PDA

View Full Version : Which power steering fluid for my C70 T5?

foammanmark
Thursday 26th February 2015, 19:14
I need to replace quite a lot of fluid, so I'm thinking of doing a complete change. The current fluid is red, but is that the correct stuff for a year 2000 C70 T5? Looking around the web and there is such conflicting info.

LeeT5
Thursday 26th February 2015, 19:58
You need Pentosin CHF 11S. It's green synthetic oil.

You can also get it from S C Motor factors, made by Comma. The Comma stuff is MVCHF. It's £9.59 a litre....I know, cos I bought 3 litres today!

Euros don't do it.

The old fluid Volvo used to use was CHF202 but it's now superseded by CHF11S.

here...http://www.autosessive.com/res/images/product/parts/consumables/_normal/CHF1L.jpg

foammanmark
Thursday 26th February 2015, 20:24
Thanks for the above. So what affect could the red stuff have had on my car if it wasn't the right one for the car please? I've always thought that there was excessive 'groaning' when applying a fair bit of lock.

LeeT5
Thursday 26th February 2015, 20:36
Thanks for the above. So what affect could the red stuff have had on my car if it wasn't the right one for the car please? I've always thought that there was excessive 'groaning' when applying a fair bit of lock.

It will destroy your seals over time. it will also cause the steering to not perform as well as it should.

Mines getting flushed tomorrow with 3 litres of CHF11S. That will make sure it's all clean and fully replenished. I'll be sucking out the first 500ml and replacing the Reservoir and lid too.

foammanmark
Thursday 26th February 2015, 21:00
Halfords £9.99/litre for the Comma stuff, so I will get 2-3 of those sorted.

foammanmark
Saturday 28th February 2015, 22:14
Right, I have to admit to being lazy in that I'm topping up with the red stuff which is already in there. Had the car for 3 years and she came with red stuff in, so I'll see how I go on with that. Hoping to have her back on the road tomorrow after fitting the replacement alternator today.

merc85
Saturday 28th February 2015, 22:56
whoops only saw the Red bit lol, If thats what comma is saying then Yes CHF11s is green

foammanmark
Saturday 28th February 2015, 23:08
whoops only saw the Red bit lol, If thats what comma is saying then Yes CHF11s is green

I got a litre of Comma ATF, and will see how she goes on with that. Thanks for your help with the quotes and that Gav, but with 165k on the clock I bought a used alternator at £45.00.

merc85
Saturday 28th February 2015, 23:20
I got a litre of Comma ATF, and will see how she goes on with that. Thanks for your help with the quotes and that Gav, but with 165k on the clock I bought a used alternator at £45.00.

honestly no probs buddy, always do my best :)

foammanmark
Sunday 1st March 2015, 15:58
honestly no probs buddy, always do my best :)

Appreciate that Gav, and if the car had done 120k or less, then I would have had a new one off you without hesitation.

LeeT5
Sunday 1st March 2015, 17:38

Why did you get that? I told you the correct fluid to use was CHF11S which is green, not Automatic Transmission Fluid! You said you were going to get the Comma MVCHF from Halfords, not ATF fluid. Thought you were doing a fluid flush not topping it up with the wrong oil?

foammanmark
Sunday 1st March 2015, 17:41
Why did you get that? I told you the correct fluid to use was CHF11S which is green, not Automatic Transmission Fluid! You said you were going to get the Comma MVCHF from Halfords, not ATF fluid. Thought you were doing a fluid flush not topping it up with the wrong oil?

Simply that she already has the red stuff in her, and it has worked for the 3 years that I've had the car.

foammanmark
Sunday 1st March 2015, 18:11
Seriously Lee, if the red stuff is the incorrect fluid , then I will change it. I also just wanted the car back on the road as it was really annoying me that she was off the road. 3 litres for a full flush and top-up should be enough please?

LeeT5
Sunday 1st March 2015, 18:52
3 litres will be easily enough.

foammanmark
Sunday 1st March 2015, 20:15
3 litres will be easily enough.

Job for next weekend, and a job worth doing by the looks of it.............

LeeT5
Sunday 1st March 2015, 22:28
Job for next weekend, and a job worth doing by the looks of it.............

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?51462-LeeT5-s-V70R-Project

How to from #174

Pliskin
Thursday 19th May 2016, 17:14
Hi all,

Amongst many things which, as they do all seem to come along at once, weeks away from payday it would appear that my power steering fluid has decided to deposit itself on my drive. The reservoir is almost empty and to get it to the garage I went to my local motor factors to get some more to top it up.

When I gave him my reg (1999 V70 2.4 petrol auto) he suggested a particular brand, which I forgotten, but the main thing is the colour was green as opposed to the almost clear fluid that is left in the reservoir.

He said he had never come across clear PAS fluid. I haven't changed the fluid in the four years I have had the car so don't know what was put in it.

As anyone any ideas?

Regards to all

LeeT5
Thursday 19th May 2016, 19:29
Hi all,

Amongst many things which, as they do all seem to come along at once, weeks away from payday it would appear that my power steering fluid has decided to deposit itself on my drive. The reservoir is almost empty and to get it to the garage I went to my local motor factors to get some more to top it up.

When I gave him my reg (1999 V70 2.4 petrol auto) he suggested a particular brand, which I forgotten, but the main thing is the colour was green as opposed to the almost clear fluid that is left in the reservoir.

He said he had never come across clear PAS fluid. I haven't changed the fluid in the four years I have had the car so don't know what was put in it.

As anyone any ideas?

Regards to all

No such thing as clear PS fluid mate.

My guess is, whatever's in it clearly (pardon the pun) isn't correct.
Find the cause of the leak, fix it and refill with OE fluid or Comma MVCHF, which is what I used.

M-R-P
Thursday 19th May 2016, 21:58
Volvo fluid is green btw

hillmangt
Thursday 19th May 2016, 23:48
I've known people use brake fluid which is generally clear!! Won't do the steering much good and if it is brake fluid make sure it doesn't get on the paintwork for obvious reasons. Cheers Andy

Ettienne
Friday 20th May 2016, 17:36
Isn't Is only the p2s that use the green MVCHF fluid and the earlier cars use dextron 3.

Pliskin
Saturday 21st May 2016, 10:48
Thanks for the replies, to add insult to injury the central locking has just given up. I think this could be terminal.