PDA

View Full Version : Good Vs Bad cars

silverswedemachine
Tuesday 16th June 2015, 20:02
Its been a few years since I was in the Volvo loop, I am currently without a car, I have already had 2 850 T5's in the past and fancy another. Now, I have recently looked at a supposed 'good' example but as far I could see the guy was off his head askin the money he wanted for a nail. I do fancy another MANUAL estate but after seeing that particular example and looking at other adverts I am starting to wonder if there are any GOOD examples out there that Joe Public are selling, I know yourselves have top notch motors but "have the 850s reached a point in time where there are more bad ones than good ones that are being sold?", I know you will find the odd very bad example but am starting to worry that I might not find something that I like/am happy with: body first - running gear second. I am not after a minter at all, but looking around the old tin worm is starting to make its presence more known, do these 850s rot chassis wise? I know doors, tailgate and wings are getting common but I always thought body wise they were pretty good. As you can probably tell the one I looked at had 'issues'... I think I might end up going newer as good examples that require general tidying and fettling are getting rare...

Mark

t5 pete
Tuesday 16th June 2015, 20:14
Ide say there's more ££££ters than good ones if it's a 850 you want and can wait ide personally wait until a forum member decided to sell theirs.
As for rot tbh there not bad at all yes there are a few with rot but there the minority.
Also if you can live with a auto james t5r has a nice one for sale all kitted out

Jamest5r
Tuesday 16th June 2015, 20:16
At the end.of the day they are 20 year old motor's, unless you strike lucky and get an old family car that's been looked after which is very rare now the only other ones are enthusiast's and knacker's :)

Saaamon
Tuesday 16th June 2015, 20:34
Have to echo what James said, also think prices are on the rise slightly with T5s.

kmb
Tuesday 16th June 2015, 20:40
Just saw one on Gumtree that looks decent for a 'bag of sand', Kent area:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/volvo/volvo-850-t5-cd-manual-burgundy-black-leather-/1119788040

silverswedemachine
Tuesday 16th June 2015, 21:09
thanks lads, yeah I know its either finding 'family owned' example or dropping on an enthusiast car, I suppose I should also added I quite like something to do so a kitted out one might be great but doesn't leave me much to do at the weekend. As for that advert, what car do you think I went and looked at? This is supposed to be clean. To quote the seller "this one doesn't suffer with lacquer peel like many of these" but forgot to tell me about the hole in the drivers arch/sill. A***hole

kmb
Tuesday 16th June 2015, 21:12
:lol: There aren't many to choose from and it does look decent in the pictures, so I'd probably have wasted a viewing there as well!

silverswedemachine
Tuesday 16th June 2015, 21:19
Yeah but the trader is a liar, the first thing I asked was about rust, I suppose I should have said rot... Its also NOT leaking from the flywheel seal and lubricating the underneath... :mad:

SB1909
Tuesday 16th June 2015, 21:27
He states in the add that CD models were top specced, is that true? if so ill be ecstatic that i dont have a mid range model :mischievo luxury and class for me it seems!

Jamest5r
Tuesday 16th June 2015, 22:08

http://www.gumtree.com/p/volvo/volvo-850-t5-cd-manual-burgundy-black-leather-/1119788040

A grand for that is big money could have something like this for 1350 tastefully modded :)

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/jamesclancy/DSC_1172_zpser94co5y.jpg (http://s790.photobucket.com/user/jamesclancy/media/DSC_1172_zpser94co5y.jpg.html)

kmb
Tuesday 16th June 2015, 22:10
Yep - Looks nice that one. Where is it advertised?

Ps - To the thread starter, I have one I'm very happy with so not looking to steal your buy :lol:

t5 pete
Tuesday 16th June 2015, 22:13
A grand for that is big money could have something like this for 1350 tastefully modded :)

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/jamesclancy/DSC_1172_zpser94co5y.jpg (http://s790.photobucket.com/user/jamesclancy/media/DSC_1172_zpser94co5y.jpg.html)

Lost count how many times I've said this but people minds well just buy a decent car in the first place

Jamest5r
Tuesday 16th June 2015, 22:58
Yep - Looks nice that one. Where is it advertised?

Ps - To the thread starter, I have one I'm very happy with so not looking to steal your buy :lol:

It's not advertised really its just one of mine that I might sell as i very rarely use it, koni adjustables, 16T, angled dp, cat.back, removable cat, mapped, refurbished Volans new tyres etc,

Orca2
Tuesday 16th June 2015, 23:06
It looks lovely mate , you should sell it to me , I already have a C70 in that colour, it would make a perfect set..

kmb
Wednesday 17th June 2015, 11:57
It's not advertised really its just one of mine that I might sell as i very rarely use it, koni adjustables, 16T, angled dp, cat.back, removable cat, mapped, refurbished Volans new tyres etc,

It does look great - That will be snapped up as those mods are exactly what people would pursue, the price of these seems stronger now for good ones, what mileage?

