PDA

View Full Version : plugs & gaps

jonboy21t
Thursday 9th April 2015, 11:54
Hi there....looking to fit new plugs to my 2001 V70 T5 as i can find no recent history of them being changed...

Can someone recommend a make & suggest a suitable gap to set the sparkplugs at.....

Thanks in advance...

Jon

jamesy12345
Thursday 9th April 2015, 13:09
I think many guys on here would recommend genuine Volvo plugs, although I've used NGK coppers in most of my cars & they have been fine.

Good site below:

http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/car_commercial_search.php?type=SPARK%2520PLUGS&manufact=VOLVO&model=V70%2520%252800--%253E07%2529&engine=2.3

(although 'gap is preset' is not very helpful)

...and heat range comparison here (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=93002&d=1382792281).

On my cars if I up the boost/power I usually go a grade or two colder and close the gap up a little.

//edit

looking on the net, the gap should be 0.7-0.8 mm standard...can anyone confirm...

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 9th April 2015, 15:42
0.7mm sounds right - NGK BKR7EVX will do nicely.

Gold 'N' Brown
Thursday 9th April 2015, 19:25
I've got a set of Volvo plugs (sealed in original packet) surplus to requirements. Was going to put a for sale post up later. PM me if interested. After £35 posted.

jonboy21t
Friday 10th April 2015, 13:32
Thanks guys, as the car is standard (for now) i'll be sending a PM to Mr Golden Brown.....

merc85
Friday 10th April 2015, 14:30
All plugs for the t5's come pre set, You cannot set the gap you will damage the electrode if you try.

jamesy12345
Friday 10th April 2015, 16:02
All plugs for the t5's come pre set, You cannot set the gap you will damage the electrode if you try.

Is that the volvo plugs...I've never bought them...there's a lot of talk on the net (and I admit it is talk) about reducing the gap as the boost goes up. So, rightly or wrongly, I always drop reduce the gap on the NGK coppers I get if the car is modified.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/tech/racing_spark_plugs_performance_applications.pdf

Required voltage to form a spark at the gap is directly proportional to pressure. A smaller gap
may be required to avoid misfire or flashover.

http://www.boschsparkplugs.net/learning-center/article/194/should-i-gap-my-plugs

However, after raising compression and installing a turbo, a smaller Gap is required to ensure ignitability in the denser air/fuel mixture.

Jamest5r
Friday 10th April 2015, 16:11
I had to have my gap dropped to 22 thou to stop blow out, as soon as boost came on it missed like hell

merc85
Friday 10th April 2015, 16:14
All Volvo t5 plugs are fine tipped and shouldnt be re-gapped, if you need the next gap down choose the correct plug.

Jamest5r
Friday 10th April 2015, 16:18
Should of said mine were ngk BKR8EVX.

jamesy12345
Friday 10th April 2015, 16:31
Should of said mine were ngk BKR8EVX.

can't mix platinum & nitrous!!

jonboy21t
Monday 20th April 2015, 19:32
All Volvo t5 plugs are fine tipped and shouldnt be re-gapped, if you need the next gap down choose the correct plug.

Thanks to Steve for sending the Volvo plugs & for the advise regarding the gaps etc....i will be fitting without going near my feeler guage......:)

Thanks again..

Jon

MoleT-5R
Monday 20th April 2015, 20:44
can't mix platinum & nitrous!!

got it stuck in my head that copper electrode would be better on ours turbo volvo's, not sure where I got that or if it's right even !!

jamesy12345
Monday 20th April 2015, 20:58
got it stuck in my head that copper electrode would be better on ours turbo volvo's, not sure where I got that or if it's right even !!

Me too) maybe comes from the American chaps..http://v70r.com/forums/topic/35071-2000-v70r-b5244t2-spark-plugs/

Just need to reduce the gap & keep an eye on them...& change the coil maybe....I am talking P80 cars though...

MoleT-5R
Monday 20th April 2015, 21:42
Me too) maybe comes from the American chaps..http://v70r.com/forums/topic/35071-2000-v70r-b5244t2-spark-plugs/

Just need to reduce the gap & keep an eye on them...& change the coil maybe....I am talking P80 cars though...

not heard nothing about coils, is there a reason to change them

jamesy12345
Monday 20th April 2015, 22:11
not heard nothing about coils, is there a reason to change them

just another personal thing maybe - maybe misguided (like the copper plugs!?) but I've convinced myself that the coils can become less effective over the years...they do a hard job as part of the HT side so for me it's part of a stage zero, easy job too

MoleT-5R
Monday 20th April 2015, 22:38
just another personal thing maybe - maybe misguided (like the copper plugs!?) but I've convinced myself that the coils can become less effective over the years...they do a hard job as part of the HT side so for me it's part of a stage zero, easy job too

Oh yes I can agree that over the years they will tail off in performance, I thought you were meaning that a different type of coil pack would be better suited to copper cored plugs.

jamesy12345
Monday 20th April 2015, 22:41
Oh yes I can agree that over the years they will tail off in performance, I thought you were meaning that a different type of coil pack would be better suited to copper cored plugs.

