PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with the D5 (or other diesel) fitted the Torque Mount with the Powerflex Bush?

Tyler Durden
Thursday 14th May 2015, 19:07
I've been reading on the Swedespeed forum about the benefits of the Torque Mount Insert provided by Powerflex. However they all seem to own petrol engines. Has anyone with a diesel tried the mod?

Here's the thread.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?187255-Powerflex-torque-mount-insert-BEST-upgrade-so-far

Here's a picture of the insert in place.

Thanks Guys

jamesy12345
Thursday 14th May 2015, 19:15
don;t know about that but like the username

How about an introduce yourself thread with some pics of the D5...:welcome:

Santa
Friday 15th May 2015, 08:06
Come on guys, it only needed one warning, remember the OP is trying to seek information and opinions here.

Mr Tyler Durden (great name btw) is there a reason you are considering moving away from Volvo OE bushes? (Handling / Feel / Because the old ones need replacing and these are yellow?)

Cheers :)

claymore
Friday 15th May 2015, 08:17
As OP is from Shrewsbury, it might be a good idea to come along to our next volvo meet at the Smoke Stop in Ford, that way you can have a chat and maby try out some cars. keep an eye out on the meetings section :), and for what it's worth, I think polybushing your diesel will rattle your teeth out :)

p fandango
Friday 15th May 2015, 09:11
I think polybushing your diesel will rattle your teeth out :)
it did with Bonny, i fitted a Powerflex top mount & that only lasted 2 days before going back to a Volvo rubber bush (& i'm quite tolerant to noise/vibrations)

LeeT5
Friday 15th May 2015, 10:17
Given that the two main lower engine mounts are Vacuum controlled by the cars ECM at a certain a rpm, fitting a 'stiffer' poly bush would, without doubt, have a detrimental effect on the cabin's vibration at engine speed over 1500rpm. At 1500 + rpm, the two lower main Vacuum controlled bushes become 'less' stiff as there is less vibration. The top engine mount is required to remain pliable otherwise you will suffer excess vibration and cabin noise.
So, to conclude, it's ok to fit poly bushes of varying stiffness to a petrol car depending on it's use, but very careful consideration needs to be adhered to on Diesel's to maintain a good equilibrium between comfort/performance. Therefore, replacing the top mount with poly IMH is a very bad idea on a diesel.

Ettienne
Friday 15th May 2015, 12:28
I've changed lower mount and upper big and small and the strut bar and subframe mounts. Mine vibes a bit but around tick over but it's gone at 1000. I quite like it makes the car tingle and feel alive and I get a nice noise from the exhaust at 1,500 rpm then again when booting it.

JamesT5
Friday 15th May 2015, 20:35
As I said (the first time?), the Polybush on a Diesel can cause vibration but the benefits sometimes outweigh the niggles. A softer powerflex bushing is typically recommended on a Diesel.

claymore
Friday 15th May 2015, 20:47
As I said (the first time?), the Polybush on a Diesel can cause vibration but the benefits sometimes outweigh the niggles. A softer powerflex bushing is typically recommended on a Diesel.
Can you please explain the benefits for us :)

JamesT5
Friday 15th May 2015, 21:11
Can you please explain the benefits for us :)

Yes certainly. The power delivery seems smoother, the throttle response seems more 'instant' and the car feels generally more stable around the bends and when accelerating. It made a massive difference to the feel of the T5.

S70T5Chris
Friday 15th May 2015, 21:14
Yes certainly. The power delivery seems smoother, the throttle response seems more 'instant' and the car feels generally more stable around the bends and when accelerating. It made a massive difference to the feel of the T5.

Interesting.

How does fitting poly bushes compare to fitting new standard rubber bushes?

claymore
Friday 15th May 2015, 21:18
We're not talking about petrol engines, we're talking about diesels

stutgart69
Friday 15th May 2015, 21:29
As well as avoiding polybushing that top mount on your D5, I would also avoid buying a cheap replacement mount from Ebay, as mine lasted less than a year. Currently, the car sounds utterly dreadful when pulling away or reversing. Sounds as though the engine is falling out!

MoleT-5R
Friday 15th May 2015, 22:33
He's still at it and I'm thoroughly pi$$ed of that my completely valid point was removed last night, does anyone on here have experience of the torque bushing pictured at the beginning of this thread ????? and fitted it to a diesel Volvo ????, or are we going to listen to someones limited experience of normal polybushes in suspension arms and engine steadies and as Chris has said new rubber bushes would offer massive improvements over worn items, we need back to back proven informative testing, not someone's biased and unsubstantiated best guess

stutgart69
Friday 15th May 2015, 22:50
I haven't tried it myself no, but I did read up on the polybush last year before i bought that cheap rubbish mount off Ebay, and the general opinion was not to use the pollys in the diesels as they give off too much vibration in the cabin.
However, this thread has given me an idea.
I will try taking up the gap in the mount with some tie wraps, and see if it helps with the horrendous vibrations that I am getting ;)

claymore
Saturday 16th May 2015, 09:58
I haven't tried it myself no, but I did read up on the polybush last year before i bought that cheap rubbish mount off Ebay, and the general opinion was not to use the pollys in the diesels as they give off too much vibration in the cabin.
However, this thread has given me an idea.
I will try taking up the gap in the mount with some tie wraps, and see if it helps with the horrendous vibrations that I am getting ;)

