PDA

View Full Version : Bonny's Back in action!

JamesT5
Thursday 29th January 2015, 20:57
So here we go then, 1 months 'gardening leave' and I've been busy with the S60!

It's back on the road having had some TLC, and aside from a couple of little odds and ends to tie up, it's already paying for itself having saved £200 on my fuel bill this month alone. My hard work really paid off, it passed the MOT with absolutely 'zero' Advisory notices which I was, and still am really pleased about. :D

The T5 is now on some gardening leave of its own where I shall be slowly tackling the performance issues once and for all. Should be a good project for the spring/summer.

V70 Graham
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:13
I thought the S60 had a warning light on the dash James, was it airbag I can't remember.

Jimmie
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:31
What did you do to a motor that I thought had a list of faults to get Zero advisories?

ExternalError
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:34
Must of been a friendly MOT station

JamesT5
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:45
The 'Airbag System Service Required' message disappeared when I cleared the codes with Vida, I suspect a wire was pulled at some point prior to my ownership and it triggered a fault code.

The guy that tested my S60 was the same guy that tested my V70 last year. The V70 had a list of advisory notices but the S60 didn't, so I assume that's just a credit to the S60 rather than a 'friendly MOT tester'. What it does mean is that pound for pound, the S60 may actually be more 'solid' than my V70!

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s562/_JamesT5/img076_zps82ea7c79.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/_JamesT5/media/img076_zps82ea7c79.jpg.html)

JamesT5
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:53
By the way, I missed the funny part. I had the wheel alignment done the other day (it was way out by the way), and they told me that someone had fitted a rear control arm on upside down (no, it wasn't me!). No idea who it was but it did make me laugh! :D

Edit: They took it off and refitted it for me for no extra charge (how nice!) :beer:

Ettienne
Thursday 29th January 2015, 22:05
Glad to see it's still giving you good service, for a cheap car.

JamesT5
Thursday 29th January 2015, 22:08
Glad to see it's still giving you good service, for a cheap car.

It is, the fuel saving over the T5 is massive. I was putting in about £400 a month in Petrol running the T5, the D5 is literally half that and I can tell easily because I have a monthly fuel account with a local garage; I fill up and pay once a month so I can see exactly what I've spent.

Ettienne
Thursday 29th January 2015, 22:42
It is, the fuel saving over the T5 is massive. I was putting in about £400 a month in Petrol running the T5, the D5 is literally half that and I can tell easily because I have a monthly fuel account with a local garage; I fill up and pay once a month so I can see exactly what I've spent.

Very 1950s having a fuel account lol. So if you run it for a year you should see some return, but It may go another year after that I guess.

JamesT5
Thursday 29th January 2015, 22:45
Very 1950s having a fuel account lol. So if you run it for a year you should see some return, but It may go another year after that I guess.

So is my hair style but in both cases it works for me. :D Yes, the car should pay for itself entirely in less that a year........

JamesT5
Friday 30th January 2015, 17:21
Fitted the HID conversion today, I've gone for 5000K 55W kits for both high and low beam. I've been saying, the 5000K is only marginally whiter than the 6000K kit IMO as there is still a hint of blue in them, but I look forward to taking it out in the complete darkness later on and comparing the light output to that of the 6000K 35W low beam kit I have on the T5. I'm expecting it to be a little bit whiter with perhaps a little less 'stray' light (i.e. more light focus). I remember someone from Autobulbs Direct telling me that the higher the K number, the less the light focus.

ploppy
Friday 30th January 2015, 17:36
Hey

great about your mot with the s60 !!

Good for you mate !

have a look at my post re D5 ,,, looking at getting one

Regards Mark aka Ploppy

S70T5Chris
Friday 30th January 2015, 17:58
55w HID's for dipped beam!!! Your gonna get flashed a lot!

Surely that would be an MOT failure? That is way too bright isn't it?

stribo
Friday 30th January 2015, 18:57
That's what I'm fitting to the V70R Chris, if the alignment correct it shouldn't dazzle oncoming traffic.

S70T5Chris
Friday 30th January 2015, 19:00
I've fitted 35w dipped, and 55w high beam to the 850.

55w is f'ing bright!

