PDA

View Full Version : HID Kit and No Bulb Failure Message!

JamesT5
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:29
Interesting, the HID kit fitted to the S60 doesn't cause a bulb failure message yet the one fitted to the V70 does, yet the later (V70 version) claims to be a 'Canbus Error Free' kit (rubbish, I know!) whereas the version on the S60 doesn't. Different kits on different cars. Obvious answer is either the S60 lacks the bulb failure warning system (lower spec car) :D , or the kit is inadvertently stopping the bulb failure warning. Either way I'm pleased as punch.... :D :B_thumb:

claymore
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:33
Thanks for sharing that very useful information with us all.

JamesT5
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:36

It's useful to someone who may not want to fart about fitting load resistors..... :smileypul

claymore
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:42
How is it useful, you have just stated that one set works but you don't know if you have a bulb failure warning on the car, and the set that should work doesn't.

JamesT5
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:44
How is it useful, you have just stated that one set works but you don't know if you have a bulb failure warning on the car, and the set that should work doesn't.

Colin, this is a forum. 'Healthy' discussion on the matter should be encouraged.

p fandango
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:44
my 52 plate S60 didn't throw a bulb failure light, but my old mans 03 plate S60 did. I think that has more to do with it than being a S60 or a V70

Ettienne
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:46

he's an obsessive poster.

Plus not forgetting the hids in the non hid lights and reflectors etc.

Another useful post.

JamesT5
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:47
my 52 plate S60 didn't throw a bulb failure light, but my old mans 03 plate S60 did. I think that has more to do with it than being a S60 or a V70

Which supports me theory that V70's and S60's of a similar age have different specs, the V70 is more 'trumped up'. In this case, the lack of bulb warning is actually a blessing....

Ettienne
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:47
Colin, this is a forum. 'Healthy' discussion on the matter should be encouraged.

Again James your encouraging people to fit hids to cars not designed for them, will they pass the mot whilst fitted?

JamesT5
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:49
Again James your encouraging people to fit hids to cars not designed for them, will they pass the mot whilst fitted?

I haven't done that actually, this is about whether the electronics will make the car throw a bulb failure message, not the suitability of the headlamp unit to support a HID kit; that's a separate topic. I refer you to the 'title' of this thread...

claymore
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:50
Which supports me theory that V70's and S60's of a similar age have different specs, the V70 is more 'trumped up'. In this case, the lack of bulb warning is actually a blessing....
It has nothing to do with age, it has to do with the fact that one car is a poverty spec diesel while the other is a T5. We have had this discussion with you before, now either you are too thick to understand (which I don't believe) or you are posting just to get a reaction.

p fandango
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:51
i'm lost, they were both tested in S60's we don't know anyone with a V70. What it does show is that there was a software change between 52 & 03, which could be seen with some of the changes within the cars (my traction control off message disappeared itself, the 03 had to be clicked before the message would go)

JamesT5
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:52
i'm lost, they were both tested in S60's we don't know anyone with a V70. What it does show is that there was a software change between 52 & 03, which could be seen with some of the changes within the cars (my traction control off message disappeared itself, the 03 had to be clicked before the message would go)

My V70 is a 2001 and it throws a bulb failure message with the HID kit on it.

dant5r
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:54

Don't you mean "useless information"

Ettienne
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:55
I haven't done that actually, this is about whether the electronics will make the car throw a bulb failure message, not the suitability of the headlamp unit to hold a HID kit; that's a separate topic. I refer you to the 'title' of this thread...

So why do it at all if it's not legal?

JamesT5
Saturday 7th February 2015, 20:57
So why do it at all if it's not legal?

Again that's not relevant, this is about the software/electronics suitability not the headlamp units.

Harvey
Saturday 7th February 2015, 21:03
So what wattage kits are fitted as hid kits use less power when running but use a fair bit more to fire them up over stock bulbs.

Ettienne
Saturday 7th February 2015, 21:03
Again that's not relevant, this is about the software/electronics suitability not the headlamp units.

Oh sorry my mistake, so if you want to illegally fit hids to a non hdi, drive in contrary to your mot, dazzle other road users and possibly cause an accident, then the best car to do this in is a piece of crap early s60 d5. Thanks for clearing that up and I'll sleep better at night now :)

JamesT5
Saturday 7th February 2015, 21:06
So what wattage kits are fitted as hid kits use less power when running but use a fair bit more to fire them up over stock bulbs.

