PDA

View Full Version : S40 Turbocharger vs. Supercharger

volvofan84
Sunday 12th April 2015, 19:06
So lately Ive been fiddling more and more with my S40 and have gained significantly in terms of power and torque, however, the car is NA and i've been toying with the idea of forced induction. Problem is though, if I were to do a turbocharger mod, it would cost more than just buying a jap import with a turbo already fitted. Issue that I have with the import is that its just not reliable (as proven with a VW that I previously owned). So any suggestions on maybe a supercharger?

jeffmasson
Friday 22nd May 2015, 21:08
So lately Ive been fiddling more and more with my S40 and have gained significantly in terms of power and torque, however, the car is NA and i've been toying with the idea of forced induction. Problem is though, if I were to do a turbocharger mod, it would cost more than just buying a jap import with a turbo already fitted. Issue that I have with the import is that its just not reliable (as proven with a VW that I previously owned). So any suggestions on maybe a supercharger?

VW is German not Japanese by the way. and apart from subaru's Japanese cars are far more reliable than any modern volvo!

If you really want more power and want to stay with v40 swap it for a t5 will be loads cheaper.

Good luck

claymore
Friday 22nd May 2015, 21:46
You can fit an eaton m45 in place of the aircon pump :)

claymore
Friday 22nd May 2015, 21:48
VW is German not Japanese by the way. and apart from subaru's Japanese cars are far more reliable than any modern volvo!

If you really want more power and want to stay with v40 swap it for a t5 will be loads cheaper.

Good luck

t5 would be a tight squeeze in a V40, would be better to drop in a T4 lump

mitchyboy01
Saturday 23rd May 2015, 02:08
Buy a T4. Job done.

Santa
Saturday 23rd May 2015, 08:00
Remember the guys in South Africa, the availability of T4's may be non - existent and the higher ambient temperatures lead to even higher intake temperatures when applying forced induction. (The reason why some manufacturers of turbo-charged cars detune for that market).

Supercharger might be a laugh, not sure what the stock ECU will do when it see's positive pressure though so some kind of custom map may be required?

Santa
Saturday 23rd May 2015, 08:01
It might be the pain meds bbbbuuuuttt wouldn't the front bits from an Evo 3 be an easy fit?

jamesy12345
Saturday 23rd May 2015, 11:11
Howzit!

There might not be T4 readily available but what about a low pressure turbos model - might be a good base to start with. Supercharger would be great though!

DOn't know whereabouts you are in SA but some links..

2.0T
http://www.automart.co.za/cars/volvo-s40-s40-2-0t-2002-id-2148372
http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkies/springs/volvo-s40-2-0t-drive-it-because-you-love-it/1001283907170910198021709

T4 breaking
http://www.automart.co.za/cars/volvo-s40-t4-breaking-for-parts-2002-id-2137477

T4 high mileage
http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkies/other/2000-volvo-s40-t4-sedan/1001284056090910262568709

S40kieran
Sunday 24th May 2015, 13:05
The more you mod the x40 the less reliable it is :( even on the t4 models another forum I know a lad called Alex and ever since he's mucked about with his it's always breaking down, you can get those chip tuning boxes on ebay and they are supposed to work. Never tried one myself potential is there to mod but volvo detuned the range for a reason and the reason was to make them super reliable.

I think you can fit the t5 turbo to them ;) you have to weld blank one of the manifold thingys, but I think it's possible :)

volvofan84
Sunday 24th May 2015, 21:04
The more you mod the x40 the less reliable it is :( even on the t4 models another forum I know a lad called Alex and ever since he's mucked about with his it's always breaking down, you can get those chip tuning boxes on ebay and they are supposed to work. Never tried one myself potential is there to mod but volvo detuned the range for a reason and the reason was to make them super reliable.

I think you can fit the t5 turbo to them ;) you have to weld blank one of the manifold thingys, but I think it's possible :)

Any vehicle that gets tuned or modded is less reliable although ive found that higher qwuality parts and workmanship to tend to keep it more reliable...but at a much greater cost.

James, im up in Johanneburg :)

jamesy12345
Sunday 24th May 2015, 21:37
Any vehicle that gets tuned or modded is less reliable although ive found that higher qwuality parts and workmanship to tend to keep it more reliable...but at a much greater cost.

James, im up in Johanneburg :)

..not sure if the links I found are near Joburg sorry but the breaking T4 is listed as Gauteng area. If you do go for an engine swap remember that (some of?) the S40s have a transponder in the key so careful if swapping ECUs etc.

Your location is high altitude so a turbo or charger might be working a little harder but I wouldn't have thought the weather is a great deal hotter on average than UK..?

jeffmasson
Thursday 28th May 2015, 19:56

Sorry I meant swap the whole car not just the engine! Swapping the engine wouldn't be as cheap.

claymore
Thursday 28th May 2015, 20:01
Sorry I meant swap the whole car not just the engine! Swapping the engine wouldn't be as cheap.
But you said "If you really want more power and want to stay with v40 swap it for a t5 will be loads cheaper." there wasn't a T5 version of an early S40.

jeffmasson
Monday 22nd June 2015, 20:25
But you said "If you really want more power and want to stay with v40 swap it for a t5 will be loads cheaper." there wasn't a T5 version of an early S40.

I missed the "a" out

If you really want more power and want to stay with a v40 swap it for a t5 will be loads cheaper

Sorry