PDA

View Full Version : Rica stage 2 re-map

Craigtange
Sunday 5th April 2015, 15:47
Has anyone else got a stage 2 rica re-map , I hear a few complaints about them. Would I be better just spending the car and getting an MTE re-map instead.

volvokid
Sunday 5th April 2015, 16:11
I have the mte stage 2 and have no complaints

Ettienne
Sunday 5th April 2015, 19:04
I've had the bsr map and mte2, prefer the mte2

volvokid
Sunday 5th April 2015, 19:15
I've heard the bsr one is more aggressive

don kalmar union
Sunday 5th April 2015, 19:36
BSR have been found to alter the throttle mapping to give a considerably greater movement of the actual throttle against pedal travel.......

Some more brutal opinions of BSR's work are recorded in some detail at www.t5d5.org

Another consideration with BSR product from stage 2 on is that their downpipe, which is well made by Simons and the same as the Jetex branded item, incorporates a rather inefficient cat compared to that used by Ferrita, it is priced accordingly slightly cheaper.

Don.

Ettienne
Sunday 5th April 2015, 20:05
I've got bsr cat back on mine, very happy with that, with gwe downpipe which so far has been ok apart from lambda light came on after I was driving very fast indeed, which I don't usually do but was getting gearbox oil nice and hot for a drain.

I've got a fooler on the rear which is a 90 and need orientating in 180 degrees so not facing in direction of gases, but I'll see how it goes normal driving.

Craigtange
Sunday 5th April 2015, 20:30
So no one uses rica at all, I did see some bad reviews on swedespeed forum but nowhere else.

volvokid
Sunday 5th April 2015, 20:58
Take a drive of mine!

Craigtange
Sunday 5th April 2015, 21:15
Would love too, but yet again they have me working out in the good old U.S.A. You heard much about these shark re-maps also?

volvokid
Sunday 5th April 2015, 21:17
Yeah they are supposed to be good, honestly when your home, give me a phone and take my car for a blast i dont honestly mind. Take advantage of getting to try before you buy :)

Craigtange
Monday 6th April 2015, 06:26
Thank you very much, I will give you a shout when I get back.

Craigtange
Monday 6th April 2015, 06:28
I am still quite surprised no one has ever had a rica re-map or any dealings with them at all.

volvokid
Monday 6th April 2015, 06:47
Good stuff, just let me know.

don kalmar union
Monday 6th April 2015, 08:02
I am still quite surprised no one has ever had a rica re-map or any dealings with them at all.

If you visit www.t5d5.org and do a search you will find a representative number of owners with experience of rica's work going back many years.

Don.

Craigtange
Tuesday 7th April 2015, 03:43
If you visit www.t5d5.org and do a search you will find a representative number of owners with experience of rica's work going back many years.

Don.

What would be your thoughts on this don? I read the threads on the other forum buy no real direction apart from Rica more aggressive in the lower range and MTE being mor progressive.

Kingsford G
Tuesday 7th April 2015, 11:58
Go for MTE 2 mate,nice smooth map an is progressive.

Dream3r
Tuesday 7th April 2015, 18:07
What car is this for? I had RICA on my old S60 T5 and after complaining they sorted the crappy throttle mapping.

I remember reading that they didn't do that anymore somewhere, post by Adam maybe?

To give further balance there are posts of RICA on here complaining about poor customer service (via dealers I think).

BSR isn't something I've had experience with.

Craigtange
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 01:00
What car is this for? I had RICA on my old S60 T5 and after complaining they sorted the crappy throttle mapping.

I remember reading that they didn't do that anymore somewhere, post by Adam maybe?

To give further balance there are posts of RICA on here complaining about poor customer service (via dealers I think).

BSR isn't something I've had experience with.

its for a 2005 v70 r, i suppose i cant really judge how good/bad it is until i fix the boost issue first.

my car has G.W.E downpipe and 200 cell sports cat and 3" turbo intake

IPD cat back exhaust

elevate air management system

Shimmed block,

Dream3r
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 08:35
True. Word to the wise get the stock airbox back on ;)

I've got a 360bhp map for your specs. Stock cbv and stock airbox though.

don kalmar union
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 10:15
You will certainly not get anywhere near 360 bhp with any map with a 200 cel cat.

