cover the nice recaro seats with cheap seat covers front and back and I once remember he was going from Machynlleth to Shrewsbury
and turned back when he was only about 7 miles from Shrewsbury as they had just tarmacked the road, All he did was make it a lovely car for the next owner, he can't have possibly enjoyed the cars himself.

The part of the enjoyment is keeping it in good condition some people enjoy that more than the driving experience itself.

Glad your keeping it Andy

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 28th June 2015, 21:38

Funnily enough, I've just got back from a little M meet. One of the guys has a 1M, only made 450 of them. New they were £40000, and 4 years on they still fetch £40000. He's the second owner and it's now on 41000 miles, 2000 he has put on it in 6 months. He's love driving it. Another guy who turned up with his e46 M3, 13 years old and he does a 1000 a year in it and he's had it 3 years. He got worried when the rain clouds came over. I asked him why buy a caryou really wanted, but don't use it. He got ££££ty with me and said it would be worth more in the future. Sad really.

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 28th June 2015, 21:39
The part of the enjoyment is keeping it in good condition some people enjoy that more than the driving experience itself.

Glad your keeping it Andy

But I do both, I maintain it, detail it etc etc and then really enjoy driving it every day.

foammanmark
Sunday 28th June 2015, 21:42
But I do both, I maintain it, detail it etc etc and then really enjoy driving it every day.

You have to drive them or I totally can't see the point in having them.

volvokid
Sunday 28th June 2015, 23:04

Yeah and then some dick head could write you off :) that's why I have my other R I'm not so sentimental about it plus it drives better than the old bus anyway

claymore
Monday 29th June 2015, 07:40
Yeah and then some dick head could write you off :) that's why I have my other R I'm not so sentimental about it plus it drives better than the old bus anyway
That's a really perculiar thing to say, I see no point in having a car if not to drive, it's not as if it's an E type or old Ferrari which is appreciating by 10's of thousands of pounds each year.

volvokid
Monday 29th June 2015, 08:47
That's a really perculiar thing to say, I see no point in having a car if not to drive, it's not as if it's an E type or old Ferrari which is appreciating by 10's of thousands of pounds each year.

That's your opinion though. Mine is that I always wanted that particular car and now I have it I don't want it to get ruined by driving it. Like I said I I've another car that is pretty much better in everyway so I drive that one so that the saffy is kept in good condition. I'm not worried about how much it's worth, I know its not worth much. The car costs me nothing , I would probably have a different view on it if I was paying money for the car. People collect model cars because they like them, turns out I have the real deal and it will stay that way :)

960kg
Monday 29th June 2015, 11:48
All he did was make it a lovely car for the next owner

This is the quote of my life with all my motors...

I have spent thousands and thousands just to let the future owner get the best from them!

My boss in the sixties all ways had a new car every 2yrs. those were the times when undersealing was an expensive optional extra which he always had done.........until i told him he was just paying for the car to be looked after for the future owner!

One of my Mk1 Lotus Cortina`s in great condition with a brand new exhaust i sold when the speedo cable broke and i did not have time to fix because of work ....it broke my heart seeing it drive a way but it was too late by then...

I fully understand the passion we all have and what with this OCD thingy ...i have to wipe the dash with a microfibre cloth everytime i lock up the Merc. to keep the dust off, what a prat is that....even at my age...Lol

All i can say is Move On as i did cut your losses and enjoy the next motor and get the problem one out the way and out the mind....you will feel better for it.

Kingsford G
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 00:59
The way I see it its one of the best R`s on here if not the best and lots of money spent on and I understand why were thinking of selling it cos sometimes u have to draw the line.In terms of sentimental value u can keep it as u`ve decided now or just move on and I`m sure there many other car that would make you happy but after a 9 years ownership I can`t be too sure.It is sad to see that engine coughing after all that money and effort.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 01:11
Speaking as someone who is in a similar boat - I think parking it up for a while and trying something else for a bit is no bad thing. I am very attached to my SSB despite all the hassle. However if your heart is just not in it anymore then perhaps a clean start is something to consider. Can't think of anything else I'd really like.

jamesy12345
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 07:52
Speaking as someone who is in a similar boat - I think parking it up for a while and trying something else for a bit is no bad thing. I am very attached to my SSB despite all the hassle. However if your heart is just not in it anymore then perhaps a clean start is something to consider. Can't think of anything else I'd really like.