JamesT5
Friday 30th January 2015, 19:19
55W is what standard light bulbs are. I can adjust the height using the MRA roller to optimise the beam level to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers.

p fandango
Friday 30th January 2015, 19:22
55W is what standard light bulbs are. I can adjust the height using the MRA roller to optimise the beam level to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers.
It's got nothing to do with the light output, the wattage is the power consumption that they draw. With hids being more efficient your going to blind people (hence why I only had 55w's in the main)

JamesT5
Friday 30th January 2015, 19:26
Stadium Lights!

I seem to recall a thread where LeeT5 recommended 55W 5000K bulbs so I took the unusual step of actually taking his advice for a change..... :hidesbehi

JamesT5
Friday 30th January 2015, 19:27
It's got nothing to do with the light output, the wattage is the power consumption that they draw. With hids being more efficient your going to blind people (hence why I only had 55w's in the main)

Duane, can you remember what kit you added to the Fogs? They're still in there, they look like 6000K to me and I take it they're 55W as well?

p fandango
Friday 30th January 2015, 19:29
Duane, can you remember what kit you added to the Fogs? They're still in there, they look like 6000K to me and I take it they're 55W as well?
No their 35w, but they are 6000k

JamesT5
Friday 30th January 2015, 19:33
No their 35w, but they are 6000k

Well 'TriXenon' headlamps should light the road up nicely. :D

JamesT5
Friday 30th January 2015, 19:34
Someone over on Faceache has recommended I use these bulbs..... http://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7r-anti-glare-replacement-hid-bulbs.html

Dangerous Dave
Friday 30th January 2015, 19:37
Someone over on Faceache has recommended I use these bulbs..... http://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7r-anti-glare-replacement-hid-bulbs.html
I use them on my V70 (p1) and they're ok, less glare than an unshrouded bulb but still bright. I used to have the 5000k but changed to the 4300k to get away from the icey white look.

JamesT5
Friday 30th January 2015, 19:45
I use them on my V70 (p1) and they're ok, less glare than an unshrouded bulb but still bright. I used to have the 5000k but changed to the 4300k to get away from the icey white look.

Looking at the 5000K bulbs earlier, there does seem to be a hint of blue in them but not as much as the 6000K kits. Are 4300K yellowish, as they claim?

stribo
Friday 30th January 2015, 19:54
I've fitted 35w dipped, and 55w high beam to the 850.

55w is f'ing bright!

If they're too bright I'll use them for full beam too, and get some 35W for dipped beam.:)

Dangerous Dave
Friday 30th January 2015, 20:26
Are 4300K yellowish, as they claim?
I found them to be a slightly warmer white than the 5000k. They were much better at lighting the road especially in the wet. The 5000k beam seemed to get lost when driving in the rain/damp conditions.

Though as mine are the cheap bulbs they probably aren't near the 4300k specified, they will probably creep closer to 5000k as time goes on.

JamesT5
Friday 30th January 2015, 21:06
HID's are still a bit of a 'Hot Potato' in that there are a lot of mixed views on them, I think it's all down the personal preference at the end of the day.

If everyone had HID's, then the debates about whether they dazzle, whether they are too blue etc, etc, would be far less frequent. To drivers with standard factory fit 'candles' in their cars, the HID's will look comparatively bright. But how would a modern day halogen or standard xenon filament bulb look by comparison if you were to go back in time, say 50 years and compare it to the technology of the day. I've no doubt that LED's or HID's will be standard fitment in the next 20 years or so, which means we are going through a period of technological advancement which people will just have to get used to. The fact remains, the light output of HID's makes driving safer because you can see and be seen more easily.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 30th January 2015, 21:17
They are better suited to the projector type headlamps where the light output is controlled better.

JamesT5
Friday 30th January 2015, 21:19
They are better suited to the projector type headlamps where the light output is controlled better.

Yes, I've read that as well.

JamesT5
Friday 30th January 2015, 21:23

My colleague made me laugh at work last week, he reckons you can make a projector insert for your headlight clusters using a McDonalds McFlurry cup lid and cutting a hole in it.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 30th January 2015, 21:27
My colleague made me laugh at work last week, he reckons you can make a projector insert for your headlight clusters using a McDonalds McFlurry cup lid and cutting a hole in it.
PMSL, that would be a good youtube video.....

pillapow
Friday 30th January 2015, 22:33
Nightbreakers give very good light output for standard light housings, ideally, you need projector lenses for xenons otherwise its a waste of money and you will be getting flashed every 5 mins when you dazzle oncoming drivers.

pillapow
Friday 30th January 2015, 22:35
PMSL, that would be a good youtube video.....

