PDA

View Full Version : really strange problem,could be brakes!!!

TEAMWAYSIDE21
Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 12:49
drove my car out at lunch,went towards a bend,and the pedal went to the floor!!!!!but still seemed to brake okay........

got out the car,checked the brake fluid and that was fine!!

what is going on,i must admit that when you brake,it does seem to go to the side a bit,,,,
please can someone give me a hand,i am stuck,and i don't really want to drive it like this.......

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 13:10
Didn't think you used your brakes for corners....(bruntingthorpe).....he he....
Get your self a free brake test at ATS if nobody here is near enough to give you a hand....otherwise I'll be in Loughborough in Dec if you've still not got it sorted...

TEAMWAYSIDE21
Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 13:18
thanks for that,but i wouldn't mind knowinhg hat the problem could be...

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 13:27
When did you change the fluid...?
any liquid around the wheels...?
Any liquid around the Clutch...? (same system)

I'm not sure how to check your master cylinder for problems.....??

stuAWD
Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 14:19
Could be the servo. To test, with engine not running, pump brake up and down a few times, keep pressure on brake pedal, start engine, if brake pedal goes down when engine is started, sevo unit ok.
May also be a seal in the master cylinder. You say car pulls to one side, could be a number of things. Take JUDGENINJA's advice get a brake test, before you damage yourself, or worse someone else.

lance
Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 14:22
Sounds like your master cylinder could be on its way or a Brake fluid change long over due (boiled to many times and contains air, no longer hydroscopic)
I would change fluid and check for leaks when bleading.

gazjacko
Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 17:17
Does it go to the floor every time or just on first application? If so you could be taking up 'slack' in the system where movement of one of the discs is pushing the pads back into the caliper, this would also cause an initial pull to one side then the braking would even up.

Tiff_T5
Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 23:21
If it pulls to the side under braking,could be a sticking caliper,which in turn would heat up the fluid,leading to a long pedal.. This happens about once a week in an X1/9......