PDA

View Full Version : Erm... pretty sure this is NOT supposed to do this!! (video included)

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 18:54
So i just popped the air filter off to have a look at it preparing for its clean on Friday night :)

first question is, from these pics is the air filter in the right way round!

This is how i have just taken it from the car (and I have never touched it and yes i know it needs cleaning badly!)

This side is on the MAF (does this arrow not indicate in?)

And this is a pic of the other side (does the arrow not indicate out?)

I put her all back together the way she came apart anyway and started her up.... and then i happened to notice this pipe doing this!!! WTF!!! Pretty sure thats not right! Now given my problems with no boost... what does this indicate anyone please?

http://youtu.be/XH5vMArAr78

claymore
Monday 9th March 2015, 18:58
Looks like it's on the right way to me :), just looked at the video, have you tried it with the filter off?

stribo
Monday 9th March 2015, 19:00
The air filter is just rusty inside, unfortunately, some of the cheap (and not so cheap) one's rust quite quickly. Your top intercooler hose needs replacing, as it's collapsing under vacuum.

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 19:00
Looks like it's on the right way to me :)

really? Im confused now then LOL... i thought air comes through the filter from outside, through the maf and to the turbo? these arrows indicate that its the other way round doesnt it? Or am i being dumb on this one LOL

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 19:02
The air filter is just rusty inside, unfortunately, some of the cheap (and not so cheap) one's rust quite quickly. Your top intercooler hose needs replacing, as it's collapsing under vacuum.

cool, so new air filter.... the intercooler would that cause no boost Stribo? Sorry for the questions but im still learning all this hahahaah

claymore
Monday 9th March 2015, 19:05
air will go through the filter in either direction, but if you put it on the other way (the wrong way) there would be a big danger of that chrome cap in the center of the filter being sucked off and into the maf and then on into the turbo.

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 19:28
air will go through the filter in either direction, but if you put it on the other way (the wrong way) there would be a big danger of that chrome cap in the center of the filter being sucked off and into the maf and then on into the turbo.

ahhh right... cheers pal. that explains it much better cheers :)

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 19:52
is it worth me RIP'ing her? I would like to replace all the hoses anyway... i fancy something in blue LOL.

jamesy12345
Monday 9th March 2015, 20:21
if the filter is very blocked then vacuum is higher in the system than usual, maybe the reason for hose collapse

That is why Colin said try without filter

The hose won't collapse under boost but a blocked filter would reduce the positive pressure by restricting air flow to the turbo. I think you could do a lot worse than put that filter in the bin and fit a standard one

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 20:33
if the filter is very blocked then vacuum is higher in the system than usual, maybe the reason for hose collapse

That is why Colin said try without filter

The hose won't collapse under boost but a blocked filter would reduce the positive pressure by restricting air flow to the turbo. I think you could do a lot worse than put that filter in the bin and fit a standard one

oppsss never saw his comment about with the filter off LOL... will give that a whirl now.... standby! LOL

infact its pitch black out there.... maybe a job for tomorrow when i get home from work !

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 20:42
curiosty got the better of me... just popped it off and that pipe is fine... doesnt collapse at all!

hemihusky
Monday 9th March 2015, 20:42
i had the pipe issue before when running a standard airbox. not as bad admitidly but changed it for another genuine volvo one and ive not had any issues since =)

claymore
Monday 9th March 2015, 20:44
curiosty got the better of me... just popped it off and that pipe is fine... doesnt collapse at all!

There you go, chuck that filter in the bin :)

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 20:53
i had the pipe issue before when running a standard airbox. not as bad admitidly but changed it for another genuine volvo one and ive not had any issues since =)

did you also have no boost HH??

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 20:54
There you go, chuck that filter in the bin :)

will do buddy!! (and sorry i didnt see your edit on your reply haha)

Just looked through the invoices i got with her and the filter was bought from PFV in 2006!! Need to find another now... any recommends?

claymore
Monday 9th March 2015, 20:57
did you also have no boost HH??

Turbo won't be able to boost if the air filter is causing a restriction, I gained 20bhp on the dyno by just taking my air filter off.

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 21:02
Turbo won't be able to boost if the air filter is causing a restriction, I gained 20bhp on the dyno by just taking my air filter off.

jesus!!!

well im gonna have to clean this one up for now until i can source a replacement. time to crack out the Fairy and Aerial LOL

claymore
Monday 9th March 2015, 21:07
just put a cone filter on there for now.

