PDA

View Full Version : Reluctor ring

silverhorse
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 20:04
Got a cracked OSfront reluctor ring on my V70. I assume Volvo will want to sell me a complete driveshaft, so what can I do?
Can I buy just the ring, if so who do you recommend?
Secondly, is it a ballache of a job?
I need some pointers!!!

Cheers guys

Paul

Bones
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 20:08
eBay volvo abs rings. Less than a fiver each I believe. If your doing one side you might aswell do both. Sod's law in a few weeks the other side will go!lol

silverhorse
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 20:20
might aswell do both. Sod's law in a few weeks the other side will go!lol

Yep, agreed!

Bones
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 20:29
Never changed my abs rings but I put 2 new driveshafts on and the rings were already fitted but both my old ones were cracked.

I reckon it's one of them 10 minute jobs that either go swimmingly or could end up a total nightmare.

Should go something like,

Wheel off,
Calipers and disc
Driveshaft bolt, slide the shaft out the back of the hub (provided it doesent need smashing out of it like one of mine did)
4 bolts for the hub then you can get to the end of the driveshaft through the hole in the steering knuckle.

Clean up the driveshaft, heat up the new ring and slot it on.

Re fitting is a reverse of removal and don't forget to use a new bolt in the end of the driveshaft.

That's just how I'd imagine it went though, someone will pop in and might know a quicker way

Orca2
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 21:12
Best place to get em is J&R driveshafts they are about three quid, top tip , get two of them , if one has gone the other probbly aint far behind, and the postage costs nearly as much as the rings.

I did mine by unbolting the bottom of the strut from the hub, which lets you pivot the hub out far enough to slide the shaft back out of the hub, didnt need to disturb the ball joint or the track rod end.

Bones
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 21:15
^^^^^ what he says, I got my driveshafts from there

That reminds me I've got a brand new never been out of the box o/s drive shaft for a P2 sat in the bedroom cupboard that needs sticking up for sale!lol

Blackdog
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 21:40
Is it not just as simple as fitting a new CV joint?

I thought the rings were on there. They are on a PH 1 as we have/had the same issue.

T5RatherAmusin
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 21:49
yes mate you can get them with the cv joint.
id of done it wheel off, undo ball joint and track end and driveshaft bolt, push cv out.....

Orca2
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 21:49
On a p2 they are an interference fit on the shoulder of the outboard cv joint, corrosion builds up under them and they eventually crack , usually after a bit of spirited driving , they come off easily if cracked and are pretty simple to replace too , I didnt heat mine up , just drifted them on carefully,
Actually a lot simpler than seperating the cv from the shaft.

silverhorse
Saturday 25th April 2015, 18:58
Job done! Was not looking forward to doing it but was a lot easier than expected.
Just waiting for some new driveshaft bolts from the dealer to arrive on Monday and I'm finished.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p727/1silverhorse1/SAM_1837_zpsyhhadyhx.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/1silverhorse1/media/SAM_1837_zpsyhhadyhx.jpg.html)

Orca2
Saturday 25th April 2015, 19:15
I have always re used the driveshaft bolts, I know you ain't supposed to .but Ive never had a problem yet

silverhorse
Sunday 26th April 2015, 06:46
I have always re used the driveshaft bolts, I know you ain't supposed to .but Ive never had a problem yet

It would be just my luck that one would snap as I torqued it up. :scared:

LeeT5
Monday 11th May 2015, 09:08
I have always re used the driveshaft bolts, I know you ain't supposed to .but I've never had a problem yet

It would be just my luck that one would snap as I torqued it up. :scared:

That's precisely the reason why you should always replace with a new bolt!

LeeT5
Monday 11th May 2015, 09:14
Job done! Was not looking forward to doing it but was a lot easier than expected.
Just waiting for some new driveshaft bolts from the dealer to arrive on Monday and I'm finished.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p727/1silverhorse1/SAM_1837_zpsyhhadyhx.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/1silverhorse1/media/SAM_1837_zpsyhhadyhx.jpg.html)

How did you fit the new reluctor rings?