PDA

View Full Version : My new Project (and Toy!)......

JamesT5
Monday 4th May 2015, 16:21
So my latest acquisition is this 1998 V70R AWD, 2 previous owners, 155,000 on the clock and a pretty solid car. There's a couple of failures on the MOT but easy fixes and I'm loving the car. It does need some cosmetic TLC and I've got 2 doors to replace the dented ones (thanks to Acidicdavey). Currently running 'stock' but the modifications are about the begin.

Here's some pictures of the car as it is including some literally as I picked it up and handed over the £400 in cash to make it mine. :D

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s562/_JamesT5/WP_20150501_09_49_36_Pro_zpsv5zzq9iu.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/_JamesT5/media/WP_20150501_09_49_36_Pro_zpsv5zzq9iu.jpg.html)

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s562/_JamesT5/WP_20150501_09_49_50_Pro_zpsbx7y9mug.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/_JamesT5/media/WP_20150501_09_49_50_Pro_zpsbx7y9mug.jpg.html)

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s562/_JamesT5/WP_20150501_10_32_50_Pro_zpseshpmrrg.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/_JamesT5/media/WP_20150501_10_32_50_Pro_zpseshpmrrg.jpg.html)

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s562/_JamesT5/WP_20150501_12_41_38_Pro_zpsppqdxkd3.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/_JamesT5/media/WP_20150501_12_41_38_Pro_zpsppqdxkd3.jpg.html)

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s562/_JamesT5/WP_20150501_09_50_13_Pro_zpsr0idajqj.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/_JamesT5/media/WP_20150501_09_50_13_Pro_zpsr0idajqj.jpg.html)

And during the MOT.....

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s562/_JamesT5/WP_20150501_12_52_29_Pro_zpspexzdayx.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/_JamesT5/media/WP_20150501_12_52_29_Pro_zpspexzdayx.jpg.html)

Headlights stripped out, ready for the projector units (note, the original lamps failed the MOT due to the silver reflective coating having come away).....

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s562/_JamesT5/WP_20150504_11_00_13_Pro_zpswy99cfnw.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/_JamesT5/media/WP_20150504_11_00_13_Pro_zpswy99cfnw.jpg.html)

So here we go, the start of something new!

Nealevo
Monday 4th May 2015, 16:57
You brought this because it was cheap! You brought the S60 because it was cheap and going to save you loads of money, but you've spent more than I can count on it. And you have a T5 also because it was too expensive to run. I don't see the logic, but good luck with the build and hope you save the R.

kmb
Monday 4th May 2015, 17:02
Maybe he enjoys the challenge of the renovation - I think I saw this advertised as a breaker on Ebay, although it may have been another.

Good luck with the work.

Ettienne
Monday 4th May 2015, 17:59
Oh dear, worst combination to buy.

Better check the rear fuel lines under inspection cover and hope they aren't corroded.

Had 2 of these previously one manual one auto.

Ettienne
Monday 4th May 2015, 18:00
£400 is cheap enough though, but sometimes is now what you pay for these it's the cost putting all the problems right.

Soulboy
Monday 4th May 2015, 18:04
Looks like a gift to me, surely the rims are worth £300 of the outlay?

Ettienne
Monday 4th May 2015, 18:07
Looks like a gift to me, surely the rims are worth £300 of the outlay?

I think in good sorted condition they are worth more together now, plus it's just a shame as they are getting thin on the ground.

MIKESC70T5
Monday 4th May 2015, 19:07
H
Oh dear, worst combination to buy.

Better check the rear fuel lines under inspection cover and hope they aren't corroded.

Had 2 of these previously one manual one auto.

It would of failed the mot with corroded fuel lines, James didn't mention this, so maybe he's got himself a bargain. £400, he could easily sell the interior and wheels and get his money back if it turns out to a pile of crap engine wise etc.

AcidicDavey
Monday 4th May 2015, 19:39
Having seen the car today when I dropped off a pair of doors it looks like it is well worth saving.

