PDA

View Full Version : Turbo upgrade (C70)

wojj
Thursday 5th February 2015, 10:11
Hi. I was wanting to upgrade the turbo in my 51 plate Volvo C70 2.0 lpt. I heard that theres a turbo that fits right in, im looking for abit more power. Does anyone know what turbo? Thanks.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 5th February 2015, 10:51
For the money involved you'd be better off selling the 2.0 and buying a T5. C70 will cost the same as the new turbo.

BTW - welcome to the site. :welcome:

stribo
Thursday 5th February 2015, 11:12
If you want to stick with your car, either a 16t or 18t will fit straight in (so will a 19t, but they're harder to find). You will need the car remapped to run the new turbo, you may need to change the injectors too.

WD , how quick a car could you have bought with what you've spent on your C70? Sometimes people just want to be different. ;)

wojj
Thursday 5th February 2015, 12:43
Cheers lads. I bought the car of my dad, the car had a full respray and its well looked after mechanically. I just bought drilled and grooved discs all round for a good price, so id really like to keep it. Just wanted to add more power. I went to a remapping place near me and they said "30bhp and 80nm torque" for 250 quid, not sure if i shiuld do that or change the turbo and then remap it. Cheers!

stribo
Thursday 5th February 2015, 13:22
Change the turbo and injectors first, then remap it. It will need to be a custom map though, as I doubt there's a generic map for a 2.0L with a 16/18t. Dream3r would be the person to contact, he's getting good results mapping ME7 engined cars, and can datalog too.

Ettienne
Thursday 5th February 2015, 13:52
Change the turbo and injectors first, then remap it. It will need to be a custom map though, as I doubt there's a generic map for a 2.0L with a 16/18t. Dream3r would be the person to contact, he's getting good results mapping ME7 engined cars, and can datalog too.

You might be in luck as some of the European markers had 2.0s due to emmisions regs. Especially Italy, maybe a European wide company like mte may have one

Plodmonkey
Thursday 5th February 2015, 21:36
Standard Pistons are fine just need a map to up the boost

Wobbly Dave
Friday 6th February 2015, 14:29
If you want to stick with your car, either a 16t or 18t will fit straight in (so will a 19t, but they're harder to find). You will need the car remapped to run the new turbo, you may need to change the injectors too.

WD , how quick a car could you have bought with what you've spent on your C70? Sometimes people just want to be different. ;)

Exactly with my experience and the massive amounts spent over 9 years of modifying a C70 - I think I have a pretty good idea what works. However never let me stand in the way of original thought.

I am certainly not conceited enough to say that I know it all.

Plodmonkey
Saturday 7th February 2015, 00:14
Hasn't yours spent most of the time broke Dave ;)

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 7th February 2015, 01:50
Actually no and here's why.

Out of the 9 years of owning my C70 T5, only the last 2, where I have really pushed the boundaries, developing a proper race engine with forged internals to support the use of the Garrett GTX turbo has the reliability been an issue. I did over 120K miles on the 19T without many issues. I accept that stepping up to another level was invariably going to be more problematic. No-one else has tried to do what I have done with my configuration, and yes you could argue about why I bother and criticise the base platform from which this thing has grown, but part of the agony/ecstacy is the SSB - my SSB. And it certainly isn't without high points as well as lows. There has been a certain amount of organic growth in the project because nothing I've done since the end of 2012 has been attempted before, at least not that I am aware of. Indeed the latest failure where the entire cylinder head was pushed up by the force of the engine (woo-hoo go engine), is yet another example of finding the edge of the envelope. I've put better bolts in this time and off we go again. Hindsight is a marvelous gift and entirely pointless waste of time. Currently I have a lot on my plate, so in someways having it OTT is a weight off my mind. I don't actually need it day to day.

Knowing what I know - I wouldn't recommend following me along my GTX conversion, certainly not for a daily driver. And furthermore I would probably start with something else other than a C70. After 9 years I am kinda stuck with it & that suits me fine.

Plodmonkey
Saturday 7th February 2015, 11:13
I love your commitment to the build and it has been good watching it progress but that whole post was ruined by the words YOLO please never again use that word in a sentence.

stribo
Saturday 7th February 2015, 11:30
I love your commitment to the build and it has been good watching it progress but that whole post was ruined by the words YOLO please never again use that word in a sentence.

Glad I'm not the only one who hates YOLO.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 7th February 2015, 12:43

Now removed. Technically it's an acronym but I was unsure about using it anyway. So I don't make anymore heinous errors what other banal platitudes are banned? Carpe diem, perhaps? Use of the word journey in anything other than a literal sense?

stribo
Saturday 7th February 2015, 13:25
Now removed. Technically it's an acronym but I was unsure about using it anyway. So I don't make anymore heinous errors what other banal platitudes are banned? Carpe diem, perhaps? Use of the word journey in anything other than a literal sense?

Carpe diem is fine, and should always be used instead of YOLO. :P