PDA

View Full Version : V70 crankcase breather oil separator.

stuAWD
Wednesday 23rd November 2005, 10:40
Took ENGINEERS advise. Please dont reply to this post.

Sorry no photos.
Cant help with the crank case oil seal, but can give some advise on the crank case breather oil separator as I've just changed mine on 1998 V70R AWD.
Fairly straightforward job. Few things I would have liked to have known before I started it though. Essential tool for removing the inlet manifold bolts is a 6mm/1/4" drive socket set with long reach bar. Also found usefull a telescopic magnet for reaching the bolts to remove & replace them. Take care when removing the breather pipe that goes from the oil separator around the left side of the engine into the air ducting. This pipe looks to be made of soft pliable rubber, its not, its hard plastic, covered in heat resistent foam and is easily broken if handled roughly, but if your replacing the oil separator you might as well replace this pipe at the same time, it's probably in the same condition as the separator.
One more thing, the bolts holding the dipstick and the inlet manifold steady bracket. can be reached from above or below the car, from above the car remove the throttle control unit (the breathers and electrical connections will have to be removed any way to remove the inlet manifold) this leaves just four bolts holding the throttle control unit. When this is removed it opens up a handy accees point to get to the dipstick & manifold steady bracket bolts.
Dont know what car your working on but the other stuff you will figure out as you going.

weasel
Saturday 26th November 2005, 18:37
perhaps a dumb question but does this require the oil to be drained?

stuAWD
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 10:23
Simple answer, No.

robin2
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 00:01
Hi stu. You gave me some helpful advice on crasnkseal etc, but im afraid i cant find name and address of garage you mentioned i think it was formula something. can you send again please .cheers robin.

stuAWD
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 16:49
Hi stu. You gave me some helpful advice on crasnkseal etc, but im afraid i cant find name and address of garage you mentioned i think it was formula something. can you send again please .cheers robin.
Sorry mate, not me who gave the garage address.