PDA

View Full Version : I am actually going to torch this car! URGENT!

Bones
Monday 8th June 2015, 21:14
I've had enough,

Of all times for something like this to happen it does it right before a proper important job interview 300 miles away!

After the AC compressor let go on Sunday I managed to source a replacement today to at least get me down the road and back.

Done all the work on it had a right struggle to get the belt on, started it up and engine system service required is on, and it's really slow to respond to the throttle! It idles fine, it does Rev but slowly. Change gear and it's forever before any accelerating happens again!

Pulled fuse 6 and 23, tried again, and engine system service urgent comes up. And no throttle response whatsoever.

Turn it off, back on, engine system service required comes up. And slow throttle response again.

Took ETM off and cleaned it out and still the same.

Only things that were removed or disconected was OTE to intercooler pipe, fan, and AC compressor. Only things that aren't conected now is the AC to pump pipes because they're a different foment and the AC compressor clutch.

Even when there was no belt everything was running fine, just a dash message about charging system.

What have I done?, supposed to be setting off tomorrow lunchtime. To get the belt on it was so tight I had to turn the engine over by the power steering pump to "roll" it on, have I done something to the timing?

This really is dire straights now. Got a feeling this is going to be the end of the suede for me! Gut feeling is telling me it's ETM but it never had any symptoms before and all of a sudden it's started doing this!

Orca2
Monday 8th June 2015, 21:19
It sounds like the replacement ac pump is shagged , when mine died I was getting reduced engine performance message, check the pulley on your aircon pump spins freely, back off the s belt tensioner to allow you to spin it by hand.
Also check you have the s belt on in the correct sequence , if i recall , it is just about possible to get it to go on the wrong way.

Ps it is impossible to affect the timing by working on the s belt , as long as you havent disturbed the timing belt.

stribo
Monday 8th June 2015, 21:19
You won't have affected the timing, ideally you need to get the codes read.

Bones
Monday 8th June 2015, 21:26
I'll double check the routing. But the compressor spins freely and a lot quiter than the last one.

Is a new belt supposed to be a really tight fit on these or should it just fall on.

Not going to be able to get the codes read unfortunately but that's what I'd like to do.

I did think the timing was a long shot, but I'm clutching at straws now :-(

stribo
Monday 8th June 2015, 21:29
Have you plugged the electrical connector back into the compressor, if not try that.

Bones
Monday 8th June 2015, 21:34
No, I assumed it was just for the clutch as it's only a single wire.

I'll finish this bit of pizza then go and try it.

stribo
Monday 8th June 2015, 21:40
The P2s are very funny about their electrics. ;)

Orca2
Monday 8th June 2015, 21:41
Aaaargh no don't do that. The ac can activate itself on some heater settings without you switching it on . If it does this with no gas in the compressor it will seize the new pump in a few minutes of running.
If the belt is routed properly and is new it is still pretty tight to get on.
I just about managed to get mine back on the wrong way before I realised.
If the pulley on the new pump spins freely your aircon pump is not the problem any more. It's either the belt routing or you have bumped something else while changing the belt.
It can't be timing if your timing belt cover has not been removed and the old belt has not been ingested by the timing belt. Which would be pretty obvious .

Orca2
Monday 8th June 2015, 21:43
The P2s are very funny about their electrics. ;)

Amen to that. You said it all in one sentence.

stribo
Monday 8th June 2015, 21:45
As long as the heater isn't set on windscreen, the AC won't operate. Also if the car detects low gas pressure the compressor doesn't kick in.

Orca2
Monday 8th June 2015, 21:48
That was the mistake I made on the m8 one night at ridiculous mph , and it fried my old ac pump clutch, It was actually glowing red hot when I stopped, I was lucky it didn't set the whole car on fire.

volvokid
Monday 8th June 2015, 22:22
Whenever you need your codes read, you know where I am

Bones
Monday 8th June 2015, 22:36
Just been out for a spin.

It's like there's a massive delay in throttle response, it will go up to the redline but doesent roar when it does so. You don't get the dump sound when you come off the throttle.

Give it beans, change gear, and it feels like you've hit a brick wall.

When it's sat idling now it occasionally, not quite hunts but there a definite rythmic feeling through the car.

Checked and double checked everything I touched and can't see anything wrong.