The MOT failures he mentioned are very minor and easily sorted, for £400 he's got a bargain, I paid more than that for a car only fit for dismantling!

Ettienne
Monday 4th May 2015, 19:43
Both of mine were rotten not to the point of leaking on one of them, so it's possible if it's not actually leaking then it could pass an mot as it's not even visible from underneath.

But everyone with these awd is most likely going to have problems eventually and it's a pita to do. They are steel lines and water and mud gets kicked up there helping the rusting. Iirc the pipes are green.

It was my 2000 laser that was rotten the younger of the two.

I'm sure James it technically competent to do the job if it's needed.

MoleT-5R
Monday 4th May 2015, 20:12
Both of mine were rotten not to the point of leaking on one of them, so it's possible if it's not actually leaking then it could pass an mot as it's not even visible from underneath.

But everyone with these awd is most likely going to have problems eventually and it's a pita to do. They are steel lines and water and mud gets kicked up there helping the rusting. Iirc the pipes are green.

It was my 2000 laser that was rotten the younger of the two.

I'm sure James it technically competent to do the job if it's needed.

yep sure are green rotten metal pipes, well they are on my 850 awd and I'm toying with replacing the v70r awd's ones when she's in having the box fitted, just for piece of mind really, not that they look like they need it, but as you say the majority of the pipe run is hidden from site

JamesT5
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 19:07
I actually like the car over my 2001 T5. What I can't believe is how much detail and spec went in to the car for a Phase 1 V70 and I didn't realise it had a 6 CD Autochanger in back until Acidicdavey pointed it out. It seems Volvo were positively pedantic when they designed the R because there's so many little touches like blue dials, sunroof and Aircon, unique Diamond seat pattern, walnut trim and lots of stuff they didn't make standard on the other models in the range.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 19:27
Absolute steal in whatever condition, looks reasonable nick too.

Good luck James! :)

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 21:46
Nice, bargain at that price!

Have fun with it :)

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 22:32
I actually like the car over my 2001 T5. What I can't believe is how much detail and spec went in to the car for a Phase 1 V70 and I didn't realise it had a 6 CD Autochanger in back until Acidicdavey pointed it out. It seems Volvo were positively pedantic when they designed the R because there's so many little touches like blue dials, sunroof and Aircon, unique Diamond seat pattern, walnut trim and lots of stuff they didn't make standard on the other models in the range.

now you see why you got on people nerves, saying other volvo's are inferior to your p2, having had a p2 and 6 p1's I can safely say which are better and I hope your p1 is removing your blinkers

Ettienne
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 22:40
yep sure are green rotten metal pipes, well they are on my 850 awd and I'm toying with replacing the v70r awd's ones when she's in having the box fitted, just for piece of mind really, not that they look like they need it, but as you say the majority of the pipe run is hidden from site

I removed majority of the metal and replaced with fuel hose all the way to the front.

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 22:42
I removed majority of the metal and replaced with fuel hose all the way to the front.

braided stainless was my thought with some nicely swaged fittings to boot.......nice

JamesT5
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 22:52
now you see why you got on people nerves, saying other volvo's are inferior to your p2, having had a p2 and 6 p1's I can safely say which are better and I hope your p1 is removing your blinkers

I think I remember saying that the S60 was inferior to the V70....ok, I won't start that one again. :hidesbehi

What I'm saying is that I'm surprised how much detail Volvo put in to the R spec models, there seems to be a lot of 'little extras' that add up to make them stand out from the rest of the cars in the range, even the T5!

JamesT5
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 22:57
Absolute steal in whatever condition, looks reasonable nick too.

Good luck James! :)

Yes it is, and thanks to Acidicdavey I now have 2 doors to replace the dented ones (more economical than using a Paint Shop). Another helpful member from another forum is selling me a new, unused Volvo Toque Tube Bushing as the one on mine needs replacing.

