PDA

View Full Version : B*gger. Oil dump.

TenaciousC
Thursday 25th June 2015, 18:33
Something oil cooler related has gone spectacularly wrong!

Oil pressure light, smoke, and there is a huge puddle of oil under the front of the car. The AA man cometh! Engine was running OK at shutdown, so hopefully no serious damage done! (Just a bloody mess).

C

stribo
Thursday 25th June 2015, 18:43
Had the same happen to our V70R, luckily Shem was driving it at the time, at stopped it immediately, had no problems once a new rad was fitted.

Ettienne
Thursday 25th June 2015, 19:58
My oil cooler on the gul is weird, it's new and done less than 1,000 miles and not been fitted by me and the rest of the car was a joke the work on it.

Anyhow I get literally one drip from the car after it's been used, I tend to think its oil thermostat housing or lines (o-rings).

No mixing of the oil and water etc.

I tend to think it's how it's been fitted, but it's so small I can't track it down, I may just use it a bit and see what happens as it's been laid up for 3 years.

stribo
Thursday 25th June 2015, 20:18
My oil cooler on the gul is weird, it's new and done less than 1,000 miles and not been fitted by me and the rest of the car was a joke the work on it.

Anyhow I get literally one drip from the car after it's been used, I tend to think its oil thermostat housing or lines (o-rings).

No mixing of the oil and water etc.

I tend to think it's how it's been fitted, but it's so small I can't track it down, I may just use it a bit and see what happens as it's been laid up for 3 years.

Check the clips on the oil cooler.

Ettienne
Thursday 25th June 2015, 20:24
Yep did all that (as you'd expect) first thought was clips, o-rings or therm housing, but it's so small it's not obvious.

I suppose it could be a split pipe, but it would be the first I've had.

I'll give it a drive and see.

TenaciousC
Thursday 25th June 2015, 20:25
It was one of my home brew cooler lines. The hose clamp I used wasn't quite tight enough and the line must have slid off the metal connector. I'll need to amend the howto guide (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?55903-Recondition-Volvo-850-Engine-Oil-cooler-lines). How embarrassing!

The AA man was a top guy and had an appropriate jubilee clip.

C

Ettienne
Thursday 25th June 2015, 21:17
It was one of my home brew cooler lines. The hose clamp I used wasn't quite tight enough and the line must have slid off the metal connector. I'll need to amend the howto guide (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?55903-Recondition-Volvo-850-Engine-Oil-cooler-lines). How embarrassing!

The AA man was a top guy and had an appropriate jubilee clip.

C

Ironic I was just saying that lol.

Just been out in the gul and nothing, I'll just keep an eye on it.