Wow! That gif in your avatar, health and safety? what health and safety?

p fandango
Saturday 31st January 2015, 01:58
ideally, you need projector lenses for xenons otherwise its a waste of money and you will be getting flashed every 5 mins when you dazzle oncoming drivers.
I've used them for many years in standard lights & don't think i've been flashed once & they've also been an improvement over halogens

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 31st January 2015, 19:11
Wow! That gif in your avatar, health and safety? what health and safety?
Good old Group B rallying :D

JamesT5
Saturday 31st January 2015, 19:47
Did well today, I only got flashed once. :)

shepbomb
Saturday 31st January 2015, 20:01
Did you change the headlamp when you fitted the HID's as its illegal if not, the headlamps used must be approved to accept HID kits, HID fitted at factory dont seem to dazzle other road users and i can only presume this is due to the correct headlamp been used, I get fed up of been dazzled by the local chavs and there HID's, any queries see the link below:
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120606172804/http:/assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

JamesT5
Saturday 31st January 2015, 20:42
Did you change the headlamp when you fitted the HID's as its illegal if not, the headlamps used must be approved to accept HID kits, HID fitted at factory dont seem to dazzle other road users and i can only presume this is due to the correct headlamp been used, I get fed up of been dazzled by the local chavs and there HID's, any queries see the link below:
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120606172804/http:/assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

I'm upgrading to H7R bulbs soon which cut the dazzle out and stop drivers flashing you. Keeps the look "OEM".

JamesT5
Saturday 31st January 2015, 20:43
I've even got BongoDave interested in them (yes, really!). :D

stephenevans99
Saturday 31st January 2015, 21:38
I've even got BongoDave interested in them (yes, really!). :D

BongoDave.....the man who claimed his mother had passed away yet she still enjoys watching DVDs....amazing recovery. Send my wishes

hemihusky
Saturday 31st January 2015, 21:48
the guy who told me painting your calipers is part of handling. so my calipers are ferrari red. meaning i can corner like one? :cuckoo:

MoleT-5R
Saturday 31st January 2015, 22:17
may JamesD5 and Bongodave be very happy together a match made in heaven I'd say, James may even play some of bongo's music on his radio show ....possibly

stribo
Saturday 31st January 2015, 22:22
may JamesD5 and Bongodave be very happy together a match made in heaven I'd say, James may even play some of bongo's music on his radio show ....possibly

Surely it should be JamesT5D5. ;)

ExternalError
Saturday 31st January 2015, 22:28

No its James 2.4TD5 as his t5 isnt at full power

MoleT-5R
Saturday 31st January 2015, 22:46

no not at present the T5 is laid up afaik

MoleT-5R
Saturday 31st January 2015, 22:47
[QUOTE=ExternalError;758156]No its James 2.4TD5 as his t5 isnt at full power[/QUOTE

how about SUPERIOR2.4T5D5.....;)

stribo
Saturday 31st January 2015, 23:16
[QUOTE=ExternalError;758156]No its James 2.4TD5 as his t5 isnt at full power[/QUOTE

how about SUPERIOR2.4T5D5.....;)

But his T5 is only 2.3, with the power of a 2L.

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 31st January 2015, 23:20

Factory fit xenons have self adjusting headlamps with proper lenses on them so you don't dazzle other drivers plus auto headlamp washers which wash the headlamps automatically the first time you pull the wiper stalk to get screen wash onto your windscreen when the lights are on.
All these aftermarket hid bulbs are technically illegal and are sold as " for off road use only " .
James being flashed today only goes to prove they are not working properly as his headlamps have the wrong lenses on them and the light they put out is all over the place.

p fandango
Saturday 31st January 2015, 23:27
James being flashed today only goes to prove they are not working properly as his headlamps have the wrong lenses on them and the light they put out is all over the place.
i think you'll find its because he went for the 55w kit, i had 35w's in the same car & never got flashed once

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 31st January 2015, 23:59
i think you'll find its because he went for the 55w kit, i had 35w's in the same car & never got flashed once

Possibly, but still ideally need the proper lenses and adjusters if you want them to work at there best.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 1st February 2015, 00:13
Possibly, but still ideally need the proper lenses and adjusters if you want them to work at there best.

seem to remember a while back, there was a thread with someone doing a headlight conversion with possibly hid's and grinding the lenses and polishing them so they where clear glass with no diffusing ribs, not sure on the adjusters though, will have to dig a bit to find it, its a few years back

volvokid
Sunday 1st February 2015, 08:32
Factory fit xenons have self adjusting headlamps with proper lenses on them so you don't dazzle other drivers plus auto headlamp washers which wash the headlamps automatically the first time you pull the wiper stalk to get screen wash onto your windscreen when the lights are on.
All these aftermarket hid bulbs are technically illegal and are sold as " for off road use only " .