Mole's comment wasn't aimed at you at all mate :)

stutgart69
Saturday 16th May 2015, 11:26
Anno bud. It took me a minute or two to work out what he was on about, but I got there in the end :)

Santa
Saturday 16th May 2015, 11:37
He's still at it and I'm thoroughly pi$$ed of that my completely valid point was removed last night, does anyone on here have experience of the torque bushing pictured at the beginning of this thread ????? and fitted it to a diesel Volvo ????, or are we going to listen to someones limited experience of normal polybushes in suspension arms and engine steadies and as Chris has said new rubber bushes would offer massive improvements over worn items, we need back to back proven informative testing, not someone's biased and unsubstantiated best guess
Not entirely agree with you, but opinions/guessing/limited experience should be made clear by the poster when posting so it can be differentiated from posts containing information from more qualified/experienced posts.

I removed a whole bunch of posts, pissed you off, my apologies, did any of the posts that I removed actually help answer the OPs query, no they didn't and it was the Op that was more affected by the thread being taken off topic than those that wanted the chance to possibly get a dig in.

S40kieran
Sunday 17th May 2015, 09:50
You might be able to fit the performance ford ones st/rs and alike ;), I know on the classic x40's you can fit Mitsubishi evo bushes and components, even brakes and FTO brakes will fit.

claymore
Sunday 17th May 2015, 10:21
You might be able to fit the performance ford ones st/rs and alike ;), I know on the classic x40's you can fit Mitsubishi evo bushes and components, even brakes and FTO brakes will fit.
I believe the Ford Transit connect one is a good upgrade.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 17th May 2015, 12:55
Not entirely agree with you, but opinions/guessing/limited experience should be made clear by the poster when posting so it can be differentiated from posts containing information from more qualified/experienced posts.

I removed a whole bunch of posts, pissed you off, my apologies, did any of the posts that I removed actually help answer the OPs query, no they didn't and it was the Op that was more affected by the thread being taken off topic than those that wanted the chance to possibly get a dig in.

Thank you, I was only pointing out the information being given was flawed, as the poster concerned was basing his information on powerflex bushings fitted to his suspension arms and engine steady's and not actually had any experience of the item the OP had enquired about and felt this needed correcting as it could have easily mislead a new member. I rarely post or comment on Jamest5's threads or comments these days, but on this occasion when I believe the info to be misleading I felt the need to highlight the point

Ettienne
Sunday 17th May 2015, 15:06
Tbh if jamest5 is jumped on by all of us at some point and I can't seeing it stopping without banning of the top of my head:

Me
Claymore
Jamest5r
Nealevo
Chriss70t5
Oblark
Mrp
Leet5
External error
Nealevo

Plus many many more, the only way to stop the hassle is too ban us or him (that isn't an ultimatum) but could we vote or such?

From the outside this must look terrible to new members

Santa
Sunday 17th May 2015, 15:25
Thank you, I was only pointing out the information being given was flawed, as the poster concerned was basing his information on powerflex bushings fitted to his suspension arms and engine steady's and not actually had any experience of the item the OP had enquired about and felt this needed correcting as it could have easily mislead a new member. I rarely post or comment on Jamest5's threads or comments these days, but on this occasion when I believe the info to be misleading I felt the need to highlight the point

I know Ade but as the information had been removed the specific warning lost purpose.

Tbh if jamest5 is jumped on by all of us at some point and I can't seeing it stopping without banning of the top of my head:

Me
Claymore
Jamest5r
Nealevo
Chriss70t5
Oblark
Mrp
Leet5
External error
Nealevo

Plus many many more, the only way to stop the hassle is too ban us or him (that isn't an ultimatum) but could we vote or such?

From the outside this must look terrible to new members
Looks like a childish ultimatum tbh

Really not sure whether you are trying to bully management into a decision with that statement but it aint going to fly. People get banned because we deem it not because you had a vote on it!

Any more to be said on bushes?

Ettienne
Sunday 17th May 2015, 15:37
It was more of a suggestion as it must look terrible to outsiders and new member, also it might stymie the decline of the forum in recent years by attracting new members.

Santa
Sunday 17th May 2015, 15:47
It was more of a suggestion as it must look terrible to outsiders and new member, also it might stymie the decline of the forum in recent years by attracting new members.
Outside of people posting pics of animal cruelty and posts of similar nature, how can a single post look worse than what you had just posted? It looks like "We don't like that kid in our class, he should be expelled".

Did you ask those members who you listed, which I know many have their own mind and will if you could mention them?

I won't pretend I like everyone on this forum, for different reasons which probably has greater basis I don't like James but people behave within the rules they can stay, those that don't can go.

