PDA

View Full Version : wobbly gearstick

pete-s40
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 11:17
My gearstick has developed a wobble, the action is abit like wobbling a dildo around in a fat lass – you know you are doing something with it, but you aren’t sure what....

I crawled under the car as you do to have a look but didnt notice anything. . there must be a bush under there somewhere thats fallen out or failed..

S40kieran
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 11:29
What gearbox have you got Pete where is reverse top or bottom if it's top you have the Renault box the bushes wear easy fix mate ;)

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=80434 here you go ;)

Matt86
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 15:14
Is it the whole stick that's wobbling or just the gear knob itself?

pete-s40
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 16:34
What gearbox have you got Pete where is reverse top or bottom if it's top you have the Renault box the bushes wear easy fix mate ;)

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=80434 here you go ;)

Reverse is at the bottom, turns out iv got a proper gearbox and not a renault one.. phew i shudder at the thought of having a french chocolate box. Anyway, nipped down to the stealers this aft and they are sorting out the bits i need for tues.

S40kieran
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 16:36
Yep you got the volvo box which is good by and large they are a bit notchy sometimes, maybe someone else can help you lol I've never come across a bad volvo box

pete-s40
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 16:38
Which reminds me the last french car i had was a renault 5 and 3rd gear went to the pub and never came back!

Good little car otherwise :)

S40kieran
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 16:40
The Renault box is smooth when the bushes haven't worn lol give me the tough notchy volvo box any day :), maybe matt can help he had gearbox issues so should know. ;)?

Matt86
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 16:51
My gearbox problems was a rock making a hole in the casing and the box decided it would rather empty the oil out that hole then keep hold of it!

But I've not seen the whole gearstick wobble. Only ever the gearknob. So suspect it's either a part within the knob or the joint at the bottom of the shaft. Either way, should a simple enough fix.

MVR
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 20:39
Reverse is at the bottom, turns out iv got a proper gearbox and not a renault one.. phew i shudder at the thought of having a french chocolate box. Anyway, nipped down to the stealers this aft and they are sorting out the bits i need for tues.

What you trying to say about French gearboxes??? Lol

The fact that 5th is a weak spot?
If the crap rubber driveshaft seal fails it empties the box of its oil?!
The crap nylon linkages they use what wear and creates that much play its a lucky guess which gear your selecting?
Or the fact after its dumped its load out of the seal, it either kills the box or you get a very nice high pitch noise in 5th gear from running dry!!?

Just like mine lol

pete-s40
Friday 3rd April 2015, 12:32
Haha mvr not just gearboxes but french cars in general.. built out of mechano and stuck together with pritt stick lol!
Havent had any luck with anything french yet.. old ££££roen used to chew through driveshafts with all its 60bhp to the wheels. Went through 3 in a month at one point, rear axles sagging, top mounts banging, droplinks snapping i replaced every bit at least twice.

in a jeremy clarkson voice, Noowww its a volvooo :wink:

Haizum74
Sunday 12th April 2015, 22:58
Gear link bushes, easy fix. How to on here for youy http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=43008