PDA

View Full Version : Header Tank/Radiator Leak?

TerryW
Friday 27th February 2015, 18:24
Just over the last couple of weeks i have been loosing water somewhere, when the car is cold the water in the header tank stays at the right level, actually the car has been parked up for 2 weeks at heathrow airport carpark as i have been in the USA on business, so i checked the level when i arrived to come home this morning and the level was still at max, the 60-70 mile drive home with car at right temperature, i checked the header tank when i arrived home and and the level is 1/2 way between max and min, and another short journey i am guaranteed i will have to top up as the low water level light will no doubt come on any ideas, i am guessing leak in pipework around header tank or radiator i guess?

stribo
Friday 27th February 2015, 18:57
Could well be a leak, but it may be a split liner. Check for leaks first off, if you have no luck finding one, get a sniff test done to rule out a split liner.

LeeT5
Friday 27th February 2015, 20:43
Just over the last couple of weeks i have been loosing water somewhere, when the car is cold the water in the header tank stays at the right level, actually the car has been parked up for 2 weeks at heathrow airport carpark as i have been in the USA on business, so i checked the level when i arrived to come home this morning and the level was still at max, the 60-70 mile drive home with car at right temperature, i checked the header tank when i arrived home and and the level is 1/2 way between max and min, and another short journey i am guaranteed i will have to top up as the low water level light will no doubt come on any ideas, i am guessing leak in pipework around header tank or radiator i guess?

I did a sniff test on your car last time but when your passing......:wink:

TerryW
Tuesday 3rd March 2015, 16:28
Ok, well S60R is in at volvo as on Saturday engine management light came on and stayed on, that with the water leaking from header tank when hot and working its way to the minimum line after 1 journey lead Volvo to think its the head gasket, but they need to do there diagnostic work and have it for the week while i have the wife's car. Hopefully its not, sniff test done showed definitely no issues a couple of months back. If its the head gasket, car will be parked up to sell, which is a shame given the work down with angle gear etc., and i will look into leasing for the business.

LeeT5
Tuesday 3rd March 2015, 19:51
Ok, well S60R is in at volvo as on Saturday engine management light came on and stayed on, that with the water leaking from header tank when hot and working its way to the minimum line after 1 journey lead Volvo to think its the head gasket, but they need to do there diagnostic work and have it for the week while i have the wife's car. Hopefully its not, sniff test done showed definitely no issues a couple of months back. If its the head gasket, car will be parked up to sell, which is a shame given the work down with angle gear etc., and i will look into leasing for the business.

PM sent.

stribo
Tuesday 3rd March 2015, 19:58
It's rare for the head gaskets to go on these, normally a liner goes first.

TerryW
Thursday 5th March 2015, 16:33
OK well feedback from Volvo today says its the head gasket, but they cannot say whether its the liners or head gasket unless they take the head off basically, well the price for Volvo to sought it £3-£4000.00. I will keep you posted on the events over the next weeks as i have some options thanks to Lee T5

handyandyrta
Thursday 5th March 2015, 16:41
Sounds very much like the problem I have with my 70 t5. On way home from work the coolant needed to be topped up (less than 20mile journey).

LeeT5
Thursday 5th March 2015, 23:15
OK well feedback from Volvo today says its the head gasket, but they cannot say whether its the liners or head gasket unless they take the head off basically, well the price for Volvo to sought it £3-£4000.00. I will keep you posted on the events over the next weeks as i have some options thanks to Lee T5

Told you it would be £3500 to fix!

It will be 99% liners mate and even if it is the head gasket, doesn't matter, the heads still gotta come off! So you know what to do, as discussed.

TerryW
Saturday 7th March 2015, 10:44
OK here's the update have spoken to a great chap called Tim Williams really good guy, upfront and honest and knowledgeable. Yes he can make a 500 repair, but the preference is to replace the engine, the thing is after our discussion it became apparent with the mileage I am doing things will only to continue to fail, and its 10 year old performance car so I have decided to bale out, before it starts costing me even more money, cause a new engine or repair won't stop there, Tim knows someone who would be interested in the car as is, I have to pay off a bit of finance on it as well as getting a another car likely to lease sensible if boring c250 Cdi merc.