It's the same with my 480 - it's worth far less than the money spent on it, but I never manage to get rid. I've promised many times to sell it (& have even sold/gave it away twice) and it keeps coming back....sometimes in bits!

kmb
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 07:55
That's what I like to term a yo-yo car :)

jamesy12345
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 08:06
That's what I like to term a yo-yo car :)

:) the string has snapped at the moment mate (engine blown)....so I'm trying to squeeze a T4 engine in there....

kmb
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 08:15
The yo-yo that gets a bit more interesting each time it comes back! Like the sound of it with a T4.

I used to drive a 480 Turbo (was a pool car in a small family company I worked for) about 20 years ago, I had a Citroen ZX 1.9i Volcane at the time and remember being distinctly underwhelmed by the Volvo. But I did like the separate rear seats :lol:

Bugger, showing my age.

jamesy12345
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 08:44
The yo-yo that gets a bit more interesting each time it comes back! Like the sound of it with a T4.

I used to drive a 480 Turbo (was a pool car in a small family company I worked for) about 20 years ago, I had a Citroen ZX 1.9i Volcane at the time and remember being distinctly underwhelmed by the Volvo. But I did like the separate rear seats :lol:

Bugger, showing my age.

I could waffle on loads about 480's but I don't want to de-rail the Andy's thread...they are under-powered as standard but there's a good few of us with ECU's fiddled with by a chap named Robou in the Netherlands. About the 480 T4 - my ideas are great but sometimes reality gets in the way - promise to make a project thread if I get anywhere...!

http://volvo480.spreadshirt.fr/roboumod-C316829

ZX volcane very underated btw

Apologies Andy!

kmb
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 08:53
Last invasion into this thread (ooops apologies) - I replaced the ZX Volcane with the ZX 16V (mi16 lump), it never really seemed as good a car as the Volcane.

I shall await the yo-yo project thread James :P

stribo
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 09:16
Great to hear you're going to persevere with the car Andy, my only concern is parking a car up for a year or 2, really does it no favours at all, bearings and seals dry out, bushes perish, brakes rust and seize. A car that only needs an engine now, may need quite a bit more work a year or 2 down the line.

jamesy12345
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 09:54
Great to hear you're going to persevere with the car Andy, my only concern is parking a car up for a year or 2, really does it no favours at all, bearings and seals dry out, bushes perish, brakes rust and seize. A car that only needs an engine now, may need quite a bit more work a year or 2 down the line.

Very true & becomes even worse if the car is stored near the coast

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 11:09
it keeps coming back....sometimes in bits!

At least it came back from me in one piece!

Lol :D

jamesy12345
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 11:11
At least it came back from me in one piece!

Lol :D

it did that! You even sorted the low idle :) (hopefully no-one will find me out pretending to give cars away and really getting work done on them.....speaking of which, have you finished with that 460 turbo yet...:lol:

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 11:32
it did that! You even sorted the low idle :) (hopefully no-one will find me out pretending to give cars away and really getting work done on them.....speaking of which, have you finished with that 460 turbo yet...:lol:

Currently trying to decide what to do tbh.

The 480 has had it, so will be going, and I don't think Ray will take another hard winter as Louise's daily.
I'm seriously looking at getting her a C70 ragtop (she likes her old man's coupé) and taking the 460 off the road for some serious work.

Tim Williams
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 18:10
I know from personal experience it's a hard decision but as long as you don't make a rash one you will always be able to change your mind later. If you're parking the car up whilst thinking about it why not remove the cylinder head as it's only 2-2.5 hours work without rushing and then you will know far better what might be needed to be done?

An 850 engine as a replacement is a poor idea as the Mahle pistons cause a lot of bore wear. An engine from an S,V or C70 would be far better with the AE pistons. If it did need a bottom end for only slightly more money you could gov2.4 or 2.5 which would suit an auto box very well.

LiamT4
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 18:29
People seem to forget that these cars are rare now, so they don't have standard value anymore. The fact it has a knackered engine isn't as important to me as the actual bodywork, interior and chassis being in top condition.

I can say for definite that if Andy decided to fit a standard engine, sold the AP's, then put the car for sale at 4k, i'd drive all the way down south and give him the money tomorrow.

Its in my favourite colour, the bodywork and interior are A1 and its auto, thats exactly what i want.