An original Swedish written set of software calibrations from MTE will give you around 350bhp with a Ferrita Swedish made downpipe with the very best quality 100cel cat, and no other physical modifications, your IPD cat back will be just fine.

Don.

Dream3r
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 12:49
I'll check but it could have been one with a cheap obx system and therefore would be catless. It smokes his own RS4 though :)

I'll have to ask Mark to clarify when I have a chance as he knows the car.

In my own experience with a 200 cell it's possible though. 1050 ish kg/hr maf value with low retard values equates to around 360 bhp as seen on a members car recently.

ExternalError
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 13:22
Mine ran a 342bhp on stock intercooler and stock downpipe with ported head 3" cat back and vxr injectors, I have the dyno printout if you want to see it, haven't had my car dyno'd since fitting the Kl racing intercooler and the GWE downpipe (with a v-banded cat/decat drop in section) but MAF values would suggest 375 bhp calculating in efficiency losses it should be around 360-365bhp. I know MAF values aren't an exact science as you do get losses through efficiency but my 342bhp dyno ran MAF values suggested 355 bhp so it wasn't far off. I'm at the very top end of my turbo now though so cant squeeze much more out of it.

S70T5Chris
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 13:56
Mine ran a 342bhp on stock intercooler and stock downpipe with ported head 3" cat back and vxr injectors, I have the dyno printout if you want to see it, haven't had my car dyno'd since fitting the Kl racing intercooler and the GWE downpipe (with a v-banded cat/decat drop in section) but MAF values would suggest 375 bhp calculating in efficiency losses it should be around 360-365bhp. I know MAF values aren't an exact science as you do get losses through efficiency but my 342bhp dyno ran MAF values suggested 355 bhp so it wasn't far off. I'm at the very top end of my turbo now though so cant squeeze much more out of it.

What dyno was the 342bhp on? That sounds very optimistic considering you were on a stock D/P.

Craigtange
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 14:30
True. Word to the wise get the stock airbox back on ;)

I've got a 360bhp map for your specs. Stock cbv and stock airbox though.

Seriously 😳 I spent a small fortune on that elevate stuff. This gets better and better.

What is the issue with the elevate box as I have had none as of yet.

We're are you based?

ExternalError
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 15:24
What dyno was the 342bhp on? That sounds very optimistic considering you were on a stock D/P.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27031&d=1412460042

MAF values at the time suggested around 355bhp

ExternalError
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 15:30
Seriously �� I spent a small fortune on that elevate stuff. This gets better and better.

We're are you based?

From what i've read there's nothing seriously wrong with it, its just there's no benefit over the standard air box up to 500bhp so apart from looks it doesn't add anything. Unless someone else has anything to add this reason alone is why I didn't bother getting one when 1 came up for sale.

S70T5Chris
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 16:02
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27031&d=1412460042

MAF values at the time suggested around 355bhp

What were your mods at Power Engineering?

ExternalError
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 17:53
At power engineering I had the same setup (3" catback, ported head, s60r manifold, methanol injection, shimmed block) but no remap and made 273bhp, I added some VXR injectors and a map and it then made 342bhp at HLM on the day there were a number of stock cars making stock or just under stock power so I have no reason to believe the run wasn't close to being accurate.

Dream3r
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 19:03
Seriously  I spent a small fortune on that elevate stuff. This gets better and better.

We're are you based?

I've got a few of American friends who have ran it and they crack and are a "pain in the ass", also there is the silly 90 degree air filter.

Basically the reviews I've heard is 'junk', but if it makes you smile then I can't see a massive issue. There is a fuelling correction map that is modelled on the
flow of the stock ram air intake, changing the intake makes this wrong. Since the car's wideband I guess there isn't a huge issue with it. If it was me I'd flatten the airbox correction map and re-do the fuelling though.

I'm an hour south of Edinburgh, East Coast.

Dream3r
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 19:08

If I remember right your VXR injectors are at 85% duty cycle as well.

(I had my greens over 90% duty before swapping to the DEKA's on the K24 last April.)