Martyn I was going to give you a text but thought it was a bit late. Are you down in aberdeen tomorrow?

Also thinking about going back to the breakers, the 99 p1 V70 i got the pump off had an ETM with a white sticker instead of the yellow like mine has got. So that will be ME7 also won't it?
Might run down first thing and pull it off and see if that makes a difference

Orca2
Monday 8th June 2015, 22:40
Check you havent disturbed the hose to the intercooler, it is pretty close to the ac pump .

Bones
Monday 8th June 2015, 22:46
I did have it off because I did the pump from the top.

It went back on ok, I've got the IPD silicone boost hoses. Might take it off and get another look at it in the morning. Wasn't all that oily inside the pipes either

Orca2
Monday 8th June 2015, 22:49
I swapped mine out from the top too, jeez I had no skin left on my knuckles , what a footery fiddly pain in the ass that was.

Bones
Monday 8th June 2015, 22:53
I took The fan and OTE pipe off and actually found it really easy. I was expecting a load of swearing but changing the compresser went really smoothly....... Just everything that seemed to go to rat £££££! :-/

Orca2
Monday 8th June 2015, 23:13
Mine is a V70 2002 and it was a pain in the arris, steering pump had to come off as did the alternator, and the pipework to the intercooler, then it was like a bleedin rubiks cube made of razor wire to manoeuvre the pump up and out. Frickin aircon , nobody needs it in Glasgow .
Good luck with yours mate , let us know how you get on.

Ps dont chuck the old compressor without taking it apart first, the mechanism inside it is beautiful , its like the engineering work of a diseased mind lol.

Kingsford G
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 00:06
I take it is a petrol turbo engine.A new belt can be tight to fit,was on my D5 as well.After cleaning the ETM switch the ignition on and let the ETM to self adapt for about 45 sec,You`ll here the motor moving.Engine service required will come up if there is no gas in the aircon and the fan will kick in after a little while.Possibly MAF has given up also check the one way valves operating poperly.On P2`s you won`t have the power back unless u delete the fault codes.Get the faults read and deleted take it for a spin and if you loose the power or still the same get the new fault codes again.Don`t give up,we r here to help.

Bones
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 05:42
I'm going to see if I can do anything this morning. Like I say, I've got to head down to Preston at around lunchtime and if it's not sorted it's going. Never once had a car that is fussy about what gets done then is so secretive about what's wrong with it!

I can live with the warning message just as long as I can get its power back.

Worst bit is there's no engine light on either! :-/

stribo
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 06:39
You can't swap between yellow stickered and white stickered ETMs, you have to swap like for like. TBH it's unusual for the yellow stickered Bosch items to give problems.

Bones
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 07:34
It's a magneti marelli one. Yellow sticker like. And that's what I was thinking that the yellow ones were the good ones but couldn't remember off the top of my head.

Got the car in bits again just now, got all the stuff I had off it yesterday off but can't see anything untoward and nothing is unplugged apart from the AC compressor.

Bones
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 07:39
And the belt is routed this way

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/volvo-s60-2001-volvo-s60--6

Bones
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 08:33
That's it all back together, had the battery disconected for over an hour,

Started it back up engine system service urgent. And no response from the throttle at all!

Switch it off then back on, engine system service required, takes forever for it to do anything but will Rev.

Off to work now to borrow one of the lads codes readers. If that's not flagging anything up I'm giving up on the bloody thing.

Love the car but by god is it complicated!

Kingsford G
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 09:40
MM tb`s know for problems,just get it refurbed or a good used one.

Bones
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 09:52
Do you know what.........I'm actually going to kick myself!

You know them moments when you think

"How Can I be so stupid!"

Now if I promise to tell you all what I did do you promise not to make too much fun of me?

When the air con compressor went squiffy I pulled the fuse for it.....

Got a code reader and was getting accelerator pedal fault codes.....quick google, first post I found was about a 10amp fuse....... The same 10 amp fuse that has something to do with the AC compressor has something to do with accelerator pedal! Fuse 8 to be exact....and fuse 8 will forever haunt me from now on!

New fuse in.......guess what.......

Now I feel like a grade A clown!

Now I've told you all let's treat this like fight club and not talk about it....... Although I'm doubting that's going to happen!