Many people would laugh and say an old, auto, saloon volvo (that isn't yellow) is worth nowhere near 4k, but to me it most definitely is.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 19:14
People seem to forget that these cars are rare now, so they don't have standard value anymore. The fact it has a knackered engine isn't as important to me as the actual bodywork, interior and chassis being in top condition.

I can say for definite that if Andy decided to fit a standard engine, sold the AP's, then put the car for sale at 4k, i'd drive all the way down south and give him the money tomorrow.

Its in my favourite colour, the bodywork and interior are A1 and its auto, thats exactly what i want.

Many people would laugh and say an old, auto, saloon volvo (that isn't yellow) is worth nowhere near 4k, but to me it most definitely is.

Well said :)

LiamT4
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 19:22
Well said :)

I can say that because i've been looking for 6 months now and an auto saloon in excellent condition are very, very rare.

What i'd give for an auto s70r, in silver, in good condition................

Ettienne
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 19:24

I wouldn't laugh sold my 854 (man conversion) for £4500, Andy's bodywork is in much better condition as well.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 19:40
I wouldn't laugh sold my 854 (man conversion) for £4500, Andy's bodywork is in much better condition as well.

It's not always about the money though, I sold a half decent t5r for a grand because I knew who it was going to i could of made more money :)

stribo
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 19:42
It's not always about the money though, I sold a half decent t5r for a grand because I knew who it was going to i could of made more money :)

But you knew he'd never beat you on the strip. ;)

Ettienne
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 20:27

So did I lol, I doubt I'll sell anymore swap is possible, I can't be arsed to worked on them, so it would have to be something mechanically sorted or a bike possibly

AndysR
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 21:49
Some interesting points there to note.

In answer to the value question here's my take...

The car owes me more than I care to consider, that's not what it's about. I bought the car because I always fancied one and I liked the look of it, as it happens it's unoriginal painted bumper tops were the thing that made the car catch my eye. It was a great car and I instantly knew I had to have it when I went to view it, like all used cars it had its issues and here we are 9 years later and a list of faults much much shorter than it was when I bought it, namely the engine. The car's been a project for me and I'm not finished with it.
Since I've owned it the values of a reasonable 850R have gone from £3,500 down and back up again.
There was a point when a reasonable 850R could be had for £1,500, it would then need plenty of things sorting on it with a healthy cash injection to make it a good useable/reliable car and something you could hope to get more power from. Of course you could forget all that, bang a £20.00 bleed valve on it as soon as you bought it and kill it in minutes then moan that Volvo's are unreliable heaps of crap. That of course depends on your attitude towards cars.

Anyway now you can't get a reasonable one for that cost, you can however get a wreck... When they come up for sale now it's rare to see them for sale for less than £2,000 and a good one, when it does come up for sale, is a lot more. So why's that? Because people bought them for £1,500 tried to make them go faster for less that £50.00 and killed them when you could still get another one £1,500.00.
So now thanks to that type of approach to cars there's a lot less left and that's because people like me made the investment and looked after their cars.. So in away I've spent a lot got a lot out and seen the backside fall out the car and then start to come back again. It's not been pampered in the true sense of the word, it's been used and enjoyed in the way I enjoy a car, that's clean looking, well maintained, subtly tweaked and with all features of the car in fine working order. It's done in excess of 20,000 miles since I've owned it and for a 2nd car used for social reasons only I think that's not bad mileage. To add to that I've no idea what power it was kicking out but I do know it outperformed many 300 HP manual T5's prior to its engine build and was even quicker after that, in fact I believe it still holds its own on the 1/4 mile board, not bad for an auto running 277hp as it was in its old state of tune!

Having got to where it is now and knowing the value to get it to this level I know getting another one like it is to put it bluntly impossible for £4-5k, and that's with the engine running on 1.5 cylinders. So I guess from that point of view the car is worth more to me with a dead engine sitting in the garage than to sell now and try to find another when I realise I've made a mistake a sold the car I worked hard to get to the level it's at now.

Shinsplintz 101
Tuesday 30th June 2015, 22:21
You're right to keep it. You'll NEVER get another as good as this one, not without sinking the same money in all over again. Which seems a little wasteful. I agree with all he above points. R's are now pretty rare, good ones even thinner on the ground. Investment or no, if you want a nice one get your wallet out & prepare for a little pain. It'll be worth it as pound for pound I can't think of a better performance car, that doesn't make you look like your having a chronic midlife crisis. I am biased, but this is a Volvo forum!