55W 5000K on dipped and main, brilliant bit of kit, lights the road up like a football stadium. I've only been flashed once plus I'm fitting the H7R anti-glare bulbs soon. :D

Ettienne
Saturday 7th February 2015, 21:07
55W 5000K on dipped and main, brilliant bit of kit, lights the road up like a football stadium. I've only been flashed once plus I'm fitting the H7R anti-glare bulbs soon. :D

Why not sell both and buy a later d5 with hids and more bhp?

JamesT5
Saturday 7th February 2015, 21:07
Oh sorry my mistake, so if you want to illegally fit hids to a non hdi, drive in contrary to your mot, dazzle other road users and possibly cause an accident, then the best car to do this in is a piece of crap early s60 d5. Thanks for clearing that up and I'll sleep better at night now :)

So long as they're EU approved they aren't necessarily illegal plus you can get the anti-glare bulbs or projector fittings for them.

JamesT5
Saturday 7th February 2015, 21:11

Because I don't want to. :D

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 7th February 2015, 21:20
So long as they're EU approved they aren't necessarily illegal plus you can get the anti-glare bulbs or projector fittings for them.

What is an anti glare hid bulb? Any links?

Ettienne
Saturday 7th February 2015, 21:26
Because I don't want to. :D

I thought that was a sensible idea, I've witnessed the poor performance from the t5 on the Dyno, and you wanted to save money.

You'd have cheaper road tax, more power, less insurance, 1 mot, more mpg and hids if you choose a decent spec.

volvokid
Saturday 7th February 2015, 21:29
I've wrote on this issue before when you mention the S60 is the inferior of Volvos 2 models and you genuinely are an idiot! I have no idea why you keep saying this , I have both and my S60 has all the options that my R has appart from the R specific parts! the interiors are nearly identical and the same can be said for the engine bay everything is in the same place and there is no inferior parts fitted to the S60, you really need to stop saying this it gets on my tits every time I see it posted, it's utter gash.

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 7th February 2015, 21:42
Martyn, your responses are what he wants, just ignore him mate

volvokid
Saturday 7th February 2015, 21:45
Martyn, your responses are what he wants, just ignore him mate

Cheers Mike I will, I've never had someone on a forum that has the ability to wind me up like this before.

claymore
Saturday 7th February 2015, 21:52
Cheers Mike I will, I've never had someone on a forum that has the ability to wind me up like this before.
he does it to us all, the place was much nicer when he was suspended for a month.

Sharkey R
Sunday 8th February 2015, 08:40
I'm not gonna say anything other than:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120606172804/http:/assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

Now my understanding of this is that if you want "AFTERMARKET HIDS" you need to buy specific headlights to fit them in. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. When I converted my old E34 BMW to HIDs I bought aftermarket Halo style headlights that actually were designed to be used with HID bulbs.

Harvey
Sunday 8th February 2015, 08:56
don't forget to tell you insurance company you cars headlights are no longer typed approved for on road use (hid kits state for off road use only in the small print).

That's one reason I just got some type approved fog lights ,as fitting hids to the factory fog lights would make the cars lights illegal as they haven't been tested and signed off for road use.

No big deal, you have a bad crash your insurance company will be happy to get you to refund them, what they had to pay out,as you insurance would be void.

Santa
Sunday 8th February 2015, 09:01

My V70 is a 2001 and it throws a bulb failure message with the HID kit on it.

Duane's post still could have merit. Do we know the versions of various software (and even hardware components) of each car? As I understand it, you bought both cars used, software updates (and even software settings) among other things could have been changed during the life of the car before you got it.

Could this be a "spec" thing, possibly...........sounds to me like it would cost more to include/exclude it at a hardware level than it would be to just implement on every car. (So if it is a spec thing, it could be software, which again could merely indicate a software setting).

Sounds potentially like the canbus error free kit you bought is junk, probably worth returning.

Does the S60 throw up a bulb warning when the bulbs are disconnected? (Any bulb).
If you swap the S60 kit into the V70, does the V70 still present a bulb warning?

Either way, there is no obvious answer based on the information provided in your first post.

S70T5Chris
Sunday 8th February 2015, 09:32
On the the one hand James, I find most of the posts you write to be irritating, completely useless and a constant attention seeking wind up.

But then on the other hand it's 'THE' 'HUGE' '££££ING' 'OVERUSE' 'OF' '££££ING' 'INVERTED' 'COMMAS' 'FOR' 'EVERY' 'OTHER' '££££ING' 'WORD' 'THAT' 'REALLY' 'MAKES' 'MY' 'D!CK' 'ITCH' 'THE' 'MOST'. <----- Yes this was 'SHOUTING'.

Good luck getting your stadium lights to function properly. Maybe you just ££££ed something up? That wouldn't be out of the ordinary would it?

As you were.

