PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler line snapped off

MaxTS
Tuesday 21st April 2015, 21:29
Hi, so I'm currently waiting for a recovery to collect me. The lower of side oil line into the rad has broken off spewing my oil all over the road.

It's getting dark so I can't really see but the actual hose looks intact, seems that it's was the heavily corroded house clip that have way.

Is this a common thing to happen before I go searching when I'm home?

I will be driving a 1.0 mk1 Micra in the meantime

jamesy12345
Tuesday 21st April 2015, 21:40
Sorry to hear that fella, hope engine is OK..?

May be some use:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?55903-Recondition-Volvo-850-Engine-Oil-cooler-lines

MaxTS
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 08:30
Thanks James, yeah she's fine it was switched off immediately when the oil light came on.

After further inspection it seems to have just been the metal clip that had deteriorated. Need to try to source a replacement.

The 1.0l Micra is rather slow at 48HP from my normal 280 odd BHP.

stribo
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 08:41
Get them directly from Volvo mate, had the same thing happen on our V70R, luckily the person driving it (Shem) switched off as soon as the oil light came on, and there's been no lasting damage.

jamesy12345
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 08:42
Sounds like I need to take a look at mine....!

dant5r
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 10:02
If you switched the engine off when the oil warning light came on you could have damaged the crank bearings.

The oil pressure switch only needs 10psi to turn the warning light off and the whiteblock runs at a max of 60 psi.

MaxTS
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 10:12
Thanks for the info but I'm sure it will be fine as I literally drove the car round the corner.

Volvo are having trouble location the actual part I need. Does anyone have a part number for this? Is it just the clip I need or is it the whole pipe?

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 11:27
Thanks for the info but I'm sure it will be fine as I literally drove the car round the corner.

Volvo are having trouble location the actual part I need. Does anyone have a part number for this? Is it just the clip I need or is it the whole pipe?

It should just be the clip, but personally I'd replace both of them if one has failed and replace the o ring seals on the pipes at the same time to save on any leaks in the near future as they'll only be a couple of quid at the worst from volvo. I don't really like these clips and I have had one pop off after an engine out job once, though that may be down to me not getting it fully clipped in, I now cable tie them closed to be on the safe side and I have seen some jubilee clipped closed.

Hope your sorted soon

jamesy12345
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 12:07
The internet says that the part number for the clips is 6842411

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-46156.html

Dealer will confirm :)

960kg
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 12:14

You don`t say what year so this pic is to compliment the pic in the link but includes part numbers...

jamesy12345
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 12:33
You don`t say what year so this pic is to compliment the pic in the link but includes part numbers...

it's a '98 S70R Keith, so the picture you posted is correct

MaxTS
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 13:15
That's the one! They managed to find it in the end.

I will be getting the clips, both O rings and an oil filter for £24.75. They will also be delivering these straight to my work on a cash on collection, had no idea they did this :) great service by the sounds of it.

I really appreciate all the help involved with this though. Let's hope the rad end is not corroded too as I have not had a chance to look at it in day light

AcidicDavey
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 13:21
I really appreciate all the help involved with this though. Let's hope the rad end is not corroded too as I have not had a chance to look at it in day light

I think the rad ends are plastic so no worry there, just clean all the remains of the old clip from the pipe and rad connection and you'll be good to go ;)

jamesy12345
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 13:25
I think the rad ends are plastic so no worry there, just clean all the remains of the old clip from the pipe and rad connection and you'll be good to go ;)

well there's one benefit of crappy plastic radiators...!

Doingitsideways
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 13:42
well there's one benefit of crappy plastic radiators...!

Unless you're running 900bhp, at which point the plasic corrodes.

Apparently ;)

stribo
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 14:01
The rad ends are plastic, but obviously the core is metal, they can part company, as my C70 one did.

jamesy12345
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 14:07
Unless you're running 900bhp, at which point the plasic corrodes.

Apparently ;)

no idea mate I'm 10 behind you at 850 hp (only at the crank like not whp)

t5 pete
Wednesday 22nd April 2015, 15:50
Always put a jubilee clip over the clips alot stronger than tie raps and gives a good hold

MaxTS
Thursday 23rd April 2015, 10:27
The parts arrived today from Snow Volvo. Bit pricey but they dropped them off to my work place free of charge and they are OEM items. I feel it wouldn't be right to go non-OEM for the R.
I like the idea of the clamp over the clip, thanks. I hope the weather holds out for the weekend.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah108/maxts5/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0815_zps5ynmzpcq.jpg (http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/maxts5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0815_zps5ynmzpcq.jpg.html)

MaxTS
Saturday 25th April 2015, 15:48
Managed to fix it this morning if anyone's interested.

Just removed what was left of the old clip and cleaned up with a write brush. Put on the new clip and slid on a worm drive clamp which seemed to hold it pretty solid.

I did not have a drain container to do a proper oil change where the car is so I have put in some fresh oil and will be doing a proper oil change next month. the filter was only a few thousand miles old and genuine Volvo so all's good.
I ran it for about 20 mins, holding revs ect and no leaks. Unfortunately I had to fill up the micra so the test drive will be this evening :/

jamesy12345
Saturday 25th April 2015, 15:52
jubilee clips for me when I get a chance :)

MaxTS
Saturday 25th April 2015, 15:54
Yes it's worth it James it did not seem that secure without. Circlip pliers help getting them on if you have them :)