PDA

View Full Version : head bolts

weagie
Monday 22nd June 2015, 15:04
As you will ask be aware I'm having to do my head gasket and looking for a bit of advice regarding the head bolts. I know they have to be replaced so after a quick look in pfv I see there's two variations. Basically cheap ones and not cheap ones. Obviously saving some money is always good but should I get the cheapest option? I'm thinking they are just bolts so what's the difference but they are there to do a really important job. Any one else used the cheap ones?

Doingitsideways
Monday 22nd June 2015, 15:27
Before you go splashing out on bolts, I'd see if you can get the old ones out first.

Steel bolts in an alloy block. They have a nasty habit of snapping :(

Tomcat
Monday 22nd June 2015, 15:46
Cough er... Yeah I agree

MaxTS
Monday 22nd June 2015, 15:47
Yeah, I find it helps when removed head bolts with a breaker to support the socket with one hand and whilst pulling the other end. This also helps preserve the tools.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 22nd June 2015, 16:29
I rounded of 5 of my head bolts using a hex 14mm with just slightly the wrong shoulder. Make sure it goes all the way on to the bolt heads - which are recessed. I stretched a set of head bolts running 1.7bar. I now have a set of ARP bolts. Sadly I still have other issues (but that's a long story)

Dangerous Dave
Monday 22nd June 2015, 19:17
I got mine from ebay, set of Febi Bilstein ones, grade 10 same as genuine Volvo ones, came in a branded sealed box.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400370667164 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400370667164)

This is for a set of 14 (for the 6 cylinder volvo) so you get two spare in case

weagie
Monday 22nd June 2015, 23:20
Cheers, I'm now nervous as hell about doing this lol. Okay, with regards to replacing them, cheap option or not lol. I'm not even thinking about the old ones going pop, no no no.

Doingitsideways
Monday 22nd June 2015, 23:32
Cough er... Yeah I agree

Aye, one went on the S70 when Shem fitted the head.

Cheers, I'm now nervous as hell about doing this lol. Okay, with regards to replacing them, cheap option or not lol. I'm not even thinking about the old ones going pop, no no no.

TBH, I wouldn't go for cheap ones if you can avoid it.
No real reason behind that apart from personal experience from known brands vs cheapos on other stuff.

Those Febi jobbies Dave posted should do you right. Good price too.

weagie
Tuesday 23rd June 2015, 16:31
Are those ebay ones okay for the 850? Probably a daft question but better to ask lol

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 23rd June 2015, 17:06
Yes they're the same, the ones I bought have been fitted and had no problems with them. I did compare them to the ones that came out and also to an old set from my dad's 850 and they were the same.