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 8th February 2015, 09:44
Seriously guys, he knows exactly how to start a thread that will press all the right buttons to wind so many people up on this forum. All the angry wound up replies is exactly what he wants. Just don't reply and this thread would just get forgotten about very quickly, James would get bored and just go away.

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 8th February 2015, 09:57
At my work we fit a lot of tow bars and it's very hit and miss as to whether we need to fit multiplex wiring kits. One car going by the application list will say it doesn't need it, but when the car arrives we find it does. This happens a lot even when the cars are the same year of manufacture.
With bulbs as another example, led side lights, my Bm I've fitted Osram led side light bulbs so they match the xenon headlamps and have no issues whatsoever. I've sold loads of these, but some fitted to other Bm's of the same age as mine, will either flicker when fitted or throw up a bulb failure light on the dash. Other times people come in having fitted cheap Chinese ones and they throw up a code, but fit the Osrams and have no issues.

stribo
Sunday 8th February 2015, 10:12

Because even if he sold both of them, he wouldn't clear a grand, so there's no way he'd be able to afford a decent P2.

Ettienne
Sunday 8th February 2015, 10:21
Because even if he sold both of them, he wouldn't clear a grand, so there's no way he'd be able to afford a decent P2.

With all the new parts he could break them lol.

stribo
Sunday 8th February 2015, 10:23
With all the new parts he could break them lol.

The parts would be no good by the time he'd cut them off with an angle grinder. :D

JamesT5
Sunday 8th February 2015, 20:11
What is an anti glare hid bulb? Any links?

Oh yes, there most certainly is...... :D :B_thumb: http://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7r-anti-glare-replacement-hid-bulbs.html

JamesT5
Sunday 8th February 2015, 20:27
On the the one hand James, I find most of the posts you write to be irritating, completely useless and a constant attention seeking wind up.

But then on the other hand it's 'THE' 'HUGE' '££££ING' 'OVERUSE' 'OF' '££££ING' 'INVERTED' 'COMMAS' 'FOR' 'EVERY' 'OTHER' '££££ING' 'WORD' 'THAT' 'REALLY' 'MAKES' 'MY' 'D!CK' 'ITCH' 'THE' 'MOST'. <----- Yes this was 'SHOUTING'.

Good luck getting your stadium lights to function properly. Maybe you just ££££ed something up? That wouldn't be out of the ordinary would it?

As you were.

PMSL! :hilarious :hihi: Your comments made me laugh!

MoleT-5R
Sunday 8th February 2015, 20:28
Surprise this thread hasn't been locked up yet, as other than some useful bmw info I can't see any further good coming from this thread......MOD's ?????

S70T5Chris
Sunday 8th February 2015, 20:29
PMSL! :hilarious :hihi: Your comments made me laugh!

You're "welcome".

JamesT5
Sunday 8th February 2015, 20:29
The parts would be no good by the time he'd cut them off with an angle grinder. :D

Another 'witty' comment from Steve..... I'm actually smiling at these everyone so keep 'em coming. :B_thumb: :D

JamesT5
Sunday 8th February 2015, 20:30
You're "welcome".

I hope 'it' has stopped itching now. If not I'm sure this thread will shed some 'light' on the problem..... ;) :D :hilarious

Ettienne
Sunday 8th February 2015, 21:35
Another 'witty' comment from Steve..... I'm actually smiling at these everyone so keep 'em coming. :B_thumb: :D

And as always james, nobody cares

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 8th February 2015, 21:50

your headlamp lenses are reflector ones I would of thought so the H7R anti glare bulbs won't work with them.

JamesT5
Monday 9th February 2015, 20:23
your headlamp lenses are reflector ones I would of thought so the H7R anti glare bulbs won't work with them.

On the contrary, H7R bulbs are designed to be used with reflector lenses, what do you think the 'R' stands for... 'Rally'? :hihi: :hilarious In fact, they actually state that the H7R bulbs are not suitable for projector lenses. :D

MIKESC70T5
Monday 9th February 2015, 20:41
On the contrary, H7R bulbs are designed to be used with reflector lenses, what do you think the 'R' stands for... 'Rally'? :hihi: :hilarious In fact, they actually state that the H7R bulbs are not suitable for projector lenses. :D

Ahh okay my mistake. So that's another £41 on bulbs. How's your money saving exercise working out running two cars that are forever bleeding you dry according to your Facebook threads?
Oh by the way, I'm keeping my responses civil, so I'd be happy if you would be so kind as to do the same :B_thumb:

LeeT5
Monday 9th February 2015, 20:51

As you were.

I believe the correct terminology is 'As you were...gents'! :wink:

James, there's no need to be such a jumped up £££££ about it.

