PDA

View Full Version : Noisy EBC front discs

purple-t5-rocket
Saturday 26th November 2005, 12:55
Hi, I have fitted EBC turbo grooved discs and redstuff pads to the front of my T5, excellent stopping power (when warmed up!) but the are very noisy under light braking (rotational 'clicking') I have double checked the discs are fitted to the correct sides and the pads are fitted right. Is this normal? or should I ditch the discs and fit standard discs?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)

volvotuning
Saturday 26th November 2005, 13:00
Grooved discs will always be noisy - that's just how they are.

EBC pads - you're a brave man in my opinion!!!

Adam.

purple-t5-rocket
Saturday 26th November 2005, 13:03
Hi, thanks. do you not rate the ebc pads then?

I have not had any problems so far except the noise.

volvotuning
Saturday 26th November 2005, 13:08
My personal experience with EBC Redstuff almost cost my friend his life and my car!

For a start, they don't work from cold - which is not very clever. Second, after a few weeks they had glazed. This cause the pads to work ok at low speeds, but braking from motorway speeds was like having no brakes at all - something which was discovered when coming off the motorway slip road approaching the roundabout with NO BRAKES!!!! :jaw:

Maybe you'll be ok with yours.

Adam.

purple-t5-rocket
Saturday 26th November 2005, 13:12
Thats worrying, maybe ill ditch them then.

They are pants from cold true.

Any advice on suitible replacements?

Engineer
Saturday 26th November 2005, 13:14
My personal experience with EBC Redstuff almost cost my friend his life and my car!

For a start, they don't work from cold - which is not very clever. Second, after a few weeks they had glazed. This cause the pads to work ok at low speeds, but braking from motorway speeds was like having no brakes at all - something which was discovered when coming off the motorway slip road approaching the roundabout with NO BRAKES!!!! :jaw:

Maybe you'll be ok with yours.

Adam.100% right, to hard for road unless middle of summer temps/hot climate etc and your on it big time. Go a bit softer and the noise might be lower as well.

volvotuning
Saturday 26th November 2005, 13:15
Ferodo.

You'll still have the noise though cos of the discs.

Only downside to the Ferodo is that the DS2500 can squeal at very low speeds just before you come to a standstill. But both the Performance and the DS2500 pads will work from cold.

Adam.

Engineer
Saturday 26th November 2005, 13:55
Take a look at Mintex as well as heard Mintex 1155 are good from cold, not tried them though and not cheap. But you normally get what you pay for.

gazjacko
Saturday 26th November 2005, 22:15
I've just put the Black Diamond Grooved discs and matching pads on. I'm well impressed with the set up bu don't know if its the pads , the discs(302mm), the new brake lines, the new fluid or a bit of each!
The guy in my local 'German & Swedish' says the Pagid they list are 'Fast road' and they're cheap as chips so may be worth a try.
Some manufacturers make discs with the grooves running 'backwards', some with them 'forwards' so as long as you've followed the instructions your discs are handed and on the right way round.
As for the noise, coming off the slip road at silly speeds and leaving the brakes 'til the last possible moment produces as noise similar to a low flying Spitfire (Supermarine NOT Triumph!!!). I think you just have to live with it.

volvolised
Saturday 26th November 2005, 23:24
Hi, The pagid's are ok, am running them against tarox grooved and drilled 302, but dont they squeal, can handle the rumble, guess that's the downfall of the discs eh !!

After_Shock
Sunday 27th November 2005, 17:59
Pagids do stop really well but eat the discs like nothing else!

Not tried the ferodo ones but heard countless good things about them and not just from Volvo from all corners.

Avoid black diamond anything at all costs, they just dont work! Work well for the corsa and saxo brigade as they dont have much weight to stop, similar to EBC I think.

gazjacko
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 21:02
I must drive like a right cissy then! 'cause I've had no problem with my set up. Just what sort of driving are you all doing then?
I didn't want a 'track day' special just some thing that's quick and safe and thought I'd work on the safe first by sorting out the brakes to a level I'm happy with.
I'm not trying to get at anyone but unless you want to pick up tailgating Saxos etc in the boot (Is that what saw off Spesh's?) don't you think looking for that last nth % may cost you more than you're getting back in terms of pure braking performance.
Gaz 'cissy girly driver' Jacko

Colin 850 T5
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 22:38
When EBC Red was first launched it was sold as a race pad!!

Whats changed now? I know like all of their compounds, they have played about with the mix but it should still be viewed as a race compound and not a very good one at that.

Ferodo DS2500 will be less 'low speed, low pressure' squealy than M1155. M1155 has better bite and both have good cold friction. M1155 has the edge in temperature if you are going on the track.

For a no hassle fit, DS2500 is probably the best option.