PDA

View Full Version : Replacement ignition key and fob

Pliskin
Saturday 30th May 2015, 10:12
Hi all,

My spare set of keys for my 2001 C70 are eluding me and hav been for some time, before the inevitable happens I need to get replacements am I talking main stealer only?

Regards to all

Tomcat
Saturday 30th May 2015, 17:05
Not sure if it's main Dealer only or not but I recently asked Rufe about buying a new key for mine, think it works out around £70 for the key cut and delivered. Not sure about the fob but you should be able to just buy another second hand one and then code it to the car.

500tie
Saturday 30th May 2015, 17:32
As far as I'm aware you can't reprogramme a second hand fob, a new one is something ridiculous like £200 from a dealer. what you could do is find someone who is breaking one with 2 fobs and remove the entire system and put that in your car. It sounds a lot of work but it takes longer to get the panel under the dash back on than it does to swap the remote locking module.

Tomcat
Saturday 30th May 2015, 17:50
As far as I'm aware you can't reprogramme a second hand fob, a new one is something ridiculous like £200 from a dealer. what you could do is find someone who is breaking one with 2 fobs and remove the entire system and put that in your car. It sounds a lot of work but it takes longer to get the panel under the dash back on than it does to swap the remote locking module.

You sure?.. I remember being able to reprograme fobs on the 850 (though I cant remember exactly how,lol)

t5 pete
Saturday 30th May 2015, 18:02
You can program obd2 850 fobs but after that it's dealer iirc

Blackdog
Saturday 30th May 2015, 18:22
You can code/program/pair secondhand fobs just do a search for the procedure. The key though is a stealer job....

500tie
Saturday 30th May 2015, 19:49
Thanks for that blackdog, I didn't know for sure if you could do it or not on Ph1 V70's

AcidicDavey
Saturday 30th May 2015, 21:42
On the 70s fobs aren't programmable like on 850s.

On 850s you just turn the ignition on and off 5 times then press the button on the new fob to mate it to the car.

Not possible on the newer cars... There are a few different part numbers for the fobs and you have to get matching ones and take them to your dealer, if you've lost the number of the fobs your car has or the new fobs you buy are not in their original case they are useless to you! (Unless you are lucky and buy the right fob by chance).

You need the correct diagnostic equipment to unlock the security on the fob module and then mate the new remote(s) to the car by pressing the lock/unlock button. Or take to Volvo to do it!

As 500tie says the easiest thing to do is just replace the Alarm Fob Module with one from a car with working fobs, cheap and easy!
The module sits behind the headlight switch and is a 10minute job to replace.

Blackdog
Saturday 30th May 2015, 22:21
I am sure I mated a used fob to my good ladies old 99 V70.

It was a 2.5D so perhaps they are different.

AcidicDavey
Saturday 30th May 2015, 22:23
I've tried on mine years ago and it didn't work :(