PDA

View Full Version : Quick Qu please! £325 for front discs and pads (2007 2.4 T5) -OK or cheaper options?

da_murphster
Thursday 5th February 2015, 09:25
Car in with a well reputed garage - just told me I need front discs and pads - comes in at £232 for discs and pads (police spec 320mm) and £95ish fitting.

Is this OK and am I best going for standard stuff (no track work etc)

Anyone able to point me at a cheaper, decent option?

da_murphster
Thursday 5th February 2015, 09:32
Edited to add - I assume my discs are 320mm? Could they be 316mm?

jamesy12345
Thursday 5th February 2015, 09:40
I got to about 150 quid total for 2 discs & a box of pads from Parts for Volvos

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=5955

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=4581 (hope there are 4 pads in the box!)

I think the discs are not original volvo though

merc85
Thursday 5th February 2015, 09:56
I could do the same as above in TRW Lucas £110 inc vat and delivery

da_murphster
Thursday 5th February 2015, 10:00
FRF can do the discs / pads for £40 less delivered. Think I'm going to go with that and a cheaper local garage

Ettienne
Thursday 5th February 2015, 10:12
I bought some qh discs on eBay £10.50 each delivered 302mm, for a cheap car a while back

MaxTS
Thursday 5th February 2015, 10:33
That does seem very steep plus the labor costs. But then again I am a qualified mechanic and never use garages so I do not know the going rates to be fair but it shouldn't take more than an hour with at fully set up garage.

I would advise to get the parts yourself preferably from the links Jamesy had posted and find a cheaper place or even use the same garage.

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 5th February 2015, 10:48
I won't say the garage has over quoted at £232, but we're all tight arses... You can always get them cheaper..

JamesT5
Thursday 5th February 2015, 11:11
Fit them yourself, it's an easy job. Also, try Delphi brake parts or something 'middle of the road' as they're a good quality vs price option, this is of course unless you will be doing lots of track days and want the better brakes.

stribo
Thursday 5th February 2015, 11:18
If you add your location, there may be a local member that'll do it for a few beer tokens.

Jimmie
Thursday 5th February 2015, 11:31
Its ok doing the job yourself as long as you don't need to heat the studs to get them out if they are seized solid.
The fitting price will I imagine be for two hours labour in case of problems

stribo
Thursday 5th February 2015, 11:39
Its ok doing the job yourself as long as you don't need to heat the studs to get them out if they are seized solid.
The fitting price will I imagine be for two hours labour in case of problems

Which studs? With the wheel off, there's two bolts holding the caliper on, and 2 bolts holding the carrier on, there may or may not be a small locating bolt for the disc. Piece of cake. :D

Jimmie
Thursday 5th February 2015, 11:48
I take you've never had the studs holding the carrier on seized on then

stribo
Thursday 5th February 2015, 12:10
I take you've never had the studs holding the carrier on seized on then

No, but I have a long breaker bar. ;)

jamesy12345
Thursday 5th February 2015, 12:19

Good chat up line

Jimmie
Thursday 5th February 2015, 12:34

The same as the garage then but they still needed the added help of heat.:smirk:

da_murphster
Friday 6th February 2015, 09:50
I have ordered from Frf, I have been told that volvo discs are decent and the pads were not much.

I would usually fit myself but time is scarce at the moment - will try and find a cheaper local garage.

The brakes were fine at last mot - I'm pretty shocked at how quickly it has munched through the brakes!

Jimmie
Friday 6th February 2015, 12:13
Have you thought about getting a price from a Volvo dealer not far from you?