PDA

View Full Version : auto engine in manual car?

s40t
Monday 6th April 2015, 12:52
So Ive sourced a t5 auto and thinking of doing an engine swap. Will it be a case of just engine out, my manual box on, my clutch and fwheel in source an ecu and loom the plug and play from there? The cars dirt cheap with only 10k more than mine... could sell the rest and get my money back!

Doingitsideways
Monday 6th April 2015, 17:16
Think so, fella.

Think driveshafts are different also, but I can't think of anything else.

So, you're trying to put the engine from an auto in your manual car, right?
Other way around and you'll obviously need pedals, linkage...

Edit :
Just had a thought, is the car ME7?
Not as simple if so.

Ettienne
Monday 6th April 2015, 17:56
Shafts will work fine just a bit thinner on an auto, they are interchangeable.

I used auto shafts on my m66 box fine, I have spare manual shafts just one needed a cv gaitor doing at the time.

s40t
Monday 6th April 2015, 20:42
It would be going into a manual car. 99 c70 on a v reg. I could just take the head off and check but that edfort could be spent on swapping out

Doingitsideways
Monday 6th April 2015, 20:52
Both T5s?

You can't just swap ecus over though on Me7 cars

s40t
Monday 6th April 2015, 23:13
Both T5s?

You can't just swap ecus over though on Me7 cars

Would remap on my ecu accept the t5 once in for obvious running reasons? Id assume this is because of tje immobiliser side? Id hopefully have the whole car so whatever needs swappong can be swappes

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 7th April 2015, 01:52
Yeah, think it's because of immobilizer issues.

If you PM Dream3r, he could put a T5 map on your existing ecu. I toyed with doing similar with a C70 a while ago.

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 7th April 2015, 11:04
So Ive sourced a t5 auto and thinking of doing an engine swap. Will it be a case of just engine out, my manual box on, my clutch and fwheel in source an ecu and loom the plug and play from there? The cars dirt cheap with only 10k more than mine... could sell the rest and get my money back!

If I've read this right and I have been through it twice now as I don't see any major issues here unless there is a capacity change ?? but I'm assuming it's a like for like swap. You've said that you have sourced an auto to use for the swap and are going to put your manual box / clutch assembly onto the new engine, that should all be fine and straight forward ( driveshafts are ok as you've not changed gearboxes just re-used your existing item and it's driveshafts). The ecu should not be an issue as long as you used all your original ancillaries and sensors, the immobiliser shouldn't be issue as you will not have changed ecu's so it will be finding the correct key transponer codes so you should be fine.

If however there is a capacity change ie 2.3-2.4 / 2.4-2.5 or whatever combination you may have then some tweaks to the ecu will be required for fuelling, ignition etc and as mentioned above a pm to Dream3r would be a good idea as I'm sure he'll be easily able to sort out any mapping differences