PDA

View Full Version : Another Day Another Problem (Misfiring) :(

paddys09
Thursday 26th March 2015, 14:44
Hey guys,

So managed to fracture an ankle on one foot and my metatarsals on the other. Obviously couldn't drive whilst they were healing about 2 months altogether, started it up a few times and whatever but for the most part it just sat there.

All was well before, but now I'm misfiring on cylinders 1 and 5 according to a generic ODBII code reader that I borrowed, also recall something about the coolant sensor which cleared itself (might be important later though).

So I'm back driving again now and thought best place to start might be the spark plugs, they weren't in the best nick some heavy deposits formed on them but otherwise fairly normal, considering it went through it's ETM hissy fit since I put them in. One was a slightly different, a little too clean maybe a bit oily looking but not black. Think it was Cyl. No. 5.

Top engine mount needs replacing, going to order a polybush, actually cheaper than both oem and aftermarket. Wiring is a little messy undernath, oil and heat has made the wiring a little sensitive but as far as I can tell its all okay.

Took it for a drive after fitting the plugs in the hopes it might just go away lol... No such luck, running rich, burning cat, some unburnt fuel going down the exhaust, backfiring etc.

One other observation was that the engine got up to temperature, just below half way for this weather and then dropped to a bit more than usual on the way back... Maybe because it's not running on all cylinders, although maybe that coolant code from before actually meant something.

Thoughts?

LeeT5
Thursday 26th March 2015, 18:12
Hey guys,

So managed to fracture an ankle on one foot and my metatarsals on the other. Obviously couldn't drive whilst they were healing about 2 months altogether, started it up a few times and whatever but for the most part it just sat there.

All was well before, but now I'm misfiring on cylinders 1 and 5 according to a generic ODBII code reader that I borrowed, also recall something about the coolant sensor which cleared itself (might be important later though).

So I'm back driving again now and thought best place to start might be the spark plugs, they weren't in the best nick some heavy deposits formed on them but otherwise fairly normal, considering it went through it's ETM hissy fit since I put them in. One was a slightly different, a little too clean maybe a bit oily looking but not black. Think it was Cyl. No. 5.

Top engine mount needs replacing, going to order a polybush, actually cheaper than both oem and aftermarket. Wiring is a little messy undernath, oil and heat has made the wiring a little sensitive but as far as I can tell its all okay.

Took it for a drive after fitting the plugs in the hopes it might just go away lol... No such luck, running rich, burning cat, some unburnt fuel going down the exhaust, backfiring etc.

One other observation was that the engine got up to temperature, just below half way for this weather and then dropped to a bit more than usual on the way back... Maybe because it's not running on all cylinders, although maybe that coolant code from before actually meant something.

Thoughts?

Codes?

paddys09
Thursday 26th March 2015, 20:16
Codes?

Codes were read a couple of weeks ago, can't remember what they were, not very useful I know. Lost my code reader a while ago, but a couple of mates have some. Wasn't really top priority at the time, I thought it had just been sitting around too long and might clear after a reset and a drive.

Going to switch around the coilpacks and see if that changes the misfiring cylinders, should answer a few questions.

Thought I might as well throw a post up as I don't really get why this started happening just lying around. Maybe the occasional start up did more harm than good, weather might of been a factor, I dunno.

I suppose there's a ton of possibilities, in my experience p codes tend to send you on a wild goose chase. Not much else I can do tonight hopefully switching the coilpacks reveals something new, they're fairly cheap.

LeeT5
Thursday 26th March 2015, 21:19
Only thing I can think is maybe, as the cars been sat around for weeks and weeks it may have damp in places not welcome. Check the coils are not damp and maybe pull the crank sensor out and give it a wipe.