ExternalError
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 19:27
If I remember right your VXR injectors are at 85% duty cycle as well.

(I had my greens over 90% duty before swapping to the DEKA's on the K24 last April.)

that's correct ill be at shems tomorrow so if its possible can you forward him the new map revision also

Ettienne
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 20:19
I'll need a map for mine soon.

Nothing mental maybe rear lambda delete, unlimited box, and stage 2

Klintercooler (when fitted), shimed, gwe dp, bsr cat back

Dream3r
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 20:25
Lol, no notice! I'll try my best, in a hotel in Glasgow ATM

ExternalError
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 20:28
Ah sorry dont worry if you cant get it i only found out today id definatley got the day off

Dream3r
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 20:40
I've sent Shemtek a map update, tethered via 3G £££££££ lol

ExternalError
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 20:47
Thanks

Craigtange
Thursday 9th April 2015, 00:37
I've got a few of American friends who have ran it and they crack and are a "pain in the ass", also there is the silly 90 degree air filter.

Basically the reviews I've heard is 'junk', but if it makes you smile then I can't see a massive issue. There is a fuelling correction map that is modelled on the
flow of the stock ram air intake, changing the intake makes this wrong. Since the car's wideband I guess there isn't a huge issue with it. If it was me I'd flatten the airbox correction map and re-do the fuelling though.

I'm an hour south of Edinburgh, East Coast.

I mean it does sound nice but something that doesn't really benifit my car and cost a small fortune makes me cry, I do have the bonnet vent I assume this would help with cold air in-take as the box is sealed to the bonnet.

Dream3r
Thursday 9th April 2015, 07:22
I'm not sure of the sound mate but the stock airbox is pretty good at its job. As for the cold air intake you forego the ram air intake for the bonnet vent so I doubt it helps.

You would need a flow bench to test/see.

Craigtange
Thursday 9th April 2015, 13:11
The ELEVATE Air Management System air box consists of a precision-formed high temperature plastic housing that seals to the underside of the hood, eliminating air filter exposure to hot, under hood air. It features a unique, integrated air chamber to smooth air delivery into the intake tract and uses a custom designed ELEVATE Air Filter. The ELEVATE Air Filter element is a long lasting, washable and reusable design with a non-oil design to eliminate the risk of MAF Sensor contamination and failure as will occur with any oiled filter element. The system is designed to support over 580hp and is capable of flowing over 930 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) of air, over three times the air volume required for the 2.5L engine.

i mean this is what there selling lingo is. ah well some more money down the drain.

jamesy12345
Thursday 9th April 2015, 15:01
The ELEVATE Air Management System air box consists of a precision-formed high temperature plastic housing that seals to the underside of the hood, eliminating air filter exposure to hot, under hood air. It features a unique, integrated air chamber to smooth air delivery into the intake tract and uses a custom designed ELEVATE Air Filter. The ELEVATE Air Filter element is a long lasting, washable and reusable design with a non-oil design to eliminate the risk of MAF Sensor contamination and failure as will occur with any oiled filter element. The system is designed to support over 580hp and is capable of flowing over 930 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) of air, over three times the air volume required for the 2.5L engine.

i mean this is what there selling lingo is. ah well some more money down the drain.

930 CFM would be about 3 times the flow rate of a 2.5 engine with a volumetric efficiency of 1, which turbos are not…..

The calc is:

VE * cc * RPM / 56634

= 312 CFM for a 2521 cc engine with VE of 1, at 7000 rpm

Dream3r
Thursday 9th April 2015, 21:57
you'll see about 500 cfm on a tuned R, it's not just the actual flow rate it's the turbulence etc.

jamesy12345
Thursday 9th April 2015, 22:13
you'll see about 500 cfm on a tuned R, it's not just the actual flow rate it's the turbulence etc.

so if that 500 CFM was at 7000 rpm (sorry don't know rev limit), it means the VE would be 1.6...and that the sales blurb of the Elevate stuff is a bit exaggerated but still can flow a sufficient amount..?

Says here (http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/mass_flow_rate) that CFM x 0.076 (lb/ft3) x 10 = approx hp...so 500 CFM equals about 380 hp. At sea level anyway. Every day is a school day.

