PDA

View Full Version : Blanking egr valves

S40kieran
Sunday 29th March 2015, 13:57
Now there seems to be split opinion on doing this, does anyone know the pros and cons I can't personally see the point in it being there.i know a lot of the land rover boys blank them any advice appreciated :)

stribo
Sunday 29th March 2015, 14:07
I'd definitely bin the EGR, as I said in the other thread, why would you want to send sooty inert gas through the engine?

c70geoff
Sunday 29th March 2015, 14:43
I have no real opinion on this but will tell u that I have picked up more vehicles with egr issues where they have been blanked off

Orca2
Sunday 29th March 2015, 14:54
It seems like a mad idea making an engine, ingest its own exhaust, they say it makes them burn cooler on a run , why bother with an intercooler when the engine is going to be fed dirty hot exhaust half of the time.
Its one of those baloney ideas that they dreamed up to cut cruising emissions thatdoesnt really work anywhere but in a laboratory test rig.
Imho clean cold air is all any engine should be getting.

Doingitsideways
Sunday 29th March 2015, 14:58
Yeah, bin it.

Load of crap.

S40kieran
Sunday 29th March 2015, 15:02
Bin it it is then lol

Harvey
Sunday 29th March 2015, 15:03
My work VW transporter has had lots of dash lights around EGR faults,it's going in for cracked exhaust manifold housing to turbo,just drive around with the windows open.:worried:
It's not 2 years old yet.

S40kieran
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 19:23
Egr blanking plate on its way egr binned :)

Matt86
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 19:38
EGR blanking is generally the preferred option. FYI - Be careful about MOT time as it's meant to reduce NOX emissions and you might be caught out on your next MOT.

S40kieran
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 19:43
Yes I did wonder about where i stood on that matt, also eml light etc, people have said they get theirs through with it blanked I know it's electric and is pretty pointless.

jamesy12345
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 19:57
EGR blanking is generally the preferred option. FYI - Be careful about MOT time as it's meant to reduce NOX emissions and you might be caught out on your next MOT.

?? how? on the NOx measuring machine? it would need to be a sharp eyed tester to spot that

T4PAT
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 20:02
Bin it Kieran its probably full of ££££ by now...lol

S40kieran
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 20:29
What about eml pat ;)

T4PAT
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 20:33
What about eml pat ;)

pm sent lol

Orca2
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 21:06
If your egr has never been off Kieran it almost certainly is 90% blanked anyway, those things are absolutely choked with crap by 140 k.

MVR
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 21:31
I did it on my old van,
First off I fully blanked it off but after a few miles of driving it around the ecu didn't like it and put it in limp mode. So with abit of research the answer was to drill a 6mm hole in it. I know it kind of defeats the objective of blanking it off but it stopped the ecu from having a fit and with a tiny hole it will of slowed down the recirculating of the gases

S40kieran
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 23:04
Mvr I've uploaded my two bikes in that cycling thread, anyway yes I've heard of people ripping the guts out of them so you are left with the shell :) and no eml light it's got to go lmao one way or the other :)

Orca2
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 23:43
Isnt that DPF's that people gut out? Your EGR system has next to nothing in it , just a valve and a pipe full of soot

Timo.
Friday 3rd April 2015, 13:20
I've just slipped in a blanking plate in my V50. I took the throttle body to clean it as it was sticking. It was a mess. I looked up into the inlet manifold and it was caked up to hell. Took it off and treated it to some oven cleaner. The amount of stuff that came out was crazy. I reckon it was probably restricting airflow by a good 15 to 20%. No more egr gases for me. Mine is an early euro 3 so no error messages. Hoping it helps fuel economy as 41-43 mpg is not floating my boat at the moment and that's me driving like a Granny.