No just trying to say to the world: make sure ALL of the HT side is in good nick before telling me I MUST buy 50 quid spark plugs :lol:....I'm of the opinion that copper plugs get a bad press due to incorrect gapping and other components being past their best, rather than coppers being unsuitable.

MoleT-5R
Monday 20th April 2015, 22:49
No just trying to say to the world: make sure ALL of the HT side is in good nick before telling me I MUST buy 50 quid spark plugs :lol:....I'm of the opinion that copper plugs get a bad press due to incorrect gapping and other components being past their best, rather than coppers being unsuitable.

I'm quite happy to run non-volvo plugs, but I do then change them more frequently then, the previous owner to me had major ignition troubles on my olive t-5r and spent a fortune between his local garage in wiltshire and a north london volvo dealership trying to sort the issues and me I've not ever had really ignition troubles until this last years of the 8 that I've owned the car and that I'm sure is really a boost issue, that hopefully will be sorted this week, so I'm ready to go and play with Claymore at the weekend...:)

Bones
Tuesday 21st April 2015, 06:35
I'm definateley going for Volvo plugs when I next service mine.

Can't remember what I'm running just now but they seem to be doing their job.

I'm running IPD HD coil packs aswell

960kg
Tuesday 21st April 2015, 12:23
I'm quite happy to run non-volvo plugs, but I do then change them more frequently then, the previous owner to me had major ignition troubles on my olive t-5r and spent a fortune between his local garage in wiltshire and a north london volvo dealership trying to sort the issues and me I've not ever had really ignition troubles until this last years of the 8 that I've owned the car and that I'm sure is really a boost issue, that hopefully will be sorted this week, so I'm ready to go and play with Claymore at the weekend...:)

As you say you change plugs more frequent then you can get away with Non Volvo ones but these usually give problems after 5000 to 8000 mls of use whereas you won`t get any problems with the Volvo recommended plug for your application.

Copper conducts better and is generally used in higher-performance/modified engines. In dedicated race cars resistor-less copper plugs are used.

Iridium and platinum plugs are chosen for their longevity only and if the pucker Volvo plug is chosen for your model the correct type platinum or iridium will be supplied as different engines use the different plug type.

You shouldn't gap iridiums because of potential damage to the tips. For that reason and their inferior conductivity, they aren't really used in modified engines. They are usually more expensive also.

If you are running more boost you might gap your plugs a little smaller from std. to 0.7mm Copper and Platinum type can be adjusted ok.....cos it`s the outside larger part that is adjustable so no damage ensues.

Ettienne
Tuesday 21st April 2015, 13:36
I have never bought plugs for any of my volvos and not had ignition issues.

I must be lucky, but a few of them have had good main dealer histories.

I'll most likely do the guls and olives plugs at some point.

Saaamon
Tuesday 21st April 2015, 14:21
Its good practice to check plug gaps before fitting.

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 21st April 2015, 19:25
Its good practice to check plug gaps before fitting.

I'll agree with that, but does seem a waste of time a far as iridium plugs go, if your unable to adjust the gap on them.

Orca2
Thursday 30th April 2015, 01:05
I tried NGK iridiums and they were great , but they go off the boil after a few months , changed back to volvo ones after that and they seem to keep the performance up for longer.
Just my opinion of course.

stutgart69
Friday 1st May 2015, 00:16
I tried NGK iridiums and they were great , but they go off the boil after a few months , changed back to volvo ones after that and they seem to keep the performance up for longer.
Just my opinion of course.

I thought these iridiums were meant to last for about 80k miles?
I have them on my bike, came with the bike 7 years ago, and no issues with them as yet.

Orca2
Friday 1st May 2015, 00:21
They were noticably better than my old plugs but they pretty soon ran out of puff, the Volvo ones seem to keep it up longer, they are getting a bit tired now at about 18 k in. The NGK ones were shagged at about 8k .

stutgart69
Friday 1st May 2015, 00:25
Thats a whole 10x less than what they claim!
Are you using aviation fuel or something :D

Orca2
Friday 1st May 2015, 00:42
I use Shell V Power wherever it is available.

When the plugs are new the power builds very quickly and smoothly, it sounds kind of hollow and flat , when they are getting tired it doesnt rev as freely and the power is a bit lumpy, it makes a duller noise.

It is very noticeable, when you drive it a lot.