ExternalError
Thursday 9th April 2015, 22:44
so if that 500 CFM was at 7000 rpm (sorry don't know rev limit), it means the VE would be 1.6...and that the sales blurb of the Elevate stuff is a bit exaggerated but still can flow a sufficient amount..?

Says here (http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/mass_flow_rate) that CFM x 0.076 (lb/ft3) x 10 = approx hp...so 500 CFM equals about 380 hp. At sea level anyway. Every day is a school day.

Yup but you have to factor in each engine isnt as efficient as the calculation suggests so I factor in margin of error into the calculation for my purposes i use a 5% margin of error which hasn't put me far wrong yet

So on a few pulls tonight while me and shem were logging in 3rd gear i was pushing 1035 kg/h of air converting 1035 kg/h to CFM is

0.0765 lb/ft³ = 13.072 ft³/lb
13.072 ft³/lb = 28.81859 ft³/kg
28.81859 / 60 = 0.4803099

1 kg/h = 0.4803099 ft³/m
2.081989116 kg/h = 1 ft³/m

http://www.onlineconversion.com/forum/forum_1060119733.htm

so 1035kg/h / 2.081989116

497.12075 CFM x 0.076

37.781177 x 10
377.81177 x 95%
= 358.92 bhp

jamesy12345
Thursday 9th April 2015, 22:47
Yup but you have to factor in each engine isnt as efficient as the calculation suggests so I factor in margin of error into the calculation for my purposes i use a 5% margin of error which hasn't put me far wrong yet

Yes mate, thank you. Nothing is exact I agree. News to me the calcs above I just put them up for interest as I found them on the net today. I'll try them on the S70 when I get the chance.

//edit 360 hp not bad at all...hoping for 320 on mine

ExternalError
Thursday 9th April 2015, 23:23
Yes mate, thank you. Nothing is exact I agree. News to me the calcs above I just put them up for interest as I found them on the net today. I'll try them on the S70 when I get the chance.

//edit 360 hp not bad at all...hoping for 320 on mine

it wont be 360 for long :)

t5 pete
Thursday 9th April 2015, 23:59
On stripping duty tomorrow got a loud whistle noise coming from back of engine when on boost so gotta find that

Craigtange
Friday 10th April 2015, 01:41
as i am in Scotland (Aberdeen) we don't have anyone up here that does anything with volvo's. all i can do it swap them out to see if i have a noticeable difference or take a drive down south and let someone down there have a play around with it. needing help with this i suppose apart from buying things that i thought i should buy i am pretty clueless when it comes to all the technical stuff. i suppose a rolling road tune would answer most questions

Dream3r
Sunday 12th April 2015, 12:26
I think the best way is to read up on it all, ask questions on the forum or FB and then make your own mind up mate.

Craigtange
Sunday 12th April 2015, 14:27
I think the best way is to read up on it all, ask questions on the forum or FB and then make your own mind up mate.

I wish it was that easy, every time you read something slating something you read something praising it. Can't wait to get home and get stuck into it again. It's been a long 6 weeks away.

jamesy12345
Sunday 12th April 2015, 14:36
I wish it was that easy, every time you read something slating something you read something praising it. Can't wait to get home and get stuck into it again. It's been a long 6 weeks away.

That's what you get for working in daft places :) personally I would go with MTE or TME if you are just after a generic map. Even better would be getting a custom one done to suit your set up.

Santa
Sunday 12th April 2015, 17:27
I have a rica stage 2 map but I never use it. Rica can map the throttle response to suit. (In my experience anyway).

Craigtange
Sunday 12th April 2015, 21:47
Who does custom maps?, preferable close to scotland ��

Dream3r
Sunday 19th April 2015, 09:18
Me, and I can do it remotely if you have a DiCE unit.

ExternalError
Sunday 19th April 2015, 11:09
im running a custom map from dreamer and my car drives amazing and makes some nice figures to

Dream3r
Sunday 19th April 2015, 12:46
Thanks for the review.

Dream3r
Sunday 19th April 2015, 13:11
mispost