PDA

View Full Version : Does my car have a thermostat?

Spooky
Saturday 11th April 2015, 17:14
Maybe a really stupid question.... but for some reason I have it in mind that modernish cars dont have them. I remember my old XR2 when this was part and parcel of the service but having had the old girl for 5 years its just dawned on me that i have never changed it. She does seem to run very hot (like when i get out of the car after a 100 mile run you can feel the heat coming off the engine)....

oh and the deets are in my signature :)

stribo
Saturday 11th April 2015, 17:21
Yes, it does have a thermostat, but it's not a service item, just change it if it packs up. As long as the temperature gauge is reading halfway it's working fine, a 5 pot turbo engine is always going to give off a fair bit off heat once it's been used.

jamesy12345
Saturday 11th April 2015, 17:21
Yes mate it has a thermostat. It lives in the casing/housing at the engine end of the top radiator hose.

You can do a quick check to see whether it is working by leaving the engine to idle for a while. While getting up to temperature the top hose will be relatively cold, but when the engine is up to temperature then the hose will become hot as the thermostat opens.

foammanmark
Saturday 11th April 2015, 19:14
I removed my themostat on my ME7 T5 the other week, and found that I had to loosen the upper timing belt cover to get decent access to the bolts. Don't know if they're all the same?

Spooky
Saturday 11th April 2015, 23:52
Cheers guys. Temp gauge is always in the middle and always has been so that's a good thing to know :)

c70geoff
Sunday 12th April 2015, 02:12
Easy change dude but don't worry unless fracked