PDA

View Full Version : Battery drain, S80 T6

Doingitsideways
Sunday 8th March 2015, 21:12
Hi all.

I've got a wierd battery drain on the S80.

It's had a new alternator and battery, but if left for anything more than a few days, it's just not got enough juice left to start the car.

It's going to end up at an auto electrician I think, but I was wandering if anyone has any ideas before it goes in and no doubt robs me of an arm and a kidney in the process?!

It does throw up the old "Alarm service required" message on start up, presumably pointing to a dead/leaking siren battery. Could this be related?

AcidicDavey
Sunday 8th March 2015, 21:15
Get your multimeter out and start pulling fuses, you should be able to then see which circuit the fault lies in.

Spooky
Sunday 8th March 2015, 21:18
check out my post on this on my car dude.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?59126-Trying-to-trace-my-battery-drain-story-so-far-(advice-needed!)

There is a link in there as well to guide and if you scroll down some sound advice from Harvey as well :)

Spooky
Sunday 8th March 2015, 21:19
oh and if you dont feel confident to do it pop over and I will do it for ya mate. Im only 45 mins drive away from you :)

jamesy12345
Sunday 8th March 2015, 21:21
Get your multimeter out and start pulling fuses, you should be able to then see which circuit the fault lies in.

I would sort the alarm out first, he could be on a while checking all those circuits in a T6

Take fuse #38 out (alarm) see if that helps

AcidicDavey
Sunday 8th March 2015, 21:50
Absolutely, start with circuits with known issues.

Connect a multimeter as described in Spooky's thread and check the AMP draw, keep pulling fuses until the amp draw goes down. Which ever fuse pulled makes it drop then that is the circuit at fault.