PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake adjustment

Colin 850 T5
Thursday 24th November 2005, 21:05
'95 850 T5

When I got the car recently the handbrake lever had very little travel, handbrake went on after maybe an inch of pull. Couple of nights ago she seemed sluggish and so I knew something was amiss. Got out of the car at home and the distinctive smell of pads from the rear told me the rears were binding on. Handbrake adjustment being prime candidate for checking.

Had a root around under the arm rest, took off the nice little cover and there is a nice big TORX bolt waiting to be adjusted. At the other end (through the brush where the lever enters) there is a lock/spring washer affair on the bolt. If I slacken the bolt and gain some movement on the lever I will lessen the tendancy for the handbrake to bind on but there appears to be no way of lockinhg off the bolt without adjusting the position of this spring washer (I should know what this is called but it escapes me now).

Is there an easy way of getting hold of this short of removing all of the arm rest. They have put the cover there for a reason but with the bolt done up the lever has no travel and the handbrake will bind on, with the bolt tightened onto the washer the lever doesn't bring on the parking brake until it is at an acute angle. Otherwise the bolt will vibrate back and forth of its own accord.

Someone must have experience in this art. Long nose pliers seem logical but am I missing something here? :dunce:

t5 stealth
Thursday 24th November 2005, 21:41
hi
i think ul find that if you just got the car then someone has wound it up 2 make it feel better to sell it,
the allen key under the h/brake lever is just to take out slack in the cable,
the actual adjusters are inside the brake disk,they are inboard shoes,
with the rear wheels removed you should see a small hole between the wheel bolt holes,it mite have a grommet in it,
turn the disk until the hole is at the top,
use a small torch & shine through the hole,you should see a small toothed cog,with a small screwdriver you should be able to unwind the adjuster,
youll know if you turn it the wrong way as it will apply the brake & the disk wont turn,that is how you adjust or de-adjust the h/brake,
you can loosen the allen key bolt a few turns then adjust brakes then adjust allen key to get correct amount of clicks on h/brake,
if that fails then you mite need to remove the drum/disk to inspect the brake as you may have a h/brake shoe linning fault,ie the linning has come away from the shoe,& will need replacing,hope this makes sence & helps

Colin 850 T5
Thursday 24th November 2005, 21:58
Thanks,

I suppose I was taking the lazy route as the weather is rotten and crawling about not too inviting.

Haven't had a good exploration of the car yet.

t5 stealth
Thursday 24th November 2005, 22:03
i have to agree with you there mate,this is england,,,,,,
we should be used to it by now.
i dont know where you are,if your local to me,
if you wanted help with it etc etc,
hope that info helps,
i also have a haynes manual for 850 if you get stuck,
i can relay any info to you if needed