Sometimes I go back and question my previous decisions and based on that post you made I think I'm regretting one of those past decisions.

Ettienne
Sunday 17th May 2015, 15:54
Oh well then just carry on as is I'm sure the forum will be inundated with new member requests.

Ettienne
Sunday 17th May 2015, 15:56
Oh actually the op seems to have disappeared how funny.

Santa
Sunday 17th May 2015, 15:57
Oh well then just carry on as is I'm sure the forum will be inundated with new member requests.
Whatever you think the outcome will be, rather that then posts designed to intimidate action like that!

Ettienne
Sunday 17th May 2015, 16:06
Your forum run it the way you want, ill leave it to others to point out his mechanical peccadilloes

Santa
Sunday 17th May 2015, 16:11
Your forum run it the way you want, ill leave it to others to point out his mechanical peccadilloes
If adding your experience to threads to balance debate is upsetting you that badly then its probably for the best

Ettienne
Sunday 17th May 2015, 16:13
If adding your experience to threads to balance debate is upsetting you that badly then its probably for the best

I won't be I shall defer to others excellent advice.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 17th May 2015, 18:29
I know Ade but as the information had been removed the specific warning lost purpose.

Yep it certainly looks like it, when did it go ?? I thought it was still there when I first replied, it now looks like some mad ramblings.........back to normal service then....;)

Santa
Sunday 17th May 2015, 18:32
Yep it certainly looks like it, when did it go ?? I thought it was still there when I first replied, it now looks like some mad ramblings.........back to normal service then....;)

About 8 ish Friday morning I think

MoleT-5R
Sunday 17th May 2015, 18:38

still interested in how poly-bushing can increase throttle response ???

stribo
Sunday 17th May 2015, 19:05
still interested in how poly-bushing can increase throttle response ???

Can't understand how a car can feel more stable with poly bushing the top mount, the engine doesn't flop around that much without it.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 17th May 2015, 19:20
Can't understand how a car can feel more stable with poly bushing the top mount, the engine doesn't flop around that much without it.

My only polybush experience is my purple top engine mount, all it really does is put a bit more vibration through the bulkhead and is possibly going to last longer than the standard item, due to its solid design, if your not into the extra noise stick with the standard mounting bush, though you may find they need changing more often on a more powerful engine than standard. I am shortly going to manufacture my own lower suspension bushes and lower engine stabiliser bushes, these will increase vibrational noise a fair bit, but as they will be fitted to the olive T-5R that won't matter and if they are quiet enough, I will make some more for the Gul......:)

stribo
Sunday 17th May 2015, 19:28
When I bought the C70, the original top bush was shot, I replaced it with a Powerflex purple bush. I found no increase in either vibration, or car stability. I can understand what you're saying about increased vibration Ade, and I'm sure there are cars that suffer more than others (remember a C70 is stiffer to start with), but I can't see any way it could increase stability, unless it's the only bush holding the engine on.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 17th May 2015, 20:56
When I bought the C70, the original top bush was shot, I replaced it with a Powerflex purple bush. I found no increase in either vibration, or car stability. I can understand what you're saying about increased vibration Ade, and I'm sure there are cars that suffer more than others (remember a C70 is stiffer to start with), but I can't see any way it could increase stability, unless it's the only bush holding the engine on.

I get a lot more engine noise when I boot it over what it was like before I fitted the polybush, but in that car it's fine and that add's to the enjoyment of opening the throttle, some folk don't like it and have gone back to a standard rubber bush, so it's down to personal preference at the end of the day. As for stability, Chris did have a completely valid point regarding new standard rubber bushes being a massive improvement over shot ones and how new ones would compare to polybushes, but that all seems to have got lost, but it is still relevant imho

stribo
Monday 18th May 2015, 00:05
I get a lot more engine noise when I boot it over what it was like before I fitted the polybush, but in that car it's fine and that add's to the enjoyment of opening the throttle, some folk don't like it and have gone back to a standard rubber bush, so it's down to personal preference at the end of the day. As for stability, Chris did have a completely valid point regarding new standard rubber bushes being a massive improvement over shot ones and how new ones would compare to polybushes, but that all seems to have got lost, but it is still relevant imho

Yes but the OP asked about the torque mount, not wishbone bushes. ;)

MoleT-5R
Monday 18th May 2015, 00:10
Yes but the OP asked about the torque mount, not wishbone bushes. ;)

yep your quite right there, but in 40 posts (plus the deleted ones) no body here has posted up any info on the particular torque mount, so I'm assuming no one here has ever used one, look like they may cost a bit though

David P
Tuesday 1st December 2020, 20:48
When planning the Stage 1 modifications to my C30 D5, I read the same advice.

The secondary Powerflex bush is a very poor design that circumvents the mount from isolating and is guaranteed to transmit engine vibration.

So I opted for the stronger OE torque mount from the Electric Ford Focus.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32934&stc=1&d=1606851892

However, when I came to swap this in, I discovered that the C30 D5 has a different design mount.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32935&stc=1&d=1606851892