PDA

View Full Version : Volvo max event!!

Ettienne
Thursday 29th January 2015, 11:33
I will need some help with this people.

Basic idea is a high speed testing at Bruntingthorpe, flat out in safety.

Maybe a mobile Dyno and remaps being offered at the same time.

So the basic idea run your car find the top speed, then you can Dyno or remap if you like.

It's all just planning at this stage.

What I need is people with experience of health and safety and maybe a knowledge of hiring Bruntingthorpe.

We could have 1/4s and topspeed?

I would throw this open to other forums in the uk and Europe, to see if we can make a large event of it.

Ideas please:

S70T5Chris
Thursday 29th January 2015, 11:39
You can hit pretty high speeds at bruntingthorpe, but not top speed. Depending on the car obviously.

y2blade
Thursday 29th January 2015, 11:58
MRP will win this with his 200mph gearbox

Nealevo
Thursday 29th January 2015, 12:31
what Chris said, i doubt that anyone will hit top speed and stop at bruntingthorpe, 204mph is my best 13 shy of top speed, (not in my volvo if you didnt guess) great idea though, i can ask a few people of what is required as i am down there pretty much once a month when in UK. Millbrook may be a better shout, its a bowl and capable of highish speeds (150+) and they have level mile straights and other bits for 1/4 miles

Ettienne
Thursday 29th January 2015, 13:51
Yes please Neil, just spit balling at the moment.

Price would be good

Anyone with knowledge of a mobile Dyno?

Anyone with good euro forum links, maybe Facebook?

Remember all volvo are included.

Ref Bruntingthorpe top speeds, should give an idea of whose is fastest for a laugh and should get quite good speeds 140 plus? Without loosing license and for most it's a chance to experience these cars at speed.

Be good if we could keep it to £75-100 for top speed runs and Dyno? Or a breakdown for just speed runs.

stribo
Thursday 29th January 2015, 14:38
MRP will win this with his 200mph gearbox

His ££££let has a 200mph gearbox? :hilarious

LiamT4
Thursday 29th January 2015, 20:05
I looked into this a few years back and found that it would be hugely expensive, so you will need quite a few people to make it viable.

deathrider311271
Thursday 29th January 2015, 20:55
isnt this already being organized by one of the other forums?

As you are no doubt aware!!!!!!!!!!

stephenevans99
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:05
This is an excellent idea & I reckon it'll be very popular.

There's one very similar being organised by VolvoTuning on the 12th July at Bruntingthorpe, labelled the 'Runway Speed Trial National'. Going off VT's previous events, it should have a superb turnout.

Ettienne
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:08
isnt this already being organized by one of the other forums?

As you are no doubt aware!!!!!!!!!!

Can't say I'd noticed but I shall look and I had the idea of using Bruntingthorpe ages ago, as I'm sure people remember back when daz was on vt, so nothing new here as I'm sure you will also are aware.

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:10
Mr wobbly and I did a high speed run as part of a track day back in the old days. The day was £99 each for an open pitlane, then they shut the track, took us all up to the end, then fired us off one by one down the track.

I did hit close to 150 on the speedo , but I was to busy braking to look properly.

Ettienne
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:10
But if you want to organise one on vt, then I will certainly turn up and have a topspeed run.

As long as it takes place doesn't matter how it is organised.

jamesy12345
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:11
I'd love to try this, hopefully I'll be sacked by then so will be around to attend

aah good times

Ettienne
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:11
Mr wobbly and I did a high speed run as part of a track day back in the old days. The day was £99 each for an open pitlane, then they shut the track, took us all up to the end, then fired us off one by one down the track.

I did hit close to 150 on the speedo , but I was to busy braking to look properly.

Could you not use a road hawk or similar if they had them then.

Ettienne
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:13
This is an excellent idea & I reckon it'll be very popular.

There's one very similar being organised by VolvoTuning on the 12th July at Bruntingthorpe, labelled the 'Runway Speed Trial National'. Going off VT's previous events, it should have a superb turnout.

Is this having a mobile Dyno? And mapping if possible, so people can do back to back comparisons, I thought that would be a good idea.

nosh
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:20
But if you want to organise one on vt, then I will certainly turn up and have a topspeed run.

As long as it takes place doesn't matter how it is organised.

its been organised for a while Mr D as you would have seen :)

we are always open to other clubs & forums getting involved if you want to have a chat about it ..

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:25

It probably could be done, but it was just a sideline for the days track event.

claymore
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:35

we are always open to other clubs & forums getting involved if you want to have a chat about it ..
I must admit, this is the first time I've heard of VT organizing a meet at brunters, I must have missed it.

nosh
Thursday 29th January 2015, 21:46
I must admit, this is the first time I've heard of VT organizing a meet at brunters, I must have missed it.

its been posted up for a few weeks now ... unlike you not to see it colin :)

Ettienne
Thursday 29th January 2015, 22:03

I was thinking more next year and trying to look into maybe making a weekend with camping as well.

But that would need more organising.

I was thinking perhaps dreamer could remap at the runway? Or similar.

Tbh I never look through the event calendar as it's mostly northern locations and I only ever go on vt to look at the Volvo news.

stephenevans99
Friday 30th January 2015, 09:59
Is this having a mobile Dyno? And mapping if possible, so people can do back to back comparisons, I thought that would be a good idea.

I believe the mobile dyno such as DynoDrive (http://www.dynodrive.co.uk/page/96/Mobile-Dyno-Days.htm) was briefly considered & I totally agree that an event like this would be far more attractive if remapping and on-site dyno was available....it's just the overall cost that's the setback.

LiamT4
Friday 30th January 2015, 19:34

Many sat navs record highest speed. Just have one on and whatever it says when your done is the top speed, simple.

Ettienne
Friday 30th January 2015, 19:43
I believe the mobile dyno such as DynoDrive (http://www.dynodrive.co.uk/page/96/Mobile-Dyno-Days.htm) was briefly considered & I totally agree that an event like this would be far more attractive if remapping and on-site dyno was available....it's just the overall cost that's the setback.

If those interested in the Dyno paid up front then a number could be worked out for a discount.

An on site mapper such as dreamer, would probably offer a discount if was doing say 10 remaps at once. It would be a good return for the mapper and a good discount for the buyer.

Ettienne
Friday 30th January 2015, 19:44
Many sat navs record highest speed. Just have one on and whatever it says when your done is the top speed, simple.

I had a road hawk in my first s60r, the 340 bhp one, it recorded some good speeds lol.

Ettienne
Friday 30th January 2015, 20:11
It is possible to hire dunsfold track and airstrip for testing.

This would probably be quite a draw for people (especially Europe forums as well?) as laps of the top gear test track would be possible.

A topgear test track leader board.

I'll give them a ring on Monday and see what's possible.