PDA

View Full Version : 1997 s70 t5 abs light on trcs light on and speedo not working

JayH
Monday 4th May 2015, 21:01
Hi all ,

On my s70 t5 the mph dial hasn't been working, the abs light has also been along with the trcs light. I was told its likely to be the abs module so had it sent off to be repaired. Upon fitting it the lights still on the dial still doesn't work. My mechanic then thought it could be the abs speed sensors but after changing them its still not working. He's gone back to thinking the abs module hasn't been repaired properly. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what the fault could be as my mechanics not sure.

cheers

stribo
Monday 4th May 2015, 21:06
Had the same problem with mine, it was the ABS ECU, really easy to change, but you'll need a E3 socket.

Redbrick
Monday 4th May 2015, 21:22
I presume you've paid for all of this?

I'd find a mechanic able to read codes instead of one willing to throw your money at every conceivable potential problem. Sorry if that's harsh but he is wasting your money!

If it shows up right rear fault then it is *nearly always* the ABS controller at fault.

Saying that I have exactly the same problem and even though mine has right rear fault I can't believe all three of my repaired controllers are at fault. I just don't want to tackle the rear ABS sensor replacement which is a complete PITA.

There may be a local member with VOL-FCR that could read your codes or better still buy it on EBay and get a cheap VAGcom lead. Job done.

stribo
Monday 4th May 2015, 21:27
I presume you've paid for all of this?

I'd find a mechanic able to read codes instead of one willing to throw your money at every conceivable potential problem. Sorry if that's harsh but he is wasting your money!

If it shows up right rear fault then it is *nearly always* the ABS controller at fault.

Saying that I have exactly the same problem and even though mine has right rear fault I can't believe all three of my repaired controllers are at fault. I just don't want to tackle the rear ABS sensor replacement which is a complete PITA.

There may be a local member with VOL-FCR that could read your codes or better still buy it on EBay and get a cheap VAGcom lead. Job done.

I.I.R.C. the speedo takes its signal from the n/s/f sensor, so if the speedo's not working it's unlikely to be the rear sensor.

Redbrick
Monday 4th May 2015, 21:35
I.I.R.C. the speedo takes its signal from the n/s/f sensor, so if the speedo's not working it's unlikely to be the rear sensor.

Of course you are correct.

If you drive without the ABS controller attached you also have no speedo. Are you sure he's refitted it properly?

stribo
Monday 4th May 2015, 21:38
Of course you are correct.

If you drive without the ABS controller attached you also have no speedo. Are you sure he's refitted it properly?

That's true also, when my ABS ECU packed up, so did my speedo.

JayH
Monday 4th May 2015, 22:26
He's had it off twice and fitted it back again. I trust him a fair bit and know he wouldn't on purpose be wasting my money. I'll have a word with him and see what he says. He did say to me hopefully tomorrow he was gonna get another chap to come run diagnostics on it and see what they find. I'll tell him about the abs ecu.

cheers guys