I'm upgrading the front headlights, custom exhaust being fitted on Monday, uprated induction, new brakes soon as well plus (eventually), a remap. I haven't cleaned it yet as I want to get all the mechanical stuff done first before I go down the Detailing route.

JamesT5
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 22:58
Nice, bargain at that price!

Have fun with it :)

Don't worry, it'll be coming to a 'meet' event at some point; just not quite yet. ;)

JamesT5
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 23:01
Maybe he enjoys the challenge of the renovation - I think I saw this advertised as a breaker on Ebay, although it may have been another.

Good luck with the work.

No, different car as far as I know. I was actually 'invited' to buy this one privately by a lady who works with my Girlfriend and as soon as I saw it I thought "I've gotta have it!".

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 23:16
Don't worry, it'll be coming to a 'meet' event at some point; just not quite yet. ;)
I do like the AWDs, can't wait to get back in mine.

AcidicDavey
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 23:25
What I'm saying is that I'm surprised how much detail Volvo put in to the R spec models, there seems to be a lot of 'little extras' that add up to make them stand out from the rest of the cars in the range, even the T5!

Well I'd hope they were well specced, these R AWD Autos were around £38K new plus any options (like the wood set and CD changer)! That's about double what a basic 2.0 Torslanda was! And, don't forget, a T5 isn't a trim, just an engine so you could get them with a variety of specs.

Basically, Volvo went mad with option packs and trim levels on the P80s!

Biff
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 23:56
All I'll say is good luck.

JamesT5
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 00:05
Well I'd hope they were well specced, these R AWD Autos were around £38K new plus any options (like the wood set and CD changer)! That's about double what a basic 2.0 Torslanda was! And, don't forget, a T5 isn't a trim, just an engine so you could get them with a variety of specs.

Basically, Volvo went mad with option packs and trim levels on the P80s!

So I got a 40 grand car for 1% of its original value. First class bargain! :D :B_thumb:

claymore
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 07:28
So I got a 40 grand car for 1% of its original value. First class bargain! :D :B_thumb:

Time will tell whether it's a bargain or not, most people would weigh up the cost of getting it up to a reasonable standard against what it's worth in parts. All I can see is yet another money pit.

Biff
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 08:16
Time will tell whether it's a bargain or not, most people would weigh up the cost of getting it up to a reasonable standard against what it's worth in parts. All I can see is yet another money pit.

Exactly the reason I broke mine. Either fit second hand parts that weren't the best design when new or buy new.
£1600 for a prop & £1800 for a diff just didnt appeal to me on a car that was worth peanuts.
Every job is difficult on an awd, the awd is heavier & therefore slower.
In hindsight I wouldnt buy anothr awd unless it was to break. lol
As it was I made a tidy profit & got my current ride with a wad in my back pocket. :)
I think we will struggle to get James to see the point in what we are saying & thats why I wished him good luck.
He's talking about modifying it with maps etc but I think he will chase his tail getting it to oe spec.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 10:38
Exactly the reason I broke mine. Either fit second hand parts that weren't the best design when new or buy new.
£1600 for a prop & £1800 for a diff just didnt appeal to me on a car that was worth peanuts.
As it was I made a tidy profit & got my current ride with a wad in my back pocket. :)
I think we will struggle to get James to see the point in what we are saying & thats why I wished him good luck.
He's talking about modifying it with maps etc but I think he will chase his tail getting it to oe spec.

But if you go with that way of thinking, what is the point in buying any car/project that will 'lose' its value?

I know I bought my AWD because I wanted one, it has cost me a fair bit of money replacing parts and is currently off the road waiting for its new engine, but that doesn't bother me. It's my hobby, I like to mess with it.

The same can be said for other projects on here, ok they have different goals but it doesn't matter whether your goal is to make huge amounts of power or whether it is to get to a show condition car it probably isn't worth it either way. As someone once said '....it's the taking part that counts' and if you're willing to put the time and effort in then that must count for something?

