PDA

View Full Version : OOOOOOOOOK!! so get boost... get yourself a new problem!!!

Spooky
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 21:08
Got home tonight after a bit of a run to get used to the power again (and jesus has she got some power). thought i could smell burning oil so popped the bonnet and hey presto!!!

Seems to be spraying upwards as its also all over the inside of the bonnet... like soooooooooo!

I thought it may have been from the dipstick as the orange handle had come off so i have fixed it on again and the dip stick is seated in correctly so unless its forcing round it without blowing it out then its not coming from there.

Any clues anyone? There is no oil anywhere else but this area

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 21:12
It's coming out of the engine ;)

Spooky
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 21:13
oh and as an additional to this, i checked the oil on saturday and there was literally a slight reading right on the very tip of the dip stick.... so the guy at the shop put almost a full big bottle in here. Just thinking about it... was that too much? thats a 5l bottle right?

oblark
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 21:19
I had a simular problem, it was the pipe that comes from the block and goes to the PCV.

It had come off of the block and oil went everywhere.

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 21:20
Erm... Yeah!

Oil comes.in 1,4 or 5 litres.

Check the level again when cold to see if it's been overfilled!

Spooky
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 21:22
Erm... Yeah!

Oil comes.in 1,4 or 5 litres.

Check the level again when cold to see if it's been overfilled!

i bet it is hahahaha. well at least the engine wont rust for a while LMAO!! if its not coming from the PCV as oblark suggests, would it be coming back up the dipstick?

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 21:23
oh and as an additional to this, i checked the oil on saturday and there was literally a slight reading right on the very tip of the dip stick.... so the guy at the shop put almost a full big bottle in here. Just thinking about it... was that too much? thats a 5l bottle right?

I'd say, think he may have got carried away, of the top of my head I'd have thought the capacity was 5.5-6 litre total

someone will be along with the correct figure shortly if they haven't already posted it...lol

stribo
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 21:35
I'd say, think he may have got carried away, of the top of my head I'd have thought the capacity was 5.5-6 litre total

someone will be along with the correct figure shortly if they haven't already posted it...lol

You're bang on mate.

Biff
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 21:41
The book says 5.3 litres but I was happy with 5.5.

Spooky
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 21:43
nuts!!!! just checked the dip stick... erm i think the girls put a bit of weight on!!!!

Its reading where my thumb nail is!!

martin_r_smith
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 21:48
Yeah a tad too much! I wouldn't take it back to the fella again if I was you.

Best off draining some of that oil out before it blows some seals out too.

Spooky
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 21:51
Yeah a tad too much! I wouldn't take it back to the fella again if I was you.

Best off draining some of that oil out before it blows some seals out too.

will have to do it tomorrow when i get home from work now and drive like a vicar too and from work tomorrow :( which is a shame now i have my boost back but hey ho... best things in life and all that!

JT
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 22:03
IIRC, its only 1 ltr between min and max on the dispstick,so you have (or did have) about 4 ltrs too much!!

hopefully Oblarks suggestion is right and released the pressure

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 22:07
You're bang on mate.

The book says 5.3 litres but I was happy with 5.5.

see I said someone would be along with the correct answer, I assuming that's what you meant Steve..:)

But is 5.3 litres to min, max or nicely in the middle....?????

Spooky
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 22:13
IIRC, its only 1 ltr between min and max on the dispstick,so you have (or did have) about 4 ltrs too much!!

hopefully Oblarks suggestion is right and released the pressure

dont suppose there is a pic of this anywhere so i know what im looking for is there? cant see anything obvious that out of place you see.

hemihusky
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 22:13
on the dipstick dont it have a lil marking? mine has 1.5L on it that i assume is 1.5L from the bottom reading to the top of the stick. so yeah if they put a big bottle in then thats way overfull

oblark
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 22:48
The only way to see if the pipe had come off is to remove the inlet manifold

LeeT5
Wednesday 11th March 2015, 02:12
This happened to me once when I had my P1 R with the 2.3 T5 lump.

Check your dipstick 'O' rings. There should be two. If you only have one, then you have the old style dipstick. Volvo super seeded it with a new stick that has two 'O' rings. This makes it fit much tighter and will prevent the oil from escaping out the tube.

However, your's is clearly over filled, so it's just as well it did come out the tube and not the rear main seal!

Also, I'd check your PCV isn't blocked once you have the oil level correct.

To check:

Warm the engine up to temperature then let idle for a few minutes. Without switching off, open the bonnet and slightly pull out the dipstick. There should be no white oil vapour chuffing out. If there is, then your PCV's blocked and that will have contributed to the oil being forced up your dipstick tube......cos the crankcase needs to breath!

One more thing.....You did wipe the dipstick before taking a reading? oil residue in the tube can give a false reading. :wink:

Spooky
Wednesday 11th March 2015, 06:43
Yeah I've got her booked for the pcv doING next weekend any how.just need to find one :)

Yeah I wiped the stick :) where will these rings be, just under the handle ring?

LeeT5
Wednesday 11th March 2015, 08:40
Yeah I've got her booked for the pcv doING next weekend any how.just need to find one :)

Yeah I wiped the stick :) where will these rings be, just under the handle ring?

Yes. Two black O rings not one.

Spooky
Wednesday 11th March 2015, 08:56
Yes. Two black O rings not one.

hmmmmm i have none LMAO!!!

ok so thats something else i need to get!!

LeeT5
Wednesday 11th March 2015, 10:05
hmmmmm i have none LMAO!!!

ok so thats something else i need to get!!

There you go then! That's where the oil came from :wink:

Basically, no 'O' rings means the oil cannot be prevented from escaping the dipstick tube. Coupled with the fact it is overfilled and the PCV is blocked.....is a recipe for it to spew the oil out, and because it comes out the tube, it will be under slight pressure.

Drop your oil all out when you do the PCV. Replace the dipstick with a new one....there about £12.

It won't happen again. :B_thumb:

Spooky
Wednesday 11th March 2015, 10:54
Oil dropped CHECK

dip stick replacementioned sought UNDERWAY

lesson learnt HELL YEAH

Gold 'N' Brown
Wednesday 11th March 2015, 13:30
Who in the ££££ tops up their oil and doesn't check the level is right? What an absolute numpty!

Spooky
Wednesday 11th March 2015, 21:06
Who in the ££££ tops up their oil and doesn't check the level is right? What an absolute numpty!

I agree... last time i let anyone else touch her but me!

LeeT5
Wednesday 25th March 2015, 22:21
So, is it sorted now?

960kg
Thursday 26th March 2015, 10:57
Just to help!!! ...on a 1997 T5 there are TWO sizes of "O" ring on the dipstick ...so you may need your chassis number to get the correct one...been there...Lol

MA'R'K
Thursday 26th March 2015, 11:20
Have you tried putting your thumb over the dipstick tube? If there is any back pressure forcing your thumb off the tube then your PCV is blocked! I replaced all my PCV with OEM equipment, but the top hose leading from the cam cover disintegrated around the clip leading to a load of oil being spat onto the underside of the bonnet! This pipe was only a year or so old.... so even OEM equipment can fail prematurely too!

Spooky
Saturday 28th March 2015, 11:52
So, is it sorted now?

Yes mate..... dropped about 4l !!! from here and she is 100% fine... I believe i have been a VERY lucky boy!! going to get the PCV changed in the next couple of weeks because it needs doing anyway but given this little episode i would rather be safe sooner than later LOL