I thought it was an MOT failure if your car had xenons HIDs whatever and didn't have all of the above? yet they will fail my niece for having an air freshener hanging from the mirror WTF honestly!

Ettienne
Sunday 1st February 2015, 08:45

Perhaps James can get some styling advise from bongo, to liven up the look of the t5.

What was it he had, an orange Mazda? The sort of chav car that would make any mother turn over in her grave.

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 1st February 2015, 08:55
seem to remember a while back, there was a thread with someone doing a headlight conversion with possibly hid's and grinding the lenses and polishing them so they where clear glass with no diffusing ribs, not sure on the adjusters though, will have to dig a bit to find it, its a few years back

I thought it was an MOT failure if your car had xenons HIDs whatever and didn't have all of the above? yet they will fail my niece for having an air freshener hanging from the mirror WTF honestly!

My car has factory fitted xenons and when you start the car you can see the headlamps adjusting themselves and settling into the correct position.

As for MOT's, yes all cars with aftermarket hid's should fail, but a lot don't. I sell these aftermarket kits due to supply and demand, and we have to tell people they are not road legal, and most take the kits off before an Mot and put the standard bulbs back in. Depends how friendly you are with the mot station.

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 1st February 2015, 08:59

They would crucify him and rip him a new butt hole on the T5D5 forum :sheep:

S70T5Chris
Sunday 1st February 2015, 09:09

££££ that! We don't want him! Would be interesting mind!

Biff
Sunday 1st February 2015, 09:25
I've used led h4 bulbs in mine. They are 35w & look lovely. Cheaper than hid's & I don't have to worry come mot time.
I'm planning on 55w 5k hid's for my main beam but to be honest with 80w led fog light bulbs I don't really need them even on the darkest Welsh B road.

stribo
Sunday 1st February 2015, 10:40
££££ that! We don't want him! Would be interesting mind!

But that forum's aimed more at him, having a T5 and a D5, than it is with you having an R. ;)

silverhorse
Sunday 1st February 2015, 14:36
Just fitted 55W HID's to the wifes 2008 C70. They are pretty amazing, but the standard halogen Volvo items were dreadful, and as we live in the countryside, she does actually need them! Car has projector lenses so the beam pattern is very crisp and controlled.
And, as a bonus, no 'bulb failure' warnings. Happy days.
Interesting reading about MOT time and possible failure. Will have a chat with the tester and see if these conversions are one of his pet hates.

volvokid
Sunday 1st February 2015, 17:44
Just fitted 55W HID's to the wifes 2008 C70. They are pretty amazing, but the standard halogen Volvo items were dreadful, and as we live in the countryside, she does actually need them! Car has projector lenses so the beam pattern is very crisp and controlled.
Interesting reading about MOT time and possible failure. Will have a chat with the tester and see if these conversions are one of his pet hates.

I remember I hated driving my C70 at night it was actually scary.

Hound
Sunday 1st February 2015, 19:31
I've just driven my C70 back to North Wales from Telford on the A41, and as well as being constantly blinded by other people's headlights, I felt my lights were inadequate, despite being the whiter-than-normal Nightbreaker bulbs. As Martyn says, it was quite scary. :scared: Been looking for crystals for a while but maybe projectors are the way to go - they are more easily obtainable...

LeeT5
Sunday 1st February 2015, 19:42

I wouldn't bother mate.
When I had my Laser Blue R, I fitted the headlights with projectors and 35w 6000k HIDs (unshielded). The beam pattern was as sharp as a razor, as you all know - those that remember, and because the car had headlight wash wipe and headlight beam level control switch, when it came to an MOT questions were never asked. It always passed at the Dealer and another garage.

If you mention it to the MOT tester, then your just drawing attention to the fact you've fitted (non standard) HIDs and he's more likely to fail it based on that, especially if VOSA are in the area.