And everyone slates the AWDs but after driving the T5 I know which one I'd rather drive.

But then I could be just a crack pot.....

Biff
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 12:14
But if you go with that way of thinking, what is the point in buying any car/project that will 'lose' its value?

I know I bought my AWD because I wanted one, it has cost me a fair bit of money replacing parts and is currently off the road waiting for its new engine, but that doesn't bother me. It's my hobby, I like to mess with it.

The same can be said for other projects on here, ok they have different goals but it doesn't matter whether your goal is to make huge amounts of power or whether it is to get to a show condition car it probably isn't worth it either way. As someone once said '....it's the taking part that counts' and if you're willing to put the time and effort in then that must count for something?

And everyone slates the AWDs but after driving the T5 I know which one I'd rather drive.

I think its different circumstances though Dave, you are obviously pretty competent with the spanners building your engine & the other things I've seen you build (boost guage), plus your awd system works!
In all fairness I'd say my awd was comfier & did handle very well for the extra weight & ride height. It did me proud for over 12 months & 8000 miles but the age of the car was showing with the fuel/brake lines as above. I replaced my rms, clutch & flywheel, down pipe & cat on seperate occasions & to be honest I never want to see another angle gear, bevel or dodgy downpipe ever again!
I think James will struggle like I did to maintain it properly. I will never claim to know it all & my awd taught me a lot about our glorious Volvo's but a £400 auto awd R is never going to cut it really. At least mine had manual box & an 18t.
James is right, the spec on th p80 cars is awesome for the age but I do think he should've gone for a fwd model, he's not mentioned if the awd is working & i'll be very suprised if the prop is even fitted which again is a nightmare to source given the 3 enginering changes that happened in 1998 (being pre me7 I guess its a 98).
I admit The biggest problem with my awd was me, I modified it & failed to replace the bcs/tcv which ultimately resulted in a bent rod. After the amount of hours & money I spent was it really worth it when I ended up with a much better spec, easier to maintain & quicker T5? Even before number 5 decided to lunch itself I estimated the bill to be around £5k to get the car to original spec.
No brainer in my eyes.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 12:45
I think its different circumstances though Dave, you are obviously pretty competent with the spanners building your engine & the other things I've seen you build (boost guage), plus your awd system works!
Only just LOL :D

In all fairness I'd say my awd was comfier & did handle very well for the extra weight & ride height. It did me proud for over 12 months & 8000 miles but the age of the car was showing with the fuel/brake lines as above. I replaced my rms, clutch & flywheel, down pipe & cat on seperate occasions & to be honest I never want to see another angle gear, bevel or dodgy downpipe ever again!
I think James will struggle like I did to maintain it properly. I will never claim to know it all & my awd taught me a lot about our glorious Volvo's but a £400 auto awd R is never going to cut it really. At least mine had manual box & an 18t.
James is right, the spec on th p80 cars is awesome for the age but I do think he should've gone for a fwd model, he's not mentioned if the awd is working & i'll be very suprised if the prop is even fitted which again is a nightmare to source given the 3 enginering changes that happened in 1998 (being pre me7 I guess its a 98).
I admit The biggest problem with my awd was me, I modified it & failed to replace the bcs/tcv which ultimately resulted in a bent rod. After the amount of hours & money I spent was it really worth it when I ended up with a much better spec, easier to maintain & quicker T5? Even before number 5 decided to lunch itself I estimated the bill to be around £5k to get the car to original spec.
No brainer in my eyes.
Yep, that angle gear gets in the way of everything. And I'm the same, I am the problem with the bigger failures on the car.

Yeah we need more info. Come on James, do a video of you doing some donuts in a field....

JamesT5
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 14:47
No brainer in my eyes.

I didn't go out looking for an R intentionally, this one came up on a private sale and wasn't advertised, I was given first refusal on it and actually 'invited' to buy it.

The AWD system works, the Propshaft is fitted and all that needs doing is the Torque Tube bushing needs replacing (Bushing is on it's way in the post).

