PDA

View Full Version : Service tips for an ameteur please.

foammanmark
Sunday 3rd May 2015, 21:17
With the high mileages on my C70 and V70, I can't see the need to use a garage for servicing just to get 'the stamp'. So, plugs, oil and filter, air filter( I just clean when required), what else do I need to think of on a regular basis? What tool is required for the sump plug removal- socket or allen key(I haven't removed one on a Volvo)?

Saaamon
Monday 4th May 2015, 08:26
I do oil and filter every 3-5k and then replace parts old parts dependent on need, also keep an eye on the longer service parts such as belts. Always checking the car, normally when cleaning it and but can usually tell if something isn't right by driving it. Sump plug is something like a 17mm.

stribo
Monday 4th May 2015, 09:26
As above, oil and filter most regularly, plugs, fuel and air filters every couple of years.

foammanmark
Monday 4th May 2015, 10:06
Cheers for the above. What about coolant change- every 10k or so?

Saaamon
Monday 4th May 2015, 16:45
Think coolant lasts for years, but Id change it if there's no record of one. There's a drain plug on the block aswell I belive, there's videos on YouTube for guidance.

foammanmark
Monday 4th May 2015, 16:50
Think coolant lasts for years, but Id change it if there's no record of one. There's a drain plug on the block aswell I belive, there's videos on YouTube for guidance.

Thanks for the above. Now my Saab and Alfa use the red coolant with increased corrosion resistance I believe? The Volvos have the blue stuff, but I might swap them all to the red stuff to make things simpler for me. There is a lot on the web for maintaining and I'm regularly watching that American guy.................

Nealevo
Monday 4th May 2015, 16:59
All of above, change the brake fluid too if it hasn't been changed, try and use quality parts as cheap ones don't seem to last.

Saaamon
Monday 4th May 2015, 17:20
Good shout about brake fluid, often overlooked.

stribo
Monday 4th May 2015, 19:01
If you're changing from blue to pink anti freeze, make sure you get all the old stuff out first, will probably need a few flushes, as the 2 don't mix well, and form a jelly like substance.

the young mechanic
Monday 4th May 2015, 23:34
when ever the cars in the air take the chance to look at all under side components

jamesy12345
Monday 4th May 2015, 23:47
I made a 'stage zero' list:

*Air, fuel and oil filter service
*Trans fluid flush & change
*4-wheel alignment
*Check & replace spark plugs
*PCV vacuum check/replace
*Dizzy cap, coil & leads
*Inspect & replace vacuum lines and IC piping rubber
*Replace TCV
*Test / replace 02 sensors
*Verify proper fuel flow using a fuel pressure tester and replace fuel pumps if needed
*Clean / replace injectors
*Clean intercooler / intercooler plumbing
*Compression test

All that would be a very good start, I would say only the first 4 lines on the list are done regularly, as mentioned by others. Although they get some stick, the Haynes manuals are pretty good for checklists of maintenance items.

Coolant can be checked visually for colour & with a multimeter...

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Cooling.html

This site says 0.9 volts & above change it.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 00:04
I change my coolant every year - oil every 5K, plugs every 10-12K - though in the last 3 years I have barely made 6K miles.

stribo
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 00:07
I change my coolant every year - oil every 5K, plugs every 10-12K - though in the last 3 years I have barely made 6K miles.

When you say you change your oil and water, do they not change themselves, or at least drain themselves?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 00:13
It is true that there is an element of gravity involved and my fair share of catastrophic mechanical failures.

foammanmark
Tuesday 5th May 2015, 18:35
I made a 'stage zero' list:

*Air, fuel and oil filter service
*Trans fluid flush & change
*4-wheel alignment
*Check & replace spark plugs
*PCV vacuum check/replace
*Dizzy cap, coil & leads
*Inspect & replace vacuum lines and IC piping rubber
*Replace TCV
*Test / replace 02 sensors
*Verify proper fuel flow using a fuel pressure tester and replace fuel pumps if needed
*Clean / replace injectors
*Clean intercooler / intercooler plumbing
*Compression test

All that would be a very good start, I would say only the first 4 lines on the list are done regularly, as mentioned by others. Although they get some stick, the Haynes manuals are pretty good for checklists of maintenance items.

Coolant can be checked visually for colour & with a multimeter...

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Cooling.html

This site says 0.9 volts & above change it.

Thanks Jamesy, but I'd need some help to get through that lot.