PDA

View Full Version : Ipod

david7
Thursday 24th November 2005, 15:23
Anyone tried using a Dension or similar IPOD docking system with the 850 "premier" sound system? I believe it plugs into the CD stacker plug.

Failing this, does anyone know which brand Volvo OEM'd for thier stereo's of this era? I suspect Clarion, but I supose it could be anything.

ta

S60D5
Thursday 24th November 2005, 15:47
Alpine, mainly.

If you want to hook up an Ipod cheaply, try using the iTrip, which broadcasts on an FM band and you just pick it up via the head unit reciever function. It's around £25-£30 but is unofficial, try eBay.

The range is short enough for you not to interfere with the FM frequencies in other vehicles, but good enough to put the ipod in the car anywhere.

david7
Thursday 24th November 2005, 16:24
Thanks for that

I have an iTrip, but wanted the direct connection...

I might experement with the Alpine unit then...d'y'know if its i-Link? or pre i-Link?

Ta

Andrew
Thursday 24th November 2005, 16:35
There is the i-link which works with some volvo stereos. There is also the i-linkFM which is like the i-trip but fully wires in for power, aeriel connections etc to make it much better quality and reliability. This is currently what I'm looking at installed by the car phone warehouse.

Ac.

david7
Thursday 24th November 2005, 16:43
Thanks for that

I have an iTrip, but wanted the direct connection...

I might experement with the Alpine unit then...d'y'know if its i-Link? or pre i-Link?

Ta

Kent Canary
Thursday 24th November 2005, 18:09
There is the i-link which works with some volvo stereos. There is also the i-linkFM which is like the i-trip but fully wires in for power, aeriel connections etc to make it much better quality and reliability. This is currently what I'm looking at installed by the car phone warehouse.

Ac.

Its up to you but I can install it if you want, for far less than CW can do it for. In fact you could probably do it yourself.

The only problem i found when i installed my Denison kit was it doesnt come with a right angled bracket, so I had to source one myself.

Kent Canary
Thursday 24th November 2005, 18:11
I have the Denison system on my Sony head unit. I think on another thread Alpine have answered the the AI-net cable / adaptor is compliant, and as far as I am aware it uses the same technology (so you could get the Alpine Denison interface).

Have a search on ipod on here there must be loads of threads I think Ive stuck my oar in most of them! Theres a list of direct compliant units too.

Kent Canary
Thursday 24th November 2005, 18:13

Ac.

If your head unit is listed I would go for the iLink plus, which is uses the CD changer port.

The iLink FM still uses FM modulation to input the signal but is obviously hard wired.

david7
Thursday 24th November 2005, 18:19
ah..thanks for the feedback...although I think my dodgy recollection of technology and double posting of the same message has confused things.

When I said i-link, I meant AI-net...its been a while...

Trying to get IPOD into Stock Volvo stereo...is that the I-link thing you were referring to? If so, can i go carphone warehouse then?

I suspect though it won't give me the IPOD display on the head unit that the full Dension kit does, so I might be taking your advice and splashing out for an Alpine head unit...gives me some room for the Oil pressure and Turbo pressure gauges!!

You sound like you know a bit about Car stereos, so tell me have they successfully made something sound better than a 7939 yet? (yes it has been a while)

Ta

Andrew
Thursday 24th November 2005, 18:29
If your head unit is listed I would go for the iLink plus, which is uses the CD changer port.

The iLink FM still uses FM modulation to input the signal but is obviously hard wired.

Yup currently not support (901)...

Ac.

fraz13
Thursday 24th November 2005, 19:40
Get yourself a nice Alpine headunit and a KCA-420i Alpine-iPod adaptor and you wont regret it

You need a iPod ready radio or you wont be able to access your files

A wee pic of mine....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM1748a.jpg

JamesB
Thursday 24th November 2005, 23:27
I spoke to Dension customer support about getting an ice>Link + for the SC-801 head unit in my 960. They told me that, although listed on their website, the unit isn't actually shipping yet - should be available sometime around Q1 of 2006.

So after reading a few posts on Swedespeed I took a chance on these guys:

http://www.usaspec.com/

Even including taxes, shipping etc it works out only a little more expensive than getting a CD changer (which my car doesn't have) - and I already have the iPod.

If Parcel Force get their act together the kit should be arriving tomorrow - it's been sitting in their West London depot for the best part of two weeks. If it does arrive I'll try to fit it over the weekend; I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

James

david7
Friday 25th November 2005, 11:10
Thanks James

Very interested to find out...