JamesT5
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 14:49
The guy at the MOT test centre said the car was pretty solid and didn't need a lot at all. His words to me during the test were, "I'm looking for signs of play in the suspension but I just can't find any"... and, "You've got a bargain here!".

Ettienne
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 14:51

Exactly what I was saying, it's what you have yo put in to it not the price it's bought for.

It's taken a year on and off to go through the sonic number plate to number plate and sort stupid issues and get it right again, even though it has a full main dealer history.

JamesT5
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 15:05

Basically you've hit the nail on the head in many ways. I'd rather have something to work on than buy something 'straight' or 'ready made' as it takes the fun out of owning the car but also it makes me go through the whole car and I know what's what, I learn a bit about what I'm driving and it's something to do otherwise I'd get bored.

claymore
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 15:17
but why not just concentrate your money and efforts on the T5?, or is that going to just get left to rot now?

JamesT5
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 15:20
but why not just concentrate your money and efforts on the T5?, or is that going to just get left to rot now?

Because I had the opportunity to buy this car and I did.

claymore
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 15:24
Because I had the opportunity to buy this car and I did.

that doesn't answer the question you quoted at all, I didn't ask why you bought the VR, I asked what you were going to do with the T5?

Sharkey R
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 18:32
I think I remember saying that the S60 was inferior to the V70....ok, I won't start that one again. :hidesbehi

S60 R vs V70 R
List below what makes the S60 inferior then!!!

Nealevo
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 19:01
S60 R vs V70 R
List below what makes the S60 inferior then!!!

It's green

Sharkey R
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 19:02
It's green

Tit!

claymore
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 19:03
It's green

Better than pink or piss yellow :)

S70T5Chris
It's green

LOL! I was gonna write the same thing lmao!

S70T5Chris
Better than pink or piss yellow :)

Ex-pold white. It's the future.

Sharkey R
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 19:04
LOL! I was gonna write the same thing lmao!

Double Tit :saythat:

S70T5Chris
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 19:05
Double Tit :saythat:

The best kind :B_thumb:

S70T5Chris
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 19:08
In all fairness, I could give you a few examples of why a P2R is inferior to a P1 R (in my humble opinion!). But it's all subjective isn't it.

Sharkey R
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 19:16
In all fairness, I could give you a few examples of why a P2R is inferior to a P1 R (in my humble opinion!). But it's all subjective isn't it.

Thats a fair statement, my beef is with his statement that an "S60 IS INFERIOR SPEC TO THE V70"

Jamest5r
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 19:23
Thats a fair statement, my beef is with his statement that an "S60 IS INFERIOR SPEC TO THE V70"

Think he's just refering to the drivers not the car's :)

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 20:06
Think he's just refering to the drivers not the car's :)
PMSL

Anyway, keep this thread on topic you lot.

MIKESC70T5
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 20:13
So James, are you running 3 cars now?

claymore
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 20:28
I'll buy the T5 off you for 1% of what you paid for it James :)

JamesT5
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 20:56
I'll buy the T5 off you for 1% of what you paid for it James :)

Not a chance. :D

JamesT5
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 20:58
Back on topic.... the R has just passed the MOT. :D

Doingitsideways
Wednesday 6th May 2015, 21:49
I thought bent mots went out with the ark

Why can't I thank you more than once?!

JamesT5
Monday 11th May 2015, 20:36
Sports Exhaust fitted today and it sounds awesome.

2.5 inch Cat-back system with the addition of a 200 cell sports Cat.

Mid-tone exhaust note with a single silencer.

Finished with a 3 inch tail pipe to give the back end some presence.

Loving it and the car actually pulls better now! I'm still waiting for my BSR Optiflow kit to arrive and then it'll need a map to get the best out of it.

oblark
Monday 11th May 2015, 20:47
So how's the brake pipes ?

claymore
Monday 11th May 2015, 20:51
What make of exhaust, I hope it's not a crappy longlife one :)

LeeT5
Monday 11th May 2015, 21:01
The guy at the MOT test centre said the car was pretty solid and didn't need a lot at all. His words to me during the test were, "I'm looking for signs of play in the suspension but I just can't find any"... and, "You've got a bargain here!".

