PDA

View Full Version : 850R Mods so far.

Theador
Monday 2nd February 2015, 13:41
Here we go, looking for opinions on what's best to do next. Shem recons we should do a motronic 4.4 conversion and maybe a 3" MAF, along with Intercooler and new rad. And considering where he's got the car to already I'll prob go ahead with it.

What would you do?

Mods so far.
1997 855R AUTO
Manual conversion using box and bits out of my T5
Blue injectors
Factory rip kit with do88 silicon hoses
GWE highflow intake pipe (yet to be put back on after engine swap)
18t turbo angled
Me7 manifold
3" GWE down pipe with 200cel cat
302 brakes up front.
IPD anti roll bars
Eibach springs
Bilstein B4 shocks
Jetex exhaust (yet to be fitted)
Remapped conservatively to avoid bending rods.

Goes like stink, but wouldn't mind a little more.
Don't want to make it too twitchy, so will probably draw the line just before lightening flywheels etc.

I was thinking:
Faster:
Upgrade the rods
Put a fast road cam in
map it with more boost

Handling
Look at putting bigger brakes on. What have others done here?
Maybe put a 6 speed box on. What have others put on? Focus ST box?

I want to keep the engine bay and exterior 'looking' as stock as possible.

R-200vi
Sunday 15th February 2015, 22:56
You could always use a set of N/A cams as they will act as good as a set of fast road cams.

Doingitsideways
Sunday 15th February 2015, 23:21
Yeah, Focus ST 'box will fit with a bit of swearing. Nice conversion that.

Have to agree about the N/A cams. I've got them in mine and they make a nice little mod.
Nice and torquey off boost too, so there's still something to go at before it comes on boost ;)

Ettienne
Sunday 15th February 2015, 23:45
The focus box requires more than swearing, I've fitted 4 with rob, but well worth it, makes more difference than you'd expect.

jamesy12345
Sunday 15th February 2015, 23:45
Depends what you plan on using the car for really...if using the car on the track maybe improve the brakes & cooling....

Or for drag racing leave the mods as is & stick a nitrous kit on it :)....a decent set of tyres will bring your quarter mile times down more than NA cams, but as Steve (Sideways) says above they are better off boost = on the road

Theador
Monday 16th February 2015, 08:13
The car is for getting me safely to and from work (it's a Volvo), hauling rubbish to the dump and taking the (soon to be) dog for walks. Well; that's what the wife thinks anyway.

It's for fun on the road and a few track days a year, so the NA cams may be a good mod then.

Does a gripper diff from an m56 box fit an ST box? I'm guessing not. Please excuse the novice questions, beyond General maintenance, and changing exhausts/suspension, my modding experience is low :-D

Depends what you plan on using the car for really...if using the car on the track maybe improve the brakes & cooling....

Or for drag racing leave the mods as is & stick a nitrous kit on it :)....a decent set of tyres will bring your quarter mile times down more than NA cams, but as Steve (Sideways) says above they are better off boost = on the road

Ettienne
Monday 16th February 2015, 08:34
Yes it does fit, but needs easing a little.

Theador
Monday 16th February 2015, 09:47
As in make the thing a bit softer? I'm going to go for a fairly easy set up geared more for road first off anyway until I get used to it; so maybe that would translate into an ST box upgrade nicely :) (Man math at it's best there)

don kalmar union
Monday 16th February 2015, 12:48
From memory you can also use the M56 from the earlier normally aspirated cars that has a lower final drive.... one better was the M56 that was in the Renault Safrane with an even lower ratio.

Did the old NA swap in my old S70 T5 years ago... really good results....

Ettienne
Monday 16th February 2015, 13:16
From memory you can also use the M56 from the earlier normally aspirated cars that has a lower final drive.... one better was the M56 that was in the Renault Safrane with an even lower ratio.

Did the old NA swap in my old S70 T5 years ago... really good results....

The st m66 is like the shorter ratio m56 box with the benefit of the 6th gear, so it's the best of both worlds, and the shorter raios do make a difference to drivability and getting on boost quicker.

mzafeer76
Monday 2nd March 2015, 17:38
The ST box..its something ive looking at for my 850 t5..anyone decent around the midlands that can pop it in for me??

Ettienne
Monday 2nd March 2015, 19:02
The ST box..its something ive looking at for my 850 t5..anyone decent around the midlands that can pop it in for me??

You could try tim Williams although I believe he puts the Volvo box in, we used the st box as we made bespoke linkages.

mzafeer76
Monday 2nd March 2015, 19:29
Thanks for that i will try Tim need a few things doing..see what he says.

mzafeer76
Monday 2nd March 2015, 19:47
By the way which ST did you use for your box MK1 or 2?? and did you get the linkages made or did you make them yourself?

Theador
Monday 2nd March 2015, 19:49
Shem at Shemtek Autosjust North of Nottingham did a manual conversion in my 850R (M56 box) he's gonna be putting in a gripper diff later this year. Just gotta decide whether to do it on the Volvo box or an ST box.