PDA

View Full Version : Tyres rubbing on full lock

argm
Sunday 8th March 2015, 16:59
53' plate S60, on full lock the tyres rub on the inside wheel arch.
Suspension troubles? Wrong size alloys? They are the 17-inch Volvo alloys not sure of the name.

I assume 5mm spacers would do the trick. But I just don't know why this would happen.

foammanmark
Sunday 8th March 2015, 17:04
Possibly time to increase your turning circle even more with blue steering lock stops.

claymore
Sunday 8th March 2015, 17:11
Standard on S60..lol, there is even an exemption on the mot for it :)

stephenevans99
Sunday 8th March 2015, 17:24
It's strange how mine never scrubbed the arches, even with 235/40R18s fitted :confused: Like you say though, a common problem which is allowed for in the MOT.

There should be a metal plate fitted in the arch where they tend to rub....unless these were fitted post production.

foammanmark
Sunday 8th March 2015, 17:40
I remember a very similar issue with my p2 V70's, but after playing with the wheels.

argm
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 17:44
Thanks for the info guys! I'll have look into the steering lock stops..

Ettienne
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 18:04
Suspension troubles? Wrong size alloys? They are the 17-inch Volvo alloys not sure of the name.

I assume 5mm spacers would do the trick. But I just don't know why this would happen.

Welcome to the p2 club

LeeT5
Tuesday 10th March 2015, 18:51

If its just started doing it then it will be your lock stops. They wear over time and cause the lock to increase, therefore rubbing your wheel arch.
You won't need to fit the metal plates unless you have 18" wheels.
All you need to do is buy two new lock stops. Think your are Blue, they are Black on the R models and slightly thicker.
You could fit Black ones, but then you'd have the same crappy turning circle as an R model.

10mm spanner/socket to remove (easy) and don't forget to smear them with grease. Helps prevent noise on lock and will reduce the wear rate.