PDA

View Full Version : Air Mass Meter

Sparrowhawk
Thursday 14th May 2015, 23:02
I've just had an oil leek repaired at the back of the engine of my 1998 V70R auto and after a long wait and it finally getting put back together, a fault light is now on. It's the orange light with the upside down Y in it. The code is apparently the air mass meter...?

It wasn't there before...

I've had a few T5's in the past and 2 others have had this same air mass meter fault. Why has this suddenly happened after the engine has had a lot of work done?

The blooming ABS light and Tracs are also on...grrrr but they were in before. Front right sensor apparently but that was changed today and it's still on so now it could be the module.

Orca2
Thursday 14th May 2015, 23:08
Sounds a lot like a connection has been bumped or disconnected , there is no reason why your Maf should be affected by the work you have done , other than someone has been leaning over the engine to do your oil leak.

The abs thing might be a cracked ring , they are a pretty common cause of abs tracs Light .

Sparrowhawk
Friday 15th May 2015, 00:39
It's been into another Volvo garage today and they want to order another Air Mass Meter but as you say, why would it have suddenly gone wrong. I might remove it, give it a clean and refit firmly...? I'm not mechanically minded though.

The said they changed the ring and sensor too but the fault remained so it looks like a module. Apparently you can get reconditioned ones...?

Sparrowhawk
Tuesday 2nd June 2015, 16:38
Hi guys, I finally got to the bottom of my problem yesterday. The bolt at the front middle of the engine that fixes the manifold to the block had snapped and sheared on a previous job. The replacement bolt wasn't screwing properly and the manifold gasket was leaking sucking in too much air.

Thankfully finally getting it sorted.