PDA

View Full Version : Rear springs for 855R Eibach's too soft

Theador
Thursday 18th June 2015, 16:54
I've got Eibachs on my 855R, I always thought they were a bit soft, Shem's just agreed they feel soft.

I don't want to go putting coilovers on as I've only just refreshed all the suspension.

So does anyone know of a stiffer spring that would work well on the rear? I'm not bothered about lowering (which is why I went for the hibachis as they sit pretty much at the same height as standard R suspension), if anything, the back could come back up a bit.

Would a set of reinforced springs do the job?

jamesy12345
Thursday 18th June 2015, 17:03
Maybe try fitting an uprated ARB or have you done that already

..or a rear strut

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28820&d=1430828028

I know those won't stiffen the back end like a different spring rate but does help firm things up back there - mine are Eibach's & seem fine to me with the mentioned parts (IPD rear ARB and Ultra racing strut)....mind you it's a saloon..!

nottsgreent5
Thursday 18th June 2015, 18:13
My estates on eibachs and thats pretty stiff at the rear

craigoodwood
Thursday 18th June 2015, 19:39
ive recently changed my eibach rears for a pair of prosport springs i already had the prosport dampers on, to be fair it is a little stiffer but i dont feel ive gained anything other than making the boot trim rattle more ;)

MaxTS
Friday 19th June 2015, 08:30
You could put those spring stiffeners in? they will increase stiffness as you are loosing a coil of the spring.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?183007-Ipd%92s-spring-adjusters

Nealevo
Friday 19th June 2015, 09:51
caravan spring assistors, yes its crude, but it may be a cheap and simple fix before you spend loads

Theador
Friday 19th June 2015, 11:09
Tried the caravan spring assisters. I put them in at the bottom of the spring so will try them at the top and see if it's any better. I've got the IPD ARB already in. I'm using Bilstein B4 shocks. Don't really want to put a rear strut brace in as still use the car for lugging stuff around now and then.

DSK on T5D5 sent me this link, which may also be of use to some of you, they'll make custom springs and prices looked reasonable at a glance: http://www.dfaulknersprings.com/

Eibach seem to specify the same spring for both Estate and Saloon which I thought was a bit weird.

jamesy12345
Friday 19th June 2015, 11:23
Don't really want to put a rear strut brace in as still use the car for lugging stuff around now and then...

Eibach seem to specify the same spring for both Estate and Saloon which I thought was a bit weird.

I don;t think the rear struts take up much room on the estates - Acidic Davey has a picture of his in the his AWD thread

That is odd about the same spring rates - more weight over the back you would expect a difference

JT
Friday 19th June 2015, 17:48
Faulkner springs are very good.
They won't advise you on what you need, so you need to tell them.
If you take a spring to them, they can pretty much do what ever you like.
:)

Theador
Friday 19th June 2015, 19:06
I've been told that on Coil Overs, a 6kg spring works well on an 855. I'm not going down the Coil Over route, can I simply rock up with my old spring and say "I want one of these, but 6kg progressive"?

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know if the same terminology translates out of Coil Over world.

Faulkner springs are very good.
They won't advise you on what you need, so you need to tell them.
If you take a spring to them, they can pretty much do what ever you like.
:)

JT
Friday 19th June 2015, 20:57
I would say, yes you can.
They can measure the spring rate and free length then design and make your spec

Theador
Saturday 20th June 2015, 08:38
Ha, they're in Chi; my old stomping ground

Theador
Saturday 20th June 2015, 08:53
I guess another way would be to find out the standard rear spring rate and the eibach rear spring rate, and then calculate from that.

Anybody?

JT
Saturday 20th June 2015, 09:38
Ha, they're in Chi; my old stomping ground

Bognor, last time I was there........:)

deathrider311271
Saturday 20th June 2015, 09:54
Tried the caravan spring assisters. I put them in at the bottom of the spring so will try them at the top and see if it's any better. I've got the IPD ARB already in. I'm using Bilstein B4 shocks. Don't really want to put a rear strut brace in as still use the car for lugging stuff around now and then.

DSK on T5D5 sent me this link, which may also be of use to some of you, they'll make custom springs and prices looked reasonable at a glance: http://www.dfaulknersprings.com/

the shocks is your problem they are too soft on damping and rebound not the springs, i thought the same until i changed to koni yellow setup and its a completly different ride.

craigoodwood
Saturday 20th June 2015, 09:57
Tried the caravan spring assisters. I put them in at the bottom of the spring so will try them at the top and see if it's any better.

ive only ever seen the in the middle of the spring...

Theador
Saturday 20th June 2015, 16:04
Bognor, last time I was there........:)

Even better.

the shocks is your problem they are too soft on damping and rebound not the springs, i thought the same until i changed to koni yellow setup and its a completly different ride.

I did wonder this. Was thinking of getting the Bilstein B6's to replace the B4's as Koni seem to only sell in a full set?