Fact is, your C70 has projectors anyway so the beam pattern will always be sharp. It also has headlight wash and level control. Just make sure you have the beam alignment checked and adjusted before the MOT and when the tester slides the beam check machine in front of the car, the pattern will be spot on and the correct alignment. If he doesn't 100% know for sure if the car is mean't to have HIDs then he most likely won't assume anything other than they are stock.

Just make sure the ballasts are properly fitted and not so obvious if he checks under the hood.

The HIDs that more likely fail are the ones with unmetered light all over the place and look a stupid blue colour.

On your C70, I would bat an eyelid or even question it, so your better off not saying a word. If it fails because of the HIDs, then you can always just fit the stock bulbs and just get the free retest.

LeeT5
Sunday 1st February 2015, 19:45
Stadium Lights!

I seem to recall a thread where LeeT5 recommended 55W 5000K bulbs so I took the unusual step of actually taking his advice for a change..... :hidesbehi

Really? You sure I recommended 55w? Post the link because I don't believe you.

JamesT5
Sunday 1st February 2015, 20:18

Yes you basically did, you stated you use 5000K and ... "You cannot compare a 35w with a 50w as you will get a completely different light output". In other words, basically recommending the higher wattage bulbs.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?57200-HID-s&highlight=HID%27s

Ettienne
Sunday 1st February 2015, 20:22
Yes you basically did, you stated you use 5000K and ... "You cannot compare a 35w with a 50w as you will get a completely different light output". In other words, basically recommending the higher wattage bulbs.

James firstly I took advise lee posted up and used 35w d2r 6000k. I have seen him post this more than once as I have indeed ask more than once.

Secondly you have just come back on the forum, shall we say after a short break (being polite) and then you start all the same £££££ again "you stated this" "you said that" just ££££ing shut up you £££££!

JamesT5
Sunday 1st February 2015, 20:38
James firstly I took advise lee posted up and used 35w d2r 6000k. I have seen him post this more than once as I have indeed ask more than once.

Secondly you have just come back on the forum, shall we say after a short break (being polite) and then you start all the same £££££ again "you stated this" "you said that" just focking shut up you £££££!

I wouldn't be rude, the Mods will give you a 1 month stint of gardening leave for that whether you think you're in the wrong or not. Anyway, I've actually provided a link to support my opinion so perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to criticise .

Santa
Sunday 1st February 2015, 21:06

Think you may have worked out 2+2 as 5 there

Secondly you have just come back on the forum, shall we say after a short break (being polite) and then you start all the same £££££ again "you stated this" "you said that" just ££££ing shut up you £££££!

I share your point........but please less of the language

I wouldn't be rude, the Mods will give you a 1 month stint of gardening leave for that whether you think you're in the wrong or not. Anyway, I've actually provided a link to support my opinion so perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to criticise .

Problems of enforcements, those that do wrong often don't see it......luckily mods can remain independent and issue enforcement at will. (Especially where we perceive attempts to purposely wind up members).

Ettienne
Sunday 1st February 2015, 21:08

Nobody cares James, and in any case I'm sure there was / would be a reason.

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 1st February 2015, 21:17

James, have you noticed while you have been away, everyone has been getting on. You come back and already getting peoples backs up. Get a life :cool:

JamesT5
Sunday 1st February 2015, 21:23
James, have you noticed while you have been away, everyone has been getting on. You come back and already getting peoples backs up. Get a life :cool:

Don't see how, it's other peoples problem if they 'see red' every time I post.

claymore
Sunday 1st February 2015, 21:30
Don't see how, it's other peoples problem if they 'see red' every time I post.
Don't you think it strange that you are the only person that gets peoples backs up? I find it amazing that you just can't see that the problem is you.

claymore
Sunday 1st February 2015, 21:35
Here you go James, just to clear up your lack of understanding of HID lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev9k0FR8gXI

stribo
Sunday 1st February 2015, 21:36
He's still on my ignore list, so I don't have a problem with anything he posts, maybe others should do the same. I know he posts advice which is misguided at best, and dangerous at worst, but I'm afraid the mods will have to sort that, and if they're unsure about his advice, then censor every posy of his until they get the relevant technical advice, which I'm sure we'd all give them.

Santa
Sunday 1st February 2015, 21:47
Thread has run its course, shame as there were some good points