PDA

View Full Version : Brake shudder

nobananas
Saturday 26th November 2005, 18:21
Ok, a few months ago I decided a complete overhaul of the brakes were required. After reading so many glowing reports about Brembo front discs I decided to fit a pair up front. The front pads were a budget set (Motaquip) as were the rear discs and pads (also Motoquip). The flexi-pipes were replaced all round with Goodridge stainless as they were on offer and cheaper then a set of rubber ones ! All well for a couple of weeks then started to pick up a shudder on braking even if only braking lightly . It felt as if it was coming more from the back (no steering wheel shake, just a vibration in your backside !) so I replaced the rear discs again and refaced and rotated the pads....no change. I replaced the front pads today...still no change and I am going to replace the rears tommorrow but I doubt if it will make any difference. I'm beginning to suspect the Brembos, anyone had a similar experience with these ! They were bedded in gently and the motor doesn't do a lot of particularly hard braking just everyday 70 miles in rush hour traffic. Sorry to ramble but I am getting really p*ssed of with this car at the moment :bricks:

splatt
Saturday 26th November 2005, 18:56
The only real way to know if it is the discs is to check em with a dial guage to see if there is any distortion.....cheapo pads is not always a good option.
Have you still got your old discs?...process of elimination...time consuming but cheapest way to find out....
dial/runout guage can be bought for as little as 15 £

dannt5
Saturday 26th November 2005, 19:32
Ive had similar probs on my 850R,even had brembo disks & pads all round,still ended up warping.......a common problem.Im in the process of making a brake kit with wilwood 4pot calipers & 320mm disks,i'll let you no how I get on.Your easy & cheapest fix if you brake hard is to use the S/V70 302mm disks with its pad carriers (someone on the site will probly have some)& genuine Volvo police spec pads,developed for hard braking,but under extreme use these will still shudder/warp.Only way to get rid of it is big brakes...BIG££££££££!!! :B_steerin

nobananas
Saturday 26th November 2005, 20:33
Can understand comments on cheap pads but we've been fitting these to all types of motor at work for the last 5 years and never had any complaints. The car isn't driven that hard as it's the missus' ride to work everyday so I wouldn't expect any problems with them from excessive use. Got a dial gauge at work so I might try that but you get an eye for warped discs after a while and these seem true. A bit miffed 'cause I was just going to sling cheapy discs on the front but decided to spend a bit more on the brembos, might have been a mistake ,even more miffed because I painted the top hats in Caliper laquer so you didn't get that rusty disc look through the wheels !