Nealevo
Wednesday 17th June 2015, 12:26
Finding a good one is getting harder in the current market, they are out there but they want silly money, Unfortunately according to the price guide T5s are going up in value ever so slightly, sub £1k cars are pretty much dogs, shining on the outside but with hidden issues. something listed with a small oil leak could cost hundreds to put right, i would personally spend a little more and and search for a good one, does it have to be a manual?? autos are very capable if you are never going near a track or 1/4 mile, look for one that has had all the mods done which make them more fun to drive, a good auto mapped correctly can see near 270 bhp if you want to impress your mates down the pub with figures.

Jamest5r
Wednesday 17th June 2015, 13:09
It does look great - That will be snapped up as those mods are exactly what people would pursue, the price of these seems stronger now for good ones, what mileage?

About 191000 at a guess odometer stopped working 10k ago :)

Jamest5r
Wednesday 17th June 2015, 13:10
Finding a good one is getting harder in the current market, they are out there but they want silly money, Unfortunately according to the price guide T5s are going up in value ever so slightly, sub £1k cars are pretty much dogs, shining on the outside but with hidden issues. something listed with a small oil leak could cost hundreds to put right, i would personally spend a little more and and search for a good one, does it have to be a manual?? autos are very capable if you are never going near a track or 1/4 mile, look for one that has had all the mods done which make them more fun to drive, a good auto mapped correctly can see near 270 bhp if you want to impress your mates down the pub with figures.

Yep 271 bhp on that automatic.

Shinsplintz 101
Wednesday 17th June 2015, 17:32

I actually bought that car about 4 weeks ago on ebay for £500, was going to pass it on to the flying banana who was after a manual estate. Couldn't collect it in the end as I blew my back at work & haven't been able to drive since. The original owner didn't mention rust either, or anything major mechanically & sold it almost immediately. The new owner/trader is just trying to turn a quick buck it seems, without attending to anything on the car. Shame, it looked ok in the photos.

To the OP - I've got a white 855 T5, manual, full blue leather interior, 140k ish - will be up for sale in a little while, there's s project thread on here for what's been done so far. I'm behind schedule as I'm still laid up with a blown disc, but hopefully get the last few bits done in the next few weeks.

Cheers, morgan

silverswedemachine
Wednesday 17th June 2015, 18:05

What interior is in that? Sorry to a lot of people but can not do with the biscuit/tan interiors...

Its defo nice and if your SERIOUSLY considering getting rid I might be able to offer it a home...

Ettienne
Wednesday 17th June 2015, 18:07
Im definitely not a fan of the hearing air interior, especially with kids

Jamest5r
Wednesday 17th June 2015, 18:42
What interior is in that? Sorry to a lot of people but can not do with the biscuit/tan interiors...

Its defo nice and if your SERIOUSLY considering getting rid I might be able to offer it a home...

It's got the tan with dark wood, and tbh I'm not selling it right now I drove it to work today and throughly enjoyed it for got how quick it was :), it owes me nothing and 125 quid a year to insure I'd be daft really but then again I might change my mind next week lol.

Saaamon
Wednesday 17th June 2015, 19:09

That looks cracking, top spec and manual. Definitely worth a look, i'd expect to spend abit on any 850, even enthusiast owned.

kmb
Wednesday 17th June 2015, 19:16
Saaamon - Read the posts after that... Not so good in reality it seems :(

Saaamon
Wednesday 17th June 2015, 19:22
Saaamon - Read the posts after that... Not so good in reality it seems :(

Lol miss those comments.

silverswedemachine
Wednesday 17th June 2015, 19:56
It's got the tan with dark wood, and tbh I'm not selling it right now I drove it to work today and throughly enjoyed it for got how quick it was :), it owes me nothing and 125 quid a year to insure I'd be daft really but then again I might change my mind next week lol.

Yeah no problem, nice car though...

Shinsplintz 101
Wednesday 17th June 2015, 20:16
That burgundy t5 is now on the bay being broken for spares. Can't post link - on phone.

AcidicDavey
Wednesday 17th June 2015, 20:34
That burgundy t5 is now on the bay being broken for spares. Can't post link - on phone.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-850-T5-Manual-Estate-Burgundy-Breaking-For-Parts-Only-/331584071809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d33f36881

silverswedemachine
Wednesday 17th June 2015, 20:53
Not surprised at all, he is a breaker by trade, I looked the car all over, it was a mess, and had been messed with. Because he is a breaker, the car is a Frankenstein, it had bits off other cars he had in the yard, the obvious one was the boot floor - the outer pieces were ditched with mud n dirt, middle 2 were different greys, both spotless. The only good thing was it had a new windscreen, engine was quiet but leaking oil...