PDA

View Full Version : Rear Screen Washer

Martinr
Wednesday 23rd November 2005, 09:17
Can anyone suggest what is going on here with my 855.

Travelling up to Lancashire on the M6 Monday night. Lousy weather so used the washers quite a bit.

Tuesday morning set out to work and the low washer level light came on when accelerating. Everything worked OK.

Coming home on Tuesday, started off light flashing on under acceleration. Front and back work fine. Eventually with use the rear runs dry, (pump outlet is higher in the bottle so expected this). Light on more or less all the time on the journey but fronts still OK. Already 8pm turned so didn't want to stop again.

Get home, topped up the bottle to the neck. This morning fronts fine, light off but although I can hear the pump working the rear refuses to spray.

Thought at first might be frozen but too warm for that.

I doubt that the pipes under the seat have come adrift as I haven't moved them in weeks.

Behind the O/S headlamp there is a cylindrical object that is part of the washers with a pipe coming in, a breather and a feed out but this only seems to me to be connected to the fronts and the headlamps, (the washers for which have never worked since I have had the car).

Any thoughts anyone what to check?

splatt
Wednesday 23rd November 2005, 13:36
In the offside rear post you can access the feed pipe for the washers by removing the light. in the pipe there is an anti syphon valve (little white plastic thingy ), this can be cause of the problems amongst other things....

weasel
Wednesday 23rd November 2005, 14:36
it's better to fill before it gets to that point, but keep trying it should work...... eventually!

The Flying Banana
Wednesday 23rd November 2005, 14:48
Is the spare wheel well wet..the pipe donnecting to the pump for the back window sometimes comes off under pressure and pumps straight into the boot!!! ( the pump is under the panel on teh right hand side of spare well well )

Babybadger
Wednesday 23rd November 2005, 17:40

Travelling up to Lancashire on the M6 Monday night. Lousy weather so used the washers quite a bit.

Tuesday morning set out to work and the low washer level light came on when accelerating. Everything worked OK.

Coming home on Tuesday, started off light flashing on under acceleration. Front and back work fine. Eventually with use the rear runs dry, (pump outlet is higher in the bottle so expected this). Light on more or less all the time on the journey but fronts still OK. Already 8pm turned so didn't want to stop again.

Get home, topped up the bottle to the neck. This morning fronts fine, light off but although I can hear the pump working the rear refuses to spray.

I doubt that the pipes under the seat have come adrift as I haven't moved them in weeks.

Behind the O/S headlamp there is a cylindrical object that is part of the washers with a pipe coming in, a breather and a feed out but this only seems to me to be connected to the fronts and the headlamps, (the washers for which have never worked since I have had the car).

Any thoughts anyone what to check?

Mine has done the same 304 RICA I blame ! It s like a rocking horse ....on the boost .....off the boost , love it ........thanks VT! :remybussi

Andrew
Wednesday 23rd November 2005, 17:43
Mine did it for a while after a day or two it came back. I think it may have been an air lock or something similar.

Ac.

Martinr
Thursday 24th November 2005, 10:16
Thanks for the replies. Will have to wait till the weekend before I can investigate further.

Babybadger
Thursday 24th November 2005, 16:41
Thanks for the replies. Will have to wait till the weekend before I can investigate further.

Let me know the answer because I am stumped at working out mine. Originally it never worked because some ££££ replaced the bumper and squeezed the pipe which I managed to free. It worked superbishly (for a rear washer) until it ran out one day like yours. Now it won't work and the boot isn't wet! Have checked the little white cylinder in the boot under the flap , no water.........so it must be starved from somewhere.

Colin 850 T5
Thursday 24th November 2005, 21:14
What route does the pipe for the rear washer follow from front to back?

T5Rdragon
Thursday 24th November 2005, 22:44

Bloodyhell!

Mine has done exactly the same thing today under the very same circumstances - washer light on when accellerating - front squirting fine, as was rear, then rear just stopped - I assumed that the pipe that feeds the rear is above the one for the front and thus the level just got too low, but upon filling, the rear still refuses to squirt!

Haven't checked for water in the boot yet - too dark...

Babybadger
Monday 28th November 2005, 14:05
What route does the pipe for the rear washer follow from front to back?

It must go through a void in the bulkhead and heads down the passenger side (mine's a left hooker), posssibly in a cable void, and the right hand part of the boot floor comes up to reveal a white filmcan reservoir type thing. From here it must go through the 'd' pillar and up to the tailgate!

Gulty
Monday 28th November 2005, 14:45
I have no water, also the wiper blade is stuck vertical on the rear screen.
Are they linked. It moves but really slow, not enough power to do a full cycle.

Martinr
Monday 28th November 2005, 17:16
Checked the boot floor the weekend and it is dry.

In the garage for a service Wednesday so willask them to look/comment.

Gulty, sound like your wiper motor spindle is seizing. Do a search as I think there have been posts on this before.

Martinr
Wednesday 30th November 2005, 09:32
An update. Used the washer by accident yesterday and guess what it has healed itself!!

Can only assume problem was an airlock in the line. Wonder if when refilling the bottle it is best to put a little in first, get the rear working then fill it up? Thinking this as the only thing that has changed is the fluid I have used since refilling.

Glad to have it back in this weather.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 30th November 2005, 16:18
Used to get this all the time in my 855 - very careful never to let the reservoir fully empty. Air lock is the main issue. I had to jack the car up - take the pipe off the bottom pump (accessible from behind the front valance on the nearside) and blow through it. Care must be taken removing the pipe as it is easy to snap the junction into the pump.