PDA

View Full Version : Broken steering fluid cap

Shevek
Monday 2nd March 2015, 08:17
Morning all

I just checked my steering fluid level and the cap broke when I was putting it back on.

Part of the cap broke off and dropped into the header tank and now won't tighten, it's not the dipstick bit so I can only assume its the bit which actually grips under the lip of the tank spout.

Is it ok to drive without the cap on or does it need to be a sealed system?

Is the bit that broke off going to cause problems in the tank?

Cheers

LeeT5
Monday 2nd March 2015, 13:27
Clamp the hoses to the reservoir.
Suck out as much oil as you can using a big syringe....(about 500ml)
Then remove the reservoir and see if you can shake out the broken bit.

I have a spare Reservoir cap you can have if you want? You just need to cover postage.

The bit that broke will not enter the pump as it will be too big. However, is it worth the risk? A new pump will cost you hundreds where as a new cap....

Reverend
Tuesday 3rd March 2015, 03:39
You should be able to reach it with needle nose pliers and pull the broken part out. I'd use good amounts of strong tape to keep the reservoir sealed while waiting for the new part or heading straight to the wreckers for another used one.

Shevek
Tuesday 3rd March 2015, 07:48
Cheers both!

Lee, whereabouts in Maidstone are you? I work in King's Hill...

LeeT5
Tuesday 3rd March 2015, 08:38
PM sent.

LeeT5
Wednesday 4th March 2015, 10:36
If you bring your car to me, I will remove the reservoir and retrieve the broken part. Long nose pliers won't reach if its dropped to the bottom, plus you risk damaging the valve if you ram some pliers in there!

Obviously, I'll refill the reservoir and fit you a new (spare) cap.

I'll do all that for a pint of milk and a jar of coffee and some Jammy dodgems! :)

Shevek
Thursday 5th March 2015, 08:01
Awesome Lee! I'll give you a bell to arrange a time. Thanks!

What's your preferred coffee brand? :)

LeeT5
Thursday 5th March 2015, 08:57
Good ole Nescafé is fine. Call me asap cos today is my last day off. Back to work tomorrow, but I'm around all day.