Can I just thank everyone for there input, you's were no help at all but at least I've given yous all something to chuckle about!haha

I'm now off to pick up my crayons and draw pictures of a 10amp fuse!

Soulboy
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 10:12
I'm not making fun of you, mine was recently off the road for 5 days for a 10 amp fuse, can relate to your annoyance completely!

At least it's sorted now, nice one (-;

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 10:13
Bahahahahahaha!!

Sorry.

Glad it's sorted though.

Still an almighty relief when you figure it out, even if it's something you've inadvertently done or missed. :)

Good luck for the interview.

Bones
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 11:29
So glad it's sorted!

Got a clutch position sensor while I was pulling AC pump off aswell. So it will be a steady cruise down the road and back rather than flexing muscles against pretty much everything!lol

Worst bit is I checked every fuse on the car.......but forgot that I'd pulled that one out!lol

Was nearly away to be taking my mums Saab but the dash died on that on Friday! Everything is out aparrently! And hers is a lot newer than mine! :-/

Might tell her it's probably fuse number 8

kmb
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 11:34
It is slightly funny, but the biggest plus is you've solved your problems and learnt a bit more about your car :)

Glad it's sorted!

Bones
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 11:54
Haha, true enough,

BMW's and older mitsubishis I know like the back of my hand, volvos are more of a clever mans fast car!haha

jamesy12345
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 12:30
Well done for posting it :D

Jimmie
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 13:34
You are an idiot for posting up what you have done.
Will you tell your mates in the pub tonight?
You might get a free pint off them in pity!!:)

stribo
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 17:42
We've all been there mate, (well at least I have) so, no shame in it. Well done for finding the problem, and admitting you'd cocked up. :D

Orca2
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 17:56
Shame on you bones... Not for the fuse thing..for confessing.
Glad you sorted it out I think we have all done something similar... Except for me of course.

Bones
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 19:15
I made it! :-)

Aberdeen to Preston in just over 4 and a half hours.! No stops just cruise controlled it pretty much the whole way!

Well I thought it best to confess as you do get people who sort the problem and never post back what the fix was. At least you all now know the faulty bit in my car was the bit that conects the drivers seat to the steering wheel! 😄

Kingsford G
Tuesday 9th June 2015, 21:12
I see nothing funny about what u done mate.When u get stressed out by things not being sorted the smallest things just being ignored.Like Sribo said we`ve all been there.Good news and it always helps reading the fault codes.

Bones
Wednesday 10th June 2015, 00:23
Usually I wouldn't get stressed out over something, but the fact I was desperate to get it sorted because i have this interview in the morning. If I get the job it means I'm back out to saudi again. :-)

Think that all of that combined made me blow a funny fuse..........and I bet that's fuse 8 aswell!haha

Kingsford G
Thursday 11th June 2015, 20:02
Usually I wouldn't get stressed out over something, but the fact I was desperate to get it sorted because i have this interview in the morning. If I get the job it means I'm back out to saudi again. :-)

Think that all of that combined made me blow a funny fuse..........and I bet that's fuse 8 aswell!haha

Saudi?Nice,hot and safe.Hope it works out for u mate.

stutgart69
Thursday 11th June 2015, 20:56
Could have been worse.
Imagine if you had carried out your threat to torch the car, and then remembered afterwards about the fuse...
:wallbash:

Bones
Thursday 11th June 2015, 21:35
Haha, thought it was going to torch itself when the smoke was pouring out from under the bonnet!lol

Aye kingsford, spent 2 years out there about 4-5 years ago, and it's a hell of place to be. Where I am and will be again if I get it was in Taif.....not nice so much....definateley worlds apart from Riyadh and Jeddah but I loved it out there.

If I get it again I won't be coming out untill I'm dragged out kicking and screaming!haha

LeeT5
Friday 12th June 2015, 01:27
You'll still need to get your codes read and erased as there will be loads of self induced fault codes because of all the fuses you've been pulling.

Bones
Sunday 14th June 2015, 22:12
I've cleared them off with the code reader I borrowed from work but I'm going to give Martyn a shout to see when he's free and hook it up with his VIDA and clear anything else that comes back up. I know I'll be getting the air quality sensor but other than that I'm hoping it's just going to be some random codes.