PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Height?

Aiken
Thursday 24th November 2005, 19:58
Over the past two weeks or so I feel like the clutch biting point is a lot higher than normal, towards the top of the pedal. I've done some testing and it does not appear to be slipping at all, although it has crunched going into third on two occassions but not sure if that was my fault or not.

Basically, 1st gear seems to be reasonable, if not a little high (maybe 2 inch from the top), 2nd gear is significantly crapper at about half that, if im driving along in third its about 2cms. 4th and 5th I havent tested but it feels the same as third. I'm gonna test later at higher revs and speed to see what results I get. I did try pulling away in second with the handbrake on and it was struggling without slipping.

Do I need a new clutch, is it something that can be adjusted? I've got a 99 C70 T5 2.3.

I've read some posts, and checked some websites with clutch kits I just cannot seem to find one for this car.

spesh
Thursday 24th November 2005, 20:07
Clutches are fluid controlled on the t5's, so cant be adjusted, Kits you can get from volvo for £133!!! Thats right $133, fitted is normally about £300. Should like it is on its way out.

Aiken
Thursday 24th November 2005, 20:15
Cheers spesh....kidding me though right, fitted for £300 from the stealer? Wowsa, my back street garage quoted prob in the region of 500 - 600 but this was guessing the cost of a thurst bearing thing, clutch kit (police spec he says) and labour.

Will be calling volvo tomorrow then and get that checked out!!! :-) It does seem like its on its way out so I want to do it before I lose my gears and get stuck somewhere.

Not to hijack my own thread, but any news on the ETM story about volvo paying to replace it ?

spesh
Thursday 24th November 2005, 20:21
Cheers spesh....kidding me though right, fitted for £300 from the stealer? Wowsa, my back street garage quoted prob in the region of 500 - 600 but this was guessing the cost of a thurst bearing thing, clutch kit (police spec he says) and labour.

Will be calling volvo tomorrow then and get that checked out!!! :-) It does seem like its on its way out so I want to do it before I lose my gears and get stuck somewhere.

Not to hijack my own thread, but any news on the ETM story about volvo paying to replace it ?

No not fitted for £300 with a stealer, that was with a Volvo specalist place I use, but do belive it is the goin rate for a clutch change with most.

Al115
Thursday 24th November 2005, 20:22

No! At least, not in this country, yet. :)

Aiken
Thursday 24th November 2005, 20:27
No not fitted for £300 with a stealer, that was with a Volvo specalist place I use, but do belive it is the goin rate for a clutch change with most.

Ah okay, will investigate more, my back street garage guy dont kow much about Volvo's, he got qa quote from his supplier and they said £250 for the clutch kit apparantely one that a local force uses in their T5s. I will try with Volvo to see what the price is on a clutch kit for the C70, then maybe just get my local guy to fit it.

No! At least, not in this country, yet.

Guess I'll wait a little more before doing that then :)

JUDGENINJA
Friday 25th November 2005, 02:54
Cheapest place for clutches at the moment is www.partsforvolvos.com ( I think I can put them up as a recommended site ). Mine is about £140 for a standard one (not sure about delivery yet though)..

Other places I've tried :
Eurocarparts - £150 - £200
Buypartsby - £150 - £250

BlackBeast
Friday 25th November 2005, 04:11
Why not try to bleed the system first before shelling out £££ on a clutch change and have a look at the condition of the slave cylinder as well as the clutch pedal bush and spring!?!

Aiken
Friday 25th November 2005, 12:27
Why not try to bleed the system first before shelling out £££ on a clutch change and have a look at the condition of the slave cylinder as well as the clutch pedal bush and spring!?!

See, that's what I thought, but people ive spoken to are sure its the clutch worn out.

Since its not slipping, I though it might just be missing some fluid for some reason or another.

Problem is, to check the slave cylinder and everything requires the clutch to come out right? Which means, since its out might as well replace as its the time to get it out and in which costs the most.

JUDGE, I checked out partsforvolvo but they didnt have one specifically labelled for a C70, so was not sure which one it would be, they did seem to be the cheapest though for the kits.

I'm gonna go back down the garage and ask some more questions about checking things before assuming it needs replacing.

Cheers Folk

JUDGENINJA
Friday 25th November 2005, 23:19
JUDGE, I checked out partsforvolvo but they didnt have one specifically labelled for a C70, so was not sure which one it would be, they did seem to be the cheapest though for the kits.

Send them an e-mail with you Make/model/VIN plate number - they'll cross reference it for you to make sure that you get the right one.. Euro car parts were a bit limited on their information...
I'll be ordering it on Monday...(just in case Simon or Clive is reading this)....