To clarify, James you are correct that the bulb shown in your link IS meant for reflector type lenses. If the bulb did not have the 'filter' on the glass then it would only suit projector type lens. However, there is no such thing as a H7R bulb! The R may well stand for 'Reflector' on HIDS4U's website, but that is something they have made up.

Traditionally there is only a H7 bulb. All HIDS4U have done is taken a 'H7' fitment and made a HID bulb to suit and due to it 'illegally' being fitted to a reflector type lens, they've fitted the filter to the glass, which does not make it legal.

So Mike, you are not mistaken, just mislead by James.

Harvey
Monday 9th February 2015, 21:05
Oh yes, there most certainly is...... :D :B_thumb: http://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7r-anti-glare-replacement-hid-bulbs.html

Have a look at there FAQ link.

Is HID xenon Legal?

Unfortunately no aftermarket HID kit is strictly road legal as you are changing the lighting system (from halogen to gas discharge) in your car and for this reason the bulbs can't be E marked which is a legal requirement. You also won't have the self leveling and washer systems installed which is also a legal requirement for HID and without these installed the kit would be an MOT failure. HID kits are plug and play so they are easy to remove and replace with standard bulbs come MOT time. 

JamesT5
Monday 9th February 2015, 21:40
Mike, you need to remove the picture that belongs to me from your avatar and signature picture. You do not have permission to use it and this violation has been reported to site Admin! Please do not upload pictures that belong to me without my permission.

MoleT-5R
Monday 9th February 2015, 21:47
Mike, you need to remove the picture that belongs to me from your avatar and signature picture. You do not have permission to use it and this violation has been reported to site Admin! Please do not upload pictures that belong to me without my permission.

you stuck it in the public domain, so I can see why he can re-use it on your thread.......

Ettienne
Monday 9th February 2015, 21:49

Took you a couple of days to look that up did it?

Ettienne
Monday 9th February 2015, 21:51

James why don't you remove yourself from a forum that doesn't want you.

JamesT5
Monday 9th February 2015, 21:51
you stuck it in the public domain, so I can see why he can re-use it on your thread.......

Because I own the photo and he doesn't have permission to repost it!

MIKESC70T5
Monday 9th February 2015, 21:53

:worried: I found that picture on " Britains most Hated " are you sure it's you .

MoleT-5R
Monday 9th February 2015, 21:58
Because I own the photo and he doesn't have permission to repost it!

don't see any copyright mark on it and looking at it, you didn't take it someone else did, so if anything its there pic, did you have permission to use it in the first place....

dant5r
Monday 9th February 2015, 21:58

One thinks that James has spat out his dummy.

JamesT5
Monday 9th February 2015, 22:03
don't see any copyright mark on it and looking at it, you didn't take it someone else did, so if anything its there pic, did you have permission to use it in the first place....

No, I took that photo and own the right to it. If the signature picture isn't removed swiftly, then the issue will be reported to the social networking site on which I posted the photo with a view to taking action.

stribo
Monday 9th February 2015, 22:07
Hahahahahaha, well people we all know what to do now. ;)

MoleT-5R
Monday 9th February 2015, 22:07
grow up you big baby... what you don't like your own picture... find that most amusing you want to be all over this forum why not let Mike help...you'll enjoy kicking off again and trying to be centre of attention again

MIKESC70T5
Monday 9th February 2015, 22:08
No, I took that photo and own the right to it. If the signature picture isn't removed swiftly, then the issue will be reported to the social networking site on which I posted the photo with a view to taking action.

Your going to take action against the site that you put the photo onto?

claymore
Monday 9th February 2015, 22:08
Ha Ha, this is now hilarious, you seem a little rattled by your own picture, I can see no difference to you posting your picture on your FB page for all the world to see, to Mike posting it up, just in case some of us couldn't see your FB page :)

MIKESC70T5
Monday 9th February 2015, 22:16
Ha Ha, this is now hilarious, you seem a little rattled by your own picture, I can see no difference to you posting your picture on your FB page for all the world to see, to Mike posting it up, just in case some of us couldn't see your FB page :)

I had no idea it was James. All I saw was a picture of a sad man with a greasy comb over and thought it was funny. My son was actually scared of it as it's the sort of picture they show at school saying " do not talk to strangers who look like this "

JamesT5
Monday 9th February 2015, 22:17
Your going to take action against the site that you put the photo onto?

No, against you Mr Kelly!

stribo
Monday 9th February 2015, 22:18
So, Col, you've had Bongo Dave as your avatar, how about JamesT5?

Pinup_gal
Monday 9th February 2015, 22:24
Thread closed!

Can we please stick to using our own pictures and refrain from winding each other up.