PDA

View Full Version : Who let the smoke out?

Tee5alive
Monday 8th June 2015, 07:39
Just got the train to Wales 2 days ago and picked up my new baby - a 2001 T5 estate to go with mt T5 rag top. I got it cheap as they guy said it needs a new turbo as the oil seals are gone? It only smokes if it idles for a while then clears when I took it on the motorway.
However on arriving home I had a HUGE long streamer of STUFF coming out of the exhaust - some sort of fibre. This immediately made me think HMMM thats silencer wadding and on tapping the rear silencer in sounds like its full of gravel so clearly breaking up, I have also seen horror pics that this happens a lot on cheap silencers and restricts performance. I DID notice her very sluggish compared to my cabrio so I need to replace that.

Whats do you guys think? Is THIS the cause of the smoke (when idling oil mist and/or unburnt petrol building up then smoking) or could it be the turbo oil seals as I cant see and oil around it?

Also can anyone recommend a nice sounding rear silencer thats not going to deafen me on the motorway but lets the 5 pots sound better please - I am NOT fitting another rubbish quinton hazel/ eurocar parts tin can full of loft insulation to my beauty!!

claymore
Monday 8th June 2015, 08:03
Put a straight pipe on there, and it still sounds like the turbo is on the way out.

Tee5alive
Monday 8th June 2015, 12:38
cheers Claymore I have just cut off the rear box and dismembered it then let her run and the smoke was still there so is a turbo rebuild coming up! May upgrade the turbine at the same time.

The rear box was completely in bits internally and the tailpipe stuffed with fibre wool so that wasnt helping power!29115 note the stuff being blow out of the tail pipe!

anyone know of core pack kits for the turbos at all please (turbine, bearings, seals all made up to drop in) ?

Tee5alive
Monday 8th June 2015, 12:44
Found this core pack on flea bay 29116 £125 any good?

MaxTS
Monday 8th June 2015, 12:51
Seems very reasonable. People often forget that you can just replace the core and not the entire thing.

Tee5alive
Monday 8th June 2015, 12:57
thanks Max (how do we 'thank' peeps on here?) for their feedback?

I reckon I'll get that pack for now, give me time to source a bigger turbine kit :) It is a LOT cheaper, Im seeing brand new turbos at £1300!!!

MaxTS
Monday 8th June 2015, 13:20
Just be sure that it is a half decent make and not a really cheap brand that may not last very long.

I would personally repair the seal with a rebuild kit. You can get away with not balancing it after by marking it but I would not recommend it purely because it not worth wrecking the turbo over a tiny mistake.

Tee5alive
Monday 8th June 2015, 15:06
yeah thats my worry , the balance. The core packs apparently are professionally balanced. Dont worry I dont put crap in my cars as you pay for it sitting on the hard shoulder in a cloud of smoke if you do - seen it happen to too many people!

kmb
Monday 8th June 2015, 15:38
thanks Max (how do we 'thank' peeps on here?) for their feedback?

I reckon I'll get that pack for now, give me time to source a bigger turbine kit :) It is a LOT cheaper, Im seeing brand new turbos at £1300!!!

There is a little thanks button in the left corner of the grey bar under their posts :)