PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Leak and Wet Engine Floor

willsalisbury1984
Monday 16th March 2015, 17:33
Hi all,

Purchased my second Volvo over the weekend. A 2001 Volvo V70 T5 in red with 139 on the clock. Service history a fresh MOT and all seems sweet.

2 things I have noticed since is that the Power Steering Reservoir was low and it was obvious there was some misting or leaking from the bottom hose. I cleaned and topped up with CHF11S and am monitoring and after a 90 mile journey last night the level hasnt dipped but there was some wetness again from the bottom pipe where the clip holds it to the reservoir. Is it worth buying a new resovoir and pump and changing. I havent heard any noises from the steering but think I heard a murmur around 1 slow 90 degree left hander.

Secondly, when looking under the car last night the floor below the engine seemed wet. I touched it with a rag and it was dark/oily but have no idea what fluid it is. The oil level has not dropped. Could it be transmission fluid?, Could the Power Steering Fluid leak have caused all this wetness?

If I shine a torch in the gap down past the Power Steering reservoir to the right drive shaft it is looks wet and oily but I have no means of taking the floor off to check.

It was MOT'd Saturday morning with only 2 advisories (2 new rear tyres). Would a garage have taken the floor off? Would they have checked the power steering or failed it because of a low level, or noticed the wetness and said this needs doing or that needs doing?

Is there anything I can check or should be worried? It drives spot on without noises, loss in oil, power etc but this Reservoir issue and wetness of the floor does concern me.

Before I left to work today I put some cardboard down under the car to see for any leaks and the cardboard was clear 9 hours later.

I thank you all in advance for your help and really do appreciate your knowledge and attention to detail.

Will

LeeT5
Wednesday 25th March 2015, 22:11
Yes I would advise you to change the power steering reservoir and do an oil flush but you don't need to change the pump.

Due to the fact you've not had the car very long, I would start by degreasing the engine and engine bay, concentrating of course on the areas contaminated by oil leaks. Use a pressure washer and once clean and dry, you'll be able to see wear the fluid is leaking from.

From what you've said, it sounds to me as thou your drive shaft seal may be weeping. Fact is, power steering reservoirs are known to split on P2 models.