To be fair to the MOT tester, I doubt he's even seen a R AWD on the ramps in 6 months! I bet he can't even remember the last time he tested one!

Sports Exhaust fitted today and it sounds awesome.

2.5 inch Cat-back system with the addition of a 200 cell sports Cat.

Mid-tone exhaust note with a single silencer.

Finished with a 3 inch tail pipe to give the back end some presence.

Loving it and the car actually pulls better now! I'm still waiting for my BSR Optiflow kit to arrive and then it'll need a map to get the best out of it.

'Sports Exhaust', why do people say that? It's a 'free flow' exhaust :)

Regards the BSR Optiflow kit, I can tell you now, it's crap! I had that on my laser R AWD with my BSR Exhaust and I hated it. It looks cheap and leaves the engine bay looking ugly and empty. IIR I removed mine and re fitted the stock induction filter housing within two weeks, sold it on eBay.
You'll probably say you like it anyway. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it have been better to spend money on all the essential items like Brakes lines first?? You haven't even done a 'stage 0'!! :smirk:

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 30th September 2015, 14:22
I was looking at the pic's of your project and also had a brief look at your car at Cosford, It has scrubbed up nicely and looks a good example, but the bit that has puzzled me is why has the exhaust tail pipe now swapped to the fwd position on nearside rather than the awd position on the offside which it was manufactured to exit, if it had been me and I was going to the trouble of moving it from one side to the other for what seems to be no particular reason, I would have just made it a twin exit and tidy up the look of the back bumper. Nice looking car though.

p fandango
Wednesday 30th September 2015, 14:57
I was looking at the pic's of your project and also had a brief look at your car at Cosford, It has scrubbed up nicely and looks a good example, but the bit that has puzzled me is why has the exhaust tail pipe now swapped to the fwd position on nearside rather than the awd position on the offside which it was manufactured to exit, if it had been me and I was going to the trouble of moving it from one side to the other for what seems to be no particular reason, I would have just made it a twin exit and tidy up the look of the back bumper. Nice looking car though.
ah, so its you i was talking too as Cosford lol. The exhaust did sound nice as he pulled away

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 30th September 2015, 15:14
ah, so its you i was talking too as Cosford lol. The exhaust did sound nice as he pulled away

lol...thought you'd knew me ages ago, Duane

p fandango
Wednesday 30th September 2015, 16:02
lol...thought you'd knew me ages ago, Duane
i've been to sleep since then, Dory in finding Nemo was based on me lol

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 30th September 2015, 16:05
i've been to sleep since then, Dory in finding Nemo was based on me lol

I'm starting to believe it...lol

AcidicDavey
Wednesday 30th September 2015, 21:35
Single exits are cheaper :)

JamesT5
Thursday 1st October 2015, 00:47

The exhaust exit was swapped to the n/s because the car was originally fitted with two silencers, the tail pipe being fitted to the right hand silencer of course. The exhaust gases originally came in to the n/s silencer, bounced around in there, then travelled through another piece of exhaust pipe along the width if the car behind the bumper, then in to another silencer and then eventually out. The change was made so the exhaust gases had the straightest and most direct route out, given that the original mid section followed a line along the n/s of the car. So I had a 200 cell sports cat fitted, then the pipe follows the shortest route to a single silencer and straight out. The original system was very restrictive and obviously very quiet. The n/s silencer that was on the car when I had it was rotten and bandaged so a new exhaust was actually necessary, that said it actually passed the MOT (amazingly!).

JamesT5
Thursday 1st October 2015, 00:50
Single exits are cheaper :)

Correct, about £250 - £300 cheaper in my case (as quoted by Powerflow), and yes I think that is over priced but that was the deal.