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 21:20
just put a cone filter on there for now.

are these homemade or purchased?

claymore
Monday 9th March 2015, 21:22
Halfords

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 21:27
Halfords

ewwwwwww! but as a stop gap ... ;)

claymore
Monday 9th March 2015, 21:29
why as a stop gap, I had a halfords cone filter on my car and it only showed a problem at over 400bhp.

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 21:31
what about one of these? (cant find anything on halfords website other than replacement filters for the stock filter)

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/universal-air-filters/drift-twin-cone-metal-cap-filters

claymore
Monday 9th March 2015, 21:33
Yep, that's the same as I used to have.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/2ee66e73-a8a2-4716-ad83-cba137d272dc.jpg (http://s170.photobucket.com/user/claymore2k/media/2ee66e73-a8a2-4716-ad83-cba137d272dc.jpg.html)

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 21:36
Yep, that's the same as I used to have.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/2ee66e73-a8a2-4716-ad83-cba137d272dc.jpg (http://s170.photobucket.com/user/claymore2k/media/2ee66e73-a8a2-4716-ad83-cba137d272dc.jpg.html)

ok you just opened a whole can of worms with that pic.... I will start with WTF IS THAT !!!! :B_steerin

claymore
Monday 9th March 2015, 21:40
ok you just opened a whole can of worms with that pic.... I will start with WTF IS THAT !!!! :B_steerin
Just the same as yours with a few extra bells and whistles.

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 21:46
Just the same as yours with a few extra bells and whistles.

is this the 400BHP beast? whats the big silver box where the airfilter should be?

claymore
Monday 9th March 2015, 21:48
its more like 750bhp, the silver box thing is the first stage intercooler.

Biff
Monday 9th March 2015, 22:22
You could learn a bit off Mr Claymore. He's a bit of a chap.

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 22:32
its more like 750bhp, the silver box thing is the first stage intercooler.

WOW!!! you are clearly very mad LOL! 750bhp... that ridiculous. Is this one of those in your signature? (im guessing TT10?) if so i will have a read through instead of bombarding you with questions.

Thank you so much for all your help as well.. its been very much appreciated! :)

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 22:33
You could learn a bit off Mr Claymore. He's a bit of a chap.

I concur... his knowledge tonight along with the other guys has been invaluable and saved me taking her to a mechanic. I dont mind getting my hands dirty, its just knowing what to do :)

Biff
Monday 9th March 2015, 22:47
I concur... his knowledge tonight along with the other guys has been invaluable and saved me taking her to a mechanic. I dont mind getting my hands dirty, its just knowing what to do :)

I totally agree. I was pretty lost when I first got my old t5. I learnt a lot via colin & the regulars on this forum. ;)
It's a slippery slope though modifying... Look at colin, 1 engine isn't enough, neither is one super charger or one turbo charger.

Spooky
Monday 9th March 2015, 22:55
I totally agree. I was pretty lost when I first got my old t5. I learnt a lot via colin & the regulars on this forum. ;)
It's a slippery slope though modifying... Look at colin, 1 engine isn't enough, neither is one super charger or one turbo charger.

yeah ive been putting off the modding thing because i knew once i started the bills would mount up... but all this chatter and looking at Colin's build thread is DEFO not helping resisting the urge!

Spooky
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 07:11
Why HEEELLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO MR TURBO! And where the ££££ do you think you've been!! Hahaha

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 11:00
I take it the air filter was causing your boost problems then buddy?

Its amazing how one little thing can cause such a problem!

Have you done a stage 0 tune on it?
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?217-Stage-0-Tune-Up

Might be worth it considering the state of the air filter...

stribo
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 13:12
Wow, how dirty was your air filter that it would hardly let any air through. You really must clean it more regularly. ;)

Spooky
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 13:24
I take it the air filter was causing your boost problems then buddy?

Its amazing how one little thing can cause such a problem!

Have you done a stage 0 tune on it?
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?217-Stage-0-Tune-Up

Might be worth it considering the state of the air filter...

Are trying to goad me into modding young man!! If so it's working hahah

Spooky
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 13:26
Wow, how dirty was your air filter that it would hardly let any air through. You really must clean it more regularly. ;)

My head is hung in shame my friend and be assured other maintenance tasks are under taken every 6 months due to her age. To be honest I have absolutely no idea why I have neglected the air filter so badly :(

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 22:56
Are trying to goad me into modding young man!! If so it's working hahah
Stage 0 is your base tune up, get everything in working order first (like clean air filter LOL)

And then the modding begins :D :D