PDA

View Full Version : Engine sqeal

Ardchuig
Saturday 26th November 2005, 16:49
Any ideas of problems that make a sqealing noise from front of engine, happens about 30 seconds after start up, been told by a volvo dealer that it's a vibrating inlet manifold gasket but the sound is like steel on aliminium, thought it was turbo but thankfully not, any ideas?

splatt
Saturday 26th November 2005, 16:57
squeal is probably a slipping belt...alternator/PS pump.
really hard to diagnose without hearing.
BTW :welcome::wave23d:

audimadmike
Saturday 26th November 2005, 16:57
Does it happen all the time after the 30 seconds?
Does it change when you move the steering wheel side to side or if you switch on all the lights? (while parked)

Mike

Ardchuig
Saturday 26th November 2005, 17:04
It's definitely not a belt slipping, nothing like alternator, sounds like turbo gone but is definitely ok, like aliminium fins rubbing against steel from front of engine from around cylinder no. 5??

splatt
Saturday 26th November 2005, 17:11
can you record and post the sound file?

Ardchuig
Saturday 26th November 2005, 17:33
I can do, i'll get onto it tonight, very frustrating!! had the car, a 850 t5R Auto for about a year now, first problem since i bought so can't really complain, miles are getting up a bit, just hit 170k but been going like a dream up til now. Been told it could be oil pump and thats it's a comon fault, thinking of trying the inlet manifold gasket as volvo suggested but i'm very very doubtful it would cause this kind of noise. Also, thursrday is the first time i've used the winter mode in the auto bow so thought it might be something to do with that, maybe something rubbing against flywheel?? Fantastic website by the way, sorry i didn't find it sooner :slap:

siamblue
Sunday 27th November 2005, 00:34
Hi Welcome to the site, hope you sort the problem soon ;)

t5 stealth
Sunday 27th November 2005, 07:57
hi,
it may be the auxillary belt tensioner,
or even the belt worn,
seen it before on other vehicles,
change belt & it disappears,
but as someone said,its hard to diagnose without hearing it,

Ardchuig
Sunday 27th November 2005, 12:57
I thought it could be a tensioner myself but it would be sqealing from start up surely? I'll get a sound file posted today if i can, not the best at that sort of thing but i'll give it a go!! Thanks for the quick replies, I wasn't expecting anywhere near this kind of response! :jaw:

Ardchuig
Sunday 27th November 2005, 20:48
Hi all, been e buay bee today anstarted dismantling my beloved beast, most certainly not the inlet manifold gasket or any belts or tensioners, had a freind of mine take alook and he seems to think it might br the torque converter. Has anyone heard of any problems like this or if it sounds logical seeing as it occurs the same amount of time after start up every time. :sick: Still to get a sound file posted but will get round to it eventually