I would prefer to use the standard head unit for now, but if not, I'll go for the over the top LCD screen based combo!!! Is that a DVD drive I see in the glovebox???

david7
Friday 25th November 2005, 11:29
Frankly Fraz I'm dissapointed...given your avatar, I would have expected your sample shot would at least be playing something patriotic...

the 79th's farewell, Scootland the Brave, or possibly the proclaimers, but the Corrs? looks like your True celtic roots are showing thorugh...! :B_blite:

fraz13
Friday 25th November 2005, 11:41
Its the Coral ffs lol look at this pic, read the name lol the corrs pah!!!! hahahahahah

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM1749a.jpg

A have got Runrig on there, does that help lol

david7
Friday 25th November 2005, 11:44
Never 'erd of them...send me a link...looks like my eyes arn't as good as they were!

www.runrig.com then???

You a piper then?

fraz13
Friday 25th November 2005, 11:49
A piper lol Your mad lol

david7
Friday 25th November 2005, 11:54
Ah well, we can't all be perfect...I have a set that were played at Culloden if that means anything to ya??

fraz13
Friday 25th November 2005, 12:02
lol na man a love bein Scottish coz we got a gorgeous country but as for gettin involved in history al leave that up to the story tellers lol as the guy in Trainspotting said "It's sh*te being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the £££££££g Earth. The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some people hate the English. I don't. They're just w*nkers. We, on the other hand, are colonised by w*nkers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonised by. We're ruled by effete ££££££££s. It's a sh*te state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any £££££££g difference." Soooo true lol

Kent Canary
Friday 25th November 2005, 17:42
ah..thanks for the feedback...although I think my dodgy recollection of technology and double posting of the same message has confused things.

When I said i-link, I meant AI-net...its been a while...

Trying to get IPOD into Stock Volvo stereo...is that the I-link thing you were referring to? If so, can i go carphone warehouse then?

I suspect though it won't give me the IPOD display on the head unit that the full Dension kit does, so I might be taking your advice and splashing out for an Alpine head unit...gives me some room for the Oil pressure and Turbo pressure gauges!!

You sound like you know a bit about Car stereos, so tell me have they successfully made something sound better than a 7939 yet? (yes it has been a while)

Ta

No probs! I obviously dont know that much, whats a 7939?!

Cheers,

KC

Kent Canary
Friday 25th November 2005, 17:43
Fraz, you dont have to have an iPod ready head unit as such, only if you want the display track and playlist access though the head unti. My Sony head unit used the CD changer port so the track forward and back, skip FF and RW work, I just have to use the pod itself to select individual tracks or playlists, whch is no hassle.

Most of the time its on shuffle! What bracket are you using for your iPod?

fraz13
Friday 25th November 2005, 19:22
Yeah your right but a wanted to access all features with my headunit but av always used Alpine anyway and my screen is usefull with all the on screen details

The bracket it an old Nokia phone cradle bracket with in/out and up/down movements, a got a piece of stainless sheet polished up, cut to size and mounted on the bracket

david7
Friday 25th November 2005, 23:32
The Alpine CDA-7939 was , and I believe still is, the best sounding head unit ever made! It was the firstto have dual Burr Brown 20 Bit DAC's and sounded so smooth.

The 7949 and 7959 never quite matched up to it. The only thing I have ever found close is the Beckers they put in the mid eighties Mercs, Porcshes and BMW 635's.

I used to run a car aduio shop back in NZ many years ago.

Kent Canary
Saturday 26th November 2005, 08:35
Cool, in into my NZ music (Finn Bros, The Mutton Birds, Marshmallow, that sort of thing). Ive yet to hear a proper Alpine system. I used to work somewhere where they used Nakamichi's in the cars..!

fraz13
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 12:48
Pics of the iPod holder a made.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM1919.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM1921.jpg

Kent Canary
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 19:50
Fraz,

Cheers for the pics, thats very smart. I like the way you can slip the existing belt clip over the bracket, I take it theres no slipping left to right?

I think this is one of the drawbacks of the Dension system in that the supplied bracket is for flat mount only (at least it was when I bought it) but I too got hold of a right angled piece of metal thanks to a friend and it was installed over the holes used for a previous Nokia phone install.

Good work there Fraz!

fraz13
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 20:01
When a first sat the iPod on the bit of metal before it was on the bracket it did slip about and a thought it was going to be a problem, After a mounted the metal on the bracket and fitted it in the car there was no slippage because the car never gets into those sorts of angles and the cable kinda pulls down on it holding it in place...

It was a quick fix thats worked very well :D

Kent Canary
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 20:32
Excellent, sometimes simple is best!