PDA

View Full Version : Snapped bolt holding head on

Sparrowhawk
Tuesday 7th April 2015, 16:50
I'm having an absolute crisis.

There's a leak at the rear of the engine and to get to it my mechanic has had to remove the head. One of the bolts holding the head on has snapped an inch or two into the engine. Please help guys, I've had a rotten time with my beloved V70R this week! She's in mint condition, how can I fix this?

jamesy12345
Tuesday 7th April 2015, 16:58
Another one! I had this last year (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?51112-S70-cd-1997&p=689972&viewfull=1#post689972), then Tomcat & now yours. Sorry to hear that fella!

Shemtek in Nottingham managed to rescue mine.....depending on where you are based that might not be very helpful. The heat on the exhaust side bakes them in. Drill & stud extractor...?

FIREBOLT
Tuesday 7th April 2015, 17:29
Unless the mechanic you are using is good & equipped for drilling out a snapped stud/bolt? I would use a mobile company like the Thread Doctor to do the job. It requires a certain amount of skill that most b%gger up! If you snap a stud extractor off then you are even more screwed!

Tomcat
Tuesday 7th April 2015, 18:05
Sorry to hear you're having the same problem I had, mine was also exhaust side. I managed to drill mine but then managed to snap the biggest extractor I had in there as well. In the end it was just cheaper to buy another engine (though that's still to be fitted)

Sparrowhawk
Tuesday 7th April 2015, 18:53
Thanks for replying guys. The great news is my man managed to drilliy out dropping a socket into the hole to keep it centred then fixed it with something and out it came. Cheers guys. Breath again! Just the £600 seal to change now...well, it will be after the labour and the head is precautionary skimmed.

jamesy12345
Tuesday 7th April 2015, 19:21
Thanks for replying guys. The great news is my man managed to drilliy out dropping a socket into the hole to keep it centred then fixed it with something and out it came. Cheers guys. Breath again! Just the £600 seal to change now...well, it will be after the labour and the head is precautionary skimmed.

Good news!! That RN block will need to wait...

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 7th April 2015, 21:22
I have this task to do when I attempt to rescue Tomcat's old block as I'm hoping it will become the basis of my new forged lump ... :)

merc85
Tuesday 7th April 2015, 21:30
MY 855r also suffered a snapped Headbolt,

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 7th April 2015, 21:37
I do remember one embarrassing time that I snapped a the small extra bolt by the thermostat housing on a 1275s cooper A series engine right before a stock car race meet, luckily it ran all day with no issues and brought the trophies home, It never got fixed for that season or the next, as it gave no issue it didn't need attention, it was a shame the same couldn't be said about the bodywork......some dirty racers that season :(

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 9th April 2015, 01:20
I rounded off 5 head bolts on my donor project engine before I even started. My fault for not fully understanding how to latch down a free standing engine in the first place.