PDA

View Full Version : C70 T5 - more issues...

ben_g40
Thursday 12th February 2015, 16:51
Hi all,

more problems with the C70.
The radiator light came on on Monday. I noticed when pulling up, a bit of steam coming from under the bonnet.
Under closer examination it looked to be coming from the radiator. I topped it up and have ordered a radiator which I'll fit tomorrow.
On pulling up tonight, the steam was there yet again. I thought I'd have a quick look under the bonnet and saw the water around the same are.

My concern is that the radiator is actually splitting! I don't remember seeing anything as obvious as that on Monday however it was dark.
Is the radiator plastic swelling and cracking because of another fault? There seems to be quite a lot of pressure in the top hose which adds to my concerns.

I've got to drive the car 70 miles home tomorrow which is what is really worrying me. Could really do without the radiator going all together!!!

Anyone with any experience of the radiator going like this?

Ben

stribo
Thursday 12th February 2015, 17:58
The radiator is a metal core, with plastic end tanks, what happens is that with age the plastic parts company with the metal.

ben_g40
Thursday 12th February 2015, 18:03
Not in this case Stribo - the plastic is actually swelling and a split has formed around 2-3 inches in length that I can see....

It just seems strange that it would go like this...?

Wobbly Dave
Friday 13th February 2015, 00:25
I have had 2 rads in 9 years. The plastic deteriorates with time, heat expansion and they do fail. Sadly I don't have any spares.

stribo
Friday 13th February 2015, 08:04
If you want a fit and forget solution, fit a do88 one, they're quite pricey, but their all alloy construction means they'll outlast the car.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 13th February 2015, 11:38
Didn't make economic sense to me to buy the do88 one.

jamesy12345
Friday 13th February 2015, 11:55

depends if you are paying for fitting - price of a radiator plus fitting x 2 (over your nine years) must be similar price for fitting an alloy one once?

ben_g40
Friday 13th February 2015, 12:03
I've already purchased a rad. Just a normal one for now. Can't see me having the car long enough to be concerned about it going again.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Now the fun job this afternoon of fitting it....

stribo
Friday 13th February 2015, 12:17
I've already purchased a rad. Just a normal one for now. Can't see me having the car long enough to be concerned about it going again.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Now the fun job this afternoon of fitting it....

You have no idea how much fun it's going to be, the captive nuts that hold the the rad retaining bolts go into have a habit of snapping the weld holding them, and as they're circular, you have to cut the bolts to get the rad out, real PITA job, especially if you're leaving the front end intact, I removed mine to change my intercooler and rad.
do88 rad in place, note the new stainless steel nuts and bolts holding it in:
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo174/RSCougar/Volvo%20C70/WP_20140315_10_25_31_Pro.jpg (http://s373.photobucket.com/user/RSCougar/media/Volvo%20C70/WP_20140315_10_25_31_Pro.jpg.html)

stribo
Friday 13th February 2015, 12:17

With your engine build Dave, I thought you'd have gone belt and braces on the cooling.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 17th February 2015, 22:51
There is nothing wrong with the standard rad - coolant temps have never been an issue.