PDA

View Full Version : MAF sensor problem?

wilkoT5
Thursday 9th April 2015, 21:20
Hi just got a 1995 T5 850 estate, manual.
Acceleration is a bit flat and I guess first port of call is MAF sensor?
is it best just to get some MAF cleaner and go in thru the airbox, or remove the MAF sensor and clean it?
Or just replace it?

The Bosch ones are £200 ish but there are ones on ebay for 50£. I guess you get what you pay for but are they really worth 4 x the price?
Thanks for any advice, a bit of a moron with engines! But can't afford to take to garage!

martybelfastt5
Friday 10th April 2015, 00:11
usually if the maf goes it will cause rough running.. and will feel a little flat upluged but run ok im sure someone on here would have one for sale but be sure it needs changed get the codes read

Dangerous Dave
Friday 10th April 2015, 01:47
Hi just got a 1995 T5 850 estate, manual.
Acceleration is a bit flat and I guess first port of call is MAF sensor?
is it best just to get some MAF cleaner and go in thru the airbox, or remove the MAF sensor and clean it?
Or just replace it?

The Bosch ones are £200 ish but there are ones on ebay for 50£. I guess you get what you pay for but are they really worth 4 x the price?
Thanks for any advice, a bit of a moron with engines! But can't afford to take to garage!
Best thing to do is make sure that everything is in a good state of repair/working properly before you spend money on parts that may not need replacing.

It could be something really simple that is causing a problem. A Stage 0 tune would help:
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?217-Stage-0-Tune-Up

And I wouldn't buy the cheapo ebay MAFs, I bought one years ago (for some ungodly reason) and it was worse than the original one.

wilkoT5
Friday 10th April 2015, 08:49
Thanks very much, that is useful.