PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding replaced tailgate gas struts!!!

Wheelspinwardrobe
Friday 5th June 2015, 17:11
Hi Everyone

Quick question if I may......

Ive just replaced both tailgate struts today..... NEW ones of course.......

The thing is there almost TOO GOOD..... Nearly took my face off!!!!! and extends and clunks when fully open when fully extended. Previous mark on roof (tiny dent) where it looks like boot has in the past gone to far up!!!!

Any ideas...... Im completely confused as to why!!!

Thanks

Phill

PROJECT RED ALERT

Doingitsideways
Friday 5th June 2015, 17:20
Mine's the same.
Nearly knocked myself out when I first tried it!

Interested to know if there's any fix for this.

Wheelspinwardrobe
Friday 5th June 2015, 17:23
Mine's the same.
Nearly knocked myself out when I first tried it!

Interested to know if there's any fix for this.

We need a warning sticker on the boot window LOL (I already have a disability - I dont want another one LOL)

claymore
Friday 5th June 2015, 17:40
Imagine what it's like when half the tailgate has been cut away and lexan instead of glass :D

Doingitsideways
Friday 5th June 2015, 17:53
Imagine what it's like when half the tailgate has been cut away and lexan instead of glass :D

You mean you didn't use one of the struts for your engine damper?

Disappointed in your forward planning there, Colin! ;)

Maybe use one for the other engine :)

Shinsplintz 101
Friday 5th June 2015, 19:00
buy aftermarket cheapies off the bay.....they're ££££e, couldn't open a crisp packet... problem solved & front teeth saved :thewave:

but the o.e. Volvo ones are stupid powerful, mines the same.... I just catch the tailgate as it comes up & control its whiplash before it hits the top & tries to rip itself off its mounting brakets.....there's no happy medium it seems - the old ones mean you get cracked in the back of the noodle as the tailgate drops on you, nice new one means you find yourself checking to make sure the local dentist is on speed dial.

Oh, the joys of Volvo ownership :)

stribo
Friday 5th June 2015, 19:39
How about using one new one, and one old one?

AcidicDavey
Friday 5th June 2015, 21:04
I think mine are Scantech, they are good. First time they took my chin out but you get used to it :)

500tie
Friday 5th June 2015, 21:48
Where did you get yours from Dave I need to do mine at some point

AcidicDavey
Friday 5th June 2015, 22:15
PartsforVolvo (http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=519_537&products_id=3232) Sooty, I bought them in 2010 and they weren't fitted until 2014 lol

They were a real bugger to fit!

500tie
Friday 5th June 2015, 22:23
They're the ones I've been looking at it sounds like a job for "two twits and a bar" don't you think

AcidicDavey
Friday 5th June 2015, 22:30
Quite possibly mate, quite possibly... You do have to actually order them though rather than putting it off/forgetting! lol

500tie
Friday 5th June 2015, 22:40
Haha this is a job for much further down the line mate got paintwork, brakes, cambelt and possible starter motor to do before gas struts

Orca2
Friday 5th June 2015, 22:42
I dont suppose it would be possible to add some weight to the tailgate? It could be gradually reduced as the struts start to become tired.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 5th June 2015, 22:44
Someone did a how to:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?15665-Tailgate-Damper-Replacement-(the-Easy-Way)

Orca2
Friday 5th June 2015, 23:00
How long did your mum have to hold that heavy tailgate up .... You goin staraight to hell boy.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 5th June 2015, 23:32
How long did your mum have to hold that heavy tailgate up .... You goin staraight to hell boy.
It's